Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:50:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC must split into smaller units to survive  (Read 624 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:29:40 PM

I've listen that everybody trying to solve BTC's problems, but I don't think it could be solved, unless LN could do some amazing job to BTC.

Well, Lightning does actually permit milli-satoshi values. Which is, essentially, splitting the smallest unit (100 millionth of 1 BTC) into a thousand smaller sub-divisions (100 billionths of 1BTC)

Has it really taken 3 pages of the thread for someone to mention this?

Vires in numeris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:04:01 PM

MAh, I don't think split it into smaller units will help it.

No not when it comes to moving the decimal place but they need to split the block-chain up
and move towards using a block-matrix because this is the reason Bitcoin will not scale
plus they knew this nine years ago.

Forget Lightning, it's a sticking plaster that uses mini-banks called hubs and if block-chain is so good
like they keep saying then lets keep it all on block with maybe a minimum value that can be sent as
something like $0.10 to stop spam.

Ripple says you can send real small amounts but it would not work for me when i tried to send
$0.50 to a test wallet but it worked fine with $1.00 so they need calling out on this deception 

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Laxamentor

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:07:43 PM

You can use satoshi as a unit instead of BTC if you like. I don't think unit is that important...
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:41:36 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2018, 12:16:13 PM by server

I cannot see this happen because we committed to the fundamental rule that there will only be 21 million BTC.

Bitcoin is for large transactions. Litecoin for small.

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:51:12 PM

I wouldn't go as far as saying it has to be split into smaller units to survive, but it would most certainly help on the road to mass adoption.

I think this will be one of the next gimmicks seen in mid/large cap altcoins. They'll fork to dilute the supply, while simultaneously inflating user holdings by the same proportion. The price will fall, say, 1000x based on the dilution. Given the state of the markets and newbie perceptions about unit prices, that alone could provide another 100x gains or better over time. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Bitcoin isn't a gimmicky altcoin, so we're not going to do that.

But I have to say, I'm very disappointed in those that promoted and merged BIP 176, especially because it seemed like the motivation for doing so was related to this "price perception" problem. "Bits" is inaccurate, and we already use "satoshis." It's off-putting to see in the GUI. Undecided

BlackRock

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:54:33 PM

Why not use/trade in smaller unit satoshis instead of BTC..it will look cheaper
Ofcourse, the fee is killer

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:10:45 PM

Why not use/trade in smaller unit satoshis instead of BTC..it will look cheaper
Ofcourse, the fee is killer

That's what annoys me so much about this "unit bias" discussion. The reality is that no one can even spend "bits" due to network fees. Spending a "bit" means spending 500+ bits to get a transaction confirmed (for median transaction size). Smaller units like satoshis or "bits" might make sense once Lightning is widely deployed on the mainnet. But aren't we putting the cart before the horse?

It just seems like some early adopters, salty about the astronomical gains in altcoins, now want in on the action. I've never once heard anybody use the term "bits" outside of this discussion about how to control newbie price perception. I'm with Keonne on this one:

BIP176 - do not want 👎 If decimals confuse you, you shouldn't be using Bitcoin in the first place. The unit bias argument is completely nonsense. Stop trying to make bitcoin into some family friendly party trick

People should just learn to use decimals.....

Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 11:05:08 PM

They never use to say that and they said "Virtually free transaction fees" in the white paper
and if our peasant amounts of money are too small for them we could always move to ETH or
Ripple and use a single currency for all our needs.

I am no stock broker but I look at the charts and I see fees up, BTC price down but the
chart that i want to see is "Loss of trust" in Bitcoin development team

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 11:21:45 PM

I propose a hardfork, 1 BTC (old) = 1000 BTC (new)  Cool
Isn't it just the same if you use satoshi instead of 1000 BTC? And i think it's not useful anyway since the transaction fees are too much, i guess Bitcoin transaction is only for millionaires because they can transact bigger Bitcoin with just a small fees.

I think you are right since the transaction fees is killing the short time traders. If LN was there, it shouldn't be a problem anymore but i guess we couldn't it but to wait.

mlgblockchain

Activity: 135
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 03:16:49 AM

Yes, if we want Bitcoin as a currency (which was the plan) then of course Bitcoin must split into smaller units. People are considering different altcoins just because of Bitcoin's higher value in a very small figure. If we keep thinking Bitcoins as a way of investment then I don't think you could make it a currency. Which is ultimately a threat to Bitcoin survive.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: