Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:17:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dannyjr89  (Read 106 times)
kauleto (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:38:13 PM

What happened::
This user scammed me out of 0,054BTC. I posted on the Semux OTC thread that I wanted to buy 1200 SEM at 9000sat/SEM. He responded and messaged me on Bitcoin Talk and Telegram and we agreed that I would have to send him half of my Bitcoins, then he would send me half of his SEM then I would have to send the rest and he would too, but after I sent him the initial payment of 0,054 Bitcoins, he stopped responding and changed his e-mail on his Bitcoin Talk account. He seems to log in often, but has stopped responding to my PMs for 3 days now.
Scammers Profile Link:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=103018
Reference Link:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2281323.msg27296016#msg27296016
Amount Scammed:
0,054 Bitcoin
Payment Method:
Bitcoin
Proof of Payment:
https://btc.com/1af15eeeeeccea1820fbae875684c2a5cc4194955e31b47a26dba492417d7d71
(The transaction was sent from the Binance exchange, thus has many aggregated input/output pairs)
PM/Chat Logs:
Here is an imgur album of our chat logs on both Bitcoin Talk and Telegram(Because I can't send more than two messages a day with the newbie limit)
https://imgur.com/a/VKQFc
Additional Notes:
Be aware of this scammer, especially since he has recently changed his e-mail on the forum(as seen here => https://imgur.com/a/RYD0g). He might come back with an alternate account and scam more people.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
warningsigns

Activity: 896
Merit: 1082

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:03:07 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 12:27:50 AM by warningsigns

This is the "increments" scam, a variation of the full blown scam itself. The scammer usually tried to extract the maximum or entire coins from you first. If you refuse or hesitate, the scammer will quickly try to save the day by asking for a deposit instead. Small talk and rapport building are then used to try to rebuild and win the victim's confidence and when the time is right, he will go for the kill by asking for 50% or more upfront. By this time, the victim will have been pressure-cooked into doing it. Something like a hypnotized state of mind. After sending coins, the scammer disappears and that's the last you hear from him.

Never ever transact with strangers without escrow. Coins paid upfront are coins forever lost. This is the basic and core rule of Online Transactions 101. Never let a user's rank affect and influence your decision to pay first or to use escrow. Scammers have learned to farm and buy well-aged accounts and use them to portray themselves as established and trusted members.

I just sent him a PM and asked that he defend himself on this thread. If he doesn't, then a DT member should please tag the account to give him a 0.054 btc lesson to remember.

kauleto (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 11:35:54 AM

This is the "increments" scam, a variation of the full blown scam itself. The scammer usually tried to extract the maximum or entire coins from you first. If you refuse or hesitate, the scammer will quickly try to save the day by asking for a deposit instead. Small talk and rapport building are then used to try to rebuild and win the victim's confidence and when the time is right, he will go for the kill by asking for 50% or more upfront. By this time, the victim will have been pressure-cooked into doing it. Something like a hypnotized state of mind. After sending coins, the scammer disappears and that's the last you hear from him.

Never ever transact with strangers without escrow. Coins paid upfront are coins forever lost. This is the basic and core rule of Online Transactions 101. Never let a user's rank affect and influence your decision to pay first or to use escrow. Scammers have learned to farm and buy well-aged accounts and use them to portray themselves as established and trusted members.

I just sent him a PM and asked that he defend himself on this thread. If he doesn't, then a DT member should please tag the account to give him a 0.054 btc lesson to remember.

Thanks for informing me mate. He also recently changed his e-mail according to the Bitcoin Talk trust page. Maybe he'll just come back with an alternate account on his original e-mail.
skymia

Activity: 140
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 02:21:20 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience, thank you for sharing the lesson...

Discordapp.com/invite/fQcYvkh ❤ Do Good Things-Make Life Better ❤  Masternodes 650% ROI ❤ TeleMedicine ❤ Folding@Home ❤ MEDIC coin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: