Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:26:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using metaphor to help ordinary folks understand bitcoin  (Read 6949 times)
HenryRomp (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Separation of currency and state.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 02:20:16 PM

Bitcoin is just like a virtual dollar

This is incorrect and misleading, not just an oversimplification. Bitcoin is a digital gold, perhaps, or a bunch of safes floating in the cloud and a bunch of digital gold you can move between those safes, or many other things, but it is not "just like a virtual dollar" at all and saying so is missing the whole point. Paypal is just like a virtual dollar.

A properly secured wallet with bitcoin is in my opinion the safest, most secure, best all-around bet for holding wealth at this moment in history. Go ahead, call me crazy. They've been calling me crazy since 2013.
https://churchofbitcoin.org/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smalloy08

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:46:15 PM

This will be useful with just about everyone I know  Roll Eyes
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 03:50:56 PM

With people who are techno savvy, I say that Bitcoin is the world's first truly peer-to-peer digital currency. That piques their interest.

For others, it's the concept of mining and how Bitcoin is created that is a challenge to explain.

-----

There's a new faucet in the middle of town.  It's dispensing a metal called Bitcoin. This new metal is vastly superior to traditional forms of currency (dollars, pesos, yen, even gold) in many ways, so people in this town are collecting it to trade for things.

Alice has her bucket hooked to the faucet. She believes in the idea of this new kind of gold and her bucket is pretty nice. She gets a block of coins every 10 minutes, but she must keep her bucket securely fastened to the faucet so others cannot steal it.

Along comes Steve. He believes in this idea as well. He hooks up his bucket, which is the same as Alice's, and contributes his time and resources to watch it. Because the faucet only dispenses a limited amount of coins every 10 minutes, he must split his reward evenly with Alice.

Soon Harry, Fred, Egon & Spangler show up with their buckets. Soon, the whole town is mining for bitcoins using the same bucket and splitting the loot.

Now here comes Mike with his fancy bucket. Not only is it bigger, but it's faster at collecting bitcoins. It's also more flashy so to scare away would-be thieves. Mike hooks up to the faucet and collects a larger percentage of bitcoins because of his better bucket. Soon, Alice, Steve, Bob notice Mike's fancy bucket and higher profits. They and the others are now running out to upgrade their buckets.

Before long, bucket shops have sprung up all over town selling the newest, largest, and fanciest buckets. The more of the best, most powerful buckets that are hooked up to the faucet, the more secure the Bitcoin system is, and the more coins are released into the wild (to a point). Alice, Bob, Mike and the others have become like system administrators for Bitcoin, helping to secure it from pirates, marauders and thieves; and their buckets process and approve transactions from all other Bitcoin users, so long as they stay properly connected to the original faucet.

-----

...And so on. You really have to dumb it down for some people. And that means no mentioning computers, mathematics, economics or the internet. To really get them thinking, you could end by saying that the faucets are not all in one town, but all over the world, and each faucet is simply an internet connection.
HenryRomp (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Separation of currency and state.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 04:37:04 PM

With people who are techno savvy, I say that Bitcoin is the world's first truly peer-to-peer digital currency. That piques their interest.

For others, it's the concept of mining and how Bitcoin is created that is a challenge to explain.

-----

There's a new faucet in the middle of town.  It's dispensing a metal called Bitcoin. This new metal is vastly superior to traditional forms of currency (dollars, pesos, yen, even gold) in many ways, so people in this town are collecting it to trade for things.

Alice has her bucket hooked to the faucet. She believes in the idea of this new kind of gold and her bucket is pretty nice. She gets a block of coins every 10 minutes, but she must keep her bucket securely fastened to the faucet so others cannot steal it.

Along comes Steve. He believes in this idea as well. He hooks up his bucket, which is the same as Alice's, and contributes his time and resources to watch it. Because the faucet only dispenses a limited amount of coins every 10 minutes, he must split his reward evenly with Alice.

Soon Harry, Fred, Egon & Spangler show up with their buckets. Soon, the whole town is mining for bitcoins using the same bucket and splitting the loot.

Now here comes Mike with his fancy bucket. Not only is it bigger, but it's faster at collecting bitcoins. It's also more flashy so to scare away would-be thieves. Mike hooks up to the faucet and collects a larger percentage of bitcoins because of his better bucket. Soon, Alice, Steve, Bob notice Mike's fancy bucket and higher profits. They and the others are now running out to upgrade their buckets.

Before long, bucket shops have sprung up all over town selling the newest, largest, and fanciest buckets. The more of the best, most powerful buckets that are hooked up to the faucet, the more secure the Bitcoin system is, and the more coins are released into the wild (to a point). Alice, Bob, Mike and the others have become like system administrators for Bitcoin, helping to secure it from pirates, marauders and thieves; and their buckets process and approve transactions from all other Bitcoin users, so long as they stay properly connected to the original faucet.

-----

...And so on. You really have to dumb it down for some people. And that means no mentioning computers, mathematics, economics or the internet. To really get them thinking, you could end by saying that the faucets are not all in one town, but all over the world, and each faucet is simply an internet connection.

This is interesting but has some flaws. I will re-write it when I get home to my computer (I'm typing on my phone now) because I think it has some useful ideas but is confusing in certain ways.

A properly secured wallet with bitcoin is in my opinion the safest, most secure, best all-around bet for holding wealth at this moment in history. Go ahead, call me crazy. They've been calling me crazy since 2013.
https://churchofbitcoin.org/
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 06:12:36 PM

Bitcoin is simply a ledger of user names with their corresponding balance of money.

The only way to move money from one account to another is by using your password to take money from your user name and add it to someone else's user name.

But in order to keep your user name and password from being hacked your user name is a long string of numbers and letters and your password is also a long string of letters and numbers.

Everyone can see your user name, so if they have your password they can move your money.

And new money is added by solving an algorithm. The user that solves it gets money added to his user account.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
nathandev

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 11:59:49 AM

You explained it in details, I think there's nobody including children or old folks who don't understand the way you explain.
cipherhut

Activity: 99

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2019, 12:26:42 PM

Crypto exchanges are the replica of the old bartering system with some dedicated cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin. "history repeats itself" in either of the ways and that is going to happen in the trading system with the increasing use of Bitcoin for the exchange of goods and services.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: