Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:58:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is IDEX a safe exchange to use. They have an option that asks for private keys.  (Read 1014 times)
btccrusher

Activity: 742
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2018, 06:44:07 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2018, 08:46:02 AM by btccrusher

I was searching on Google "is idex safe" and found this thread on top of the result page. I have some tokens that I no longer want to hodl and that can only be traded via idex right now. So I wanted to make sure this site is safe for use.
My opinion: This site is safe for trading with a second wallet, funds should be transferred ASAP after trading.

Edit: You can use MetaMask to unlock wallet, this should be done without giving the private key, and this is much safer.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marineboss

Activity: 154
Merit: 3

Korean Syndicate / Translator

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 03:45:36 PM

I was searching on Google "is idex safe" and found this thread on top of the result page. I have some tokens that I no longer want to hodl and that can only be traded via idex right now. So I wanted to make sure this site is safe for use.
My opinion: This site is safe for trading with a second wallet, funds should be transferred ASAP after trading.

Edit: You can use MetaMask to unlock wallet, this should be done without giving the private key, and this is much safer.

I actually searched the same thing, and this thread came up top among the search results. I was a bit alarmed when there were options to "unlock wallet" and it didn't sit right with me that I was going to fork over control of my MetaMask.

What now? Is there any other consensus? Do you think there's some hacker that is waiting to pounce and take control over all our IDEX wallets? :/

▐ | ██ | ██ | ██ ||     DAOstack.io     || ██ | ██ | ██ | ▌
AN OPERATING SYSTEM FOR COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE
Victorycoin

Activity: 1134
Merit: 517

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 02:37:49 PM

I was searching about IDEX and found this thread , Hmmm most of the people posted here do not know how decentralized exchange is working !

Simply never import your own private keys of your main wallet , just make a new disposable wallet and only transfer money ETH or tokens to it When/If need to make trade . It is the same thing with every decentralized exchange ( Etherdelta , IDEX ... ect )
Put in another way, to have to use decentralized exchanges, we"re going to have to divulge our private keys and as such it ceases to be private. That's highly undesirable and maybe in the future it's going to be improved upon, so for anyone interested in using this exchange, best option is as suggested above or continue with centralized exchanges.
Crypto S
Copper Member

Activity: 243
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 04:21:27 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2018, 07:21:45 PM by Crypto S

Put in another way, to have to use decentralized exchanges, we"re going to have to divulge our private keys and as such it ceases to be private. That's highly undesirable and maybe in the future it's going to be improved upon, so for anyone interested in using this exchange, best option is as suggested above or continue with centralized exchanges.

Hello guys , i  am sorry for all those IDEX users. However, i believe that the divulging of private keys is no longer necessary and  a lot of new safety measures have been implemented, at least  for other exchanges. I have been using Ethen ( ethen.market ) , which is a new DEX and i find it very useful, you dont even need an account ! i haven't encountered any issues so far and it is very fast !

Wackyabby

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 01:28:35 PM

It is never safe to put your private keys on a third party website. I think the best one can do is to create another wallet for that purpose or better still use metamask which is safer.
mrcase87

Activity: 23

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 08:09:28 AM

Not really sure why they have that option. Its like giving the keys to the house to a stranger.

They've become the worst exchnage. Now they r positioning themselves as non-DEX. It's stupid. They implemented KYC. sorry, what??

They really don't know there are many-many competitors? Brand new exchanges offer better conditions now. EtherMium, for instance. Recommend IDEX to google, really noteworthy exchange. And not only this one. Take into account old ones (Bitshares etc.).
ishirut009

Activity: 616
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 01:35:32 PM

Not really sure why they have that option. Its like giving the keys to the house to a stranger.

it is because it is a decentralized dex, you just dont use your main eth wallet. make a new mew wallet then pass the coin or token you wanna sell with some eth for transaction fee.

botros

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 04:18:30 AM

mmmm

i use meta mask chrome extention ..  with my main wallet .

meta mask  is the one who deals with the IDEX securely ...  so i don,t think there is any thing that worries
botros

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 04:21:42 AM

but the main issue her is :

is it a safe place place to leave my coin there ??  i don,t think there is any safe place unless u have yr own PVT KEYS for yr wallet .

so all coins on the exchange even if its DEX r not safe
elda34b

Activity: 910
Merit: 351

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 07:05:41 AM

but the main issue her is :
is it a safe place place to leave my coin there ??  i don,t think there is any safe place unless u have yr own PVT KEYS for yr wallet .
so all coins on the exchange even if its DEX r not safe

Any DEX is not made to function as your private wallet, so of course, it's still not safe even though you're basically just interacting with their contract.

They never promote them as a safe place to store your asset so I guess any user would know that they're just an exchange. Just remember, no private key, not your coins.
Victorycoin

Activity: 1134
Merit: 517

View Profile
May 19, 2019, 10:35:32 AM

I have used IDEX exchanger multiple times and it seems safe to me a lot so I do not think anyone can loss anything for using IDEX exchanger  if there is not anything wrong like stolen fund as it was happened for a lot of exchanges.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: