Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:10:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: security committee for Bitcoin Core.  (Read 155 times)
izhaqblues (OP)

Activity: 117
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:23:02 PM

Hi guys,

I study information security for some time, which always makes me curious is to know if there is a real police information security.
I would like to know if there is any study to create:
- Development cycle of verses
- test cycle and improvements.
- Bug Report Security and a security committee

The most I found on the subject was:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures

no contacts or even how these CVEs were internalized.

my intention is to contribute with information security tests.

carefully

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:41:29 PM

We need some say over whats going on with fees because what we have now
is extortion from the miners and we have no say over scam fees.

20,000 full nodes are not needed and it leaves too little cream to go around
the 1,000 miners we do need so this CPU war that was started by double
agent S-M needs to be slowed down.

Won't need no security if they don't fix this quick and I mean like yesterday
and they can stick the LN sticking plaster because they knew from day one
that BTC would only scale to about 7 transactions a second, it's just maths

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:55:13 PM

Hi guys,

I study information security for some time, which always makes me curious is to know if there is a real police information security.

carefully

The CVEs were discovered slowly over time by different developers as a part of the development process. Bitcoin has no oversight whatsoever ever at any level.

There’s no oversight over development other than by other devs with a vested interest but there’s no third party oversight.

There is no oversight of mining at all. In fact, most of the pool mining software is proprietary and unknown to all but the mining farm operators.

Exchanges have no oversight other than government oversight in the country where the exchanges are based. Governments have attempted to keep their stupid, gullible citizens from harm but (as in the case of MtGox and BTCe) that effort has mostly failed.

Most wallet software is transparent but failures leading to hacking and theft are commonplace and there is no Federal Depositors Insurance or other type of mechanism to return “bitcoin banking” depositors money back in case of a failure.

Bitcoin is a railroad boxcar full of cash waiting for a train robber to jump on board.

izhaqblues (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:13:29 PM

We need some say over whats going on with fees because what we have now
is extortion from the miners and we have no say over scam fees.

20,000 full nodes are not needed and it leaves too little cream to go around
the 1,000 miners we do need so this CPU war that was started by double
agent S-M needs to be slowed down.

Won't need no security if they don't fix this quick and I mean like yesterday
and they can stick the LN sticking plaster because they knew from day one
that BTC would only scale to about 7 transactions a second, it's just maths

you mentioned scalability issues.

however if you just consult the mempool and search qq. transaction wait.
how to know if it is legitimate? or is it just a badly configured Client-Fork-Bitcoin Spam?
answer:"Won't need no security.."  

there are several "bips" and CVEs on FAKE CONF. a problem caused by ... hummm Miners right?

besides the version: 0.15.2; 0.15.1 and 0.14.3
We have the newly released versions:

Who's taking care of them?
are they safe? should we migrate?
answer:"...it's just maths"

Regarding the adoption of LN this is not a consensus and it is that the LN itself is a separate project.
I am just citing points that in my opinion can be exploited and that can reflect in the number of transactions per second.

at no time did I say that scalability issues do not exist.
but in my view they are symptoms of a project that has many shortcomings besides the obvious.
we have to touch on points that few see, it is precisely they that are explored:
This is just math.

refrain from security is a point, deny everyone the right to an improvement is something much worse ..

Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:52:52 PM

Regarding the adoption of LN this is not a consensus and it is that the LN itself is a separate project.
I am just citing points that in my opinion can be exploited and that can reflect in the number of transactions per second.

LN uses hubs and a better term to use is "Banks" and others like Ripple call them gateways but they are banks
and this leads to some degree of centralization that is needed but how can we trust these developers when they
point blank refuse to accept the obvious and start performing "Words-Smith"

------------------->> Centralization <<-------------------------
Spit it out boys.

in the land of plenty (the internet) the fool is thirsty (Bob Marley quote)

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
izhaqblues (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:12:00 PM

Hi guys,

carefully

The CVEs were discovered slowly over time by different developers as a part of the development process. Bitcoin has no oversight whatsoever ever at any level.

There’s no oversight over development other than by other devs with a vested interest but there’s no third party oversight.

There is no oversight of mining at all. In fact, most of the pool mining software is proprietary and unknown to all but the mining farm operators.

Exchanges have no oversight other than government oversight in the country where the exchanges are based. Governments have attempted to keep their stupid, gullible citizens from harm but (as in the case of MtGox and BTCe) that effort has mostly failed.

Most wallet software is transparent but failures leading to hacking and theft are commonplace and there is no Federal Depositors Insurance or other type of mechanism to return “bitcoin banking” depositors money back in case of a failure.

Bitcoin is a railroad boxcar full of cash waiting for a train robber to jump on board.

thank you very much for your return, much of what you said I agree.

I really liked what you said: Bitcoin is a railroad boxcar full of cash waiting for a train robber to jump on board.

Do you know of any that need help with tests?

Thank you very much for reading the topic and responding very consistently.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:21:57 AM

Hi guys,

carefully

thank you very much for your return, much of what you said I agree.

I really liked what you said: Bitcoin is a railroad boxcar full of cash waiting for a train robber to jump on board.

Do you know of any that need help with tests?

Thank you very much for reading the topic and responding very consistently.

You can find the current list of open issues on GitHub. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues?q=is%3Aopen+sort%3Acreated-desc

Bitcoin core is here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/

You contribute by offering patch proposals using pull requests here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pulls

Discussion is mostly here: https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23bitcoin-core-dev&uio=MTY9dHJ1ZSYxMT0yMTU87

If all you want to do is test then you should ask core devs if they need that kind of help and let them direct you. Bitcoin-Qt (Core) is mostly written in C++. A working knowledge of Python and Java would help. The Bitcoin network (not the client software) is a set of protocols and network standards (like IP, TCP, UDP, HTTP, FTP, ARP and ICMP) and is in natural language so you should have a working knowledge of how protocols work too. I give the devs a lot of shit sometimes but there is no doubt they need to know their stuff and have a ton of knowledge to play on that ballfield.

wahyu.prist

Activity: 165
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:01:31 AM

Bitcoin is very safe to use in some countries and very volatile, so many countries turn to bitcoin and easy transactions.
Thanks #CMIIW
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: