Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:13:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Specie Project sponsored by the makers of New Liberty Dollar  (Read 88382 times)
BitPappa

Activity: 431
Merit: 261

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 02:22:36 AM

Any chance you'll have any for to sell at the LA Bitcoin Meetup next week?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 07:03:10 AM

I'll have some to be sure.  Selling is a different question.
There are only a few minted at the moment, and most of these are spoken for already.

As it turns out I spent most of today on the mint factory floor today as there is some equipment problems which will delay the volume production for a little while so I surely won't have enough to sell any meaningful amounts.

In case it wasn't clear earlier, if you want to pre-order to lock in the silver price at the current rates.  That can be done at any time.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 07:27:39 AM

I don't know about this. It undermines totally the idea behind Bitcoin for being a free of bank currency. With physical coins everything comes more to the point it gets regulated like all the old currencies.
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 07:35:47 AM

It undermines nothing of the sort Smiley

Liberty Dollar was also free of bank currency.
(As is New Liberty Dollar)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_currency
It was one of the inspirations for Satoshi Nakamoto.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 08:48:30 PM

French version of Slate picked up the story:
http://www.slate.fr/story/76296/hacking-pas-ordinateurs-cuisine-musique
And some others...
http://www.thebitcoinchannel.com/archives/19662
https://program.ohm2013.org/event/59.html
https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=122771
http://bitcoinviews.com/new-silver-liberty-dollar-qr-coin-obtains-live-bitcoin-prices/
http://thebitcoinnews.co.uk/2013/08/07/new-liberty-dollar-silver-qr-coin-obtains-live-bitcoin-prices/
http://freedomwat.ch/2013/08/06/new-silver-liberty-dollar-qr-coin-obtains-live-bitcoin-prices/
http://bitkoins.com/discussion/25059/new-silver-liberty-dollar-qr-coin-obtains-live-bitcoin-prices
http://ewallstreeter.com/new-silver-liberty-dollar-qr-coin-obtains-live-bitcoin-prices-5554/

DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 04:26:45 AM

I love to get one of the first strike coins to immortalize in The Bitcoin Museum

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 12:12:01 PM

There will be an auction posted soon for one of the first strike coins.  Stay tuned for that.

Also congratulations to those that have pre-ordered to lock in the silver price at the current levels.
Looks like you already did well for that as silver is on the rise!

NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 03:18:20 PM

I love to get one of the first strike coins to immortalize in The Bitcoin Museum

Wow, that museum looks really amazing.  I would be delighted to see these represented there.

This piece does represent a piece of history.  There has never before been specie of any kind that was not only money worldwide, but also translates its value through a QR code link into local currency as well as bitcoin.  That the first piece of this kind bears the distinctive BTC on the obverse is to honor the great gift to humanity that bitcoin represents.  We contemplated other communities into which to introduce this piece, but selected this one for lots of great reasons.  So far you all have proved the wisdom of that through your generous welcoming and enthusiasm.  

dyseac

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 12:12:09 AM

So really this is nothing more than a bitcoin themed souvenir that's valued upon the material it is made out of?  Huh
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 01:13:25 AM

So really this is nothing more than a bitcoin themed souvenir that's valued upon the material it is made out of?  Huh

Or, in other words, a silver coin. Here's one that's nothing more than a dollar themed souvenir that's valued upon the material it's made out of:

Unless, of course, you'd spend that coin as a dollar. But why would you?

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 01:32:29 AM

So really this is nothing more than a bitcoin themed souvenir that's valued upon the material it is made out of?  Huh

I'd take issue with that.  It is not at all a souvenir.  It is a currency, and not only is it bitcoin themed it has a role in the bitcoin ecosystem that is currently horribly vacant.  PM's have been called the gateway "drug" to bitcoin, this takes that a step further by providing a ready means of introduction to the uninitiated.  These are specifically engineered to be out in public, in pockets, in the marketplace, and not in drawers or on shelves.

For those of us that have used silver pieces in commercial transactions you will know the most common question is "what is it worth?".  This piece has the unique distinction of providing not only a ready answer to that question, but one that is available at any time by someone who would receive it in a transaction as well.  (It also answers the question "what is a bitcoin worth?".)
I expect that these Cold Hard Cash pieces will also do a fair bit of business among those that do not use bitcoin, but the average person is less likely to know how to use a QR code than a bitcoin aficionado.  

Try this...  Go to any random cashier at your favorite store and ask them if they like gold, or silver.  Folks that deal with cash and coins daily know that if they find one of those older coins they are more valuable (because of the silver).  They have little else to keep them occupied after they know their job than to look at the coins that pass through their hands.  
The most frequent way to use silver in a transaction is when the cashier likes silver (or gold).  They put the coin in their pocket and drop their own money in the till.  The #1 place that Liberty Dollars were used in commerce was at Walmart.  Cashiers would call you into their line if they know you were carrying silver.  WE do a pretty brisk business selling New Liberty Dollars and didn't really need to do this, but this is a new thing altogether and very exciting for all of us.  Better than the American Silver Eagles, these Bitcoin pieces can bring the hundreds of thousands of silver-stacking people into the world of Bitcoin, and more...

When the folks at the Bitcoin conference in San Jose asked me to do a Bitcoin piece, I took that mission seriously and this is the result.  It is the product of countless discussions among some of the best, experienced and most creative numismatic artists, minters and designers on the planet.  When the Bitcoin economy grows and expands and reaches new people worldwide, we all win.

These pieces are our missionaries into the already waiting world of would-be bitcoiners.  Precious metals are highly sought after money everywhere on the planet, and these pieces are denominated in all currency through the magic of the QR... but they default to bitcoin.  Smiley

NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 01:39:36 AM

Unless, of course, you'd spend that coin as a dollar. But why would you?

Yes, if you are buying American Silver Eagles instead of these, you are getting ripped off Smiley
These are less expensive, more useful, and better:  A world currency with true valueation available a phone click away everywhere.

dyseac

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 03:55:04 AM

I'd take issue with that.  It is not at all a souvenir.  It is a currency, and not only is it bitcoin themed it has a role in the bitcoin ecosystem that is currently horribly vacant.

How is it a currency? - I can't pay for fuel with it and I can't pay for items through bitpay with it ?

Also how is there a vacancy in the bitcoin ecosystem? - That's the whole point of having a virtual P2P currency - nothing physical.

All your doing is trying to manipulate bitcoin into something it's not. All I see is a fancy t-shirt made out of silver saying "I <3 Bitcoin"

.... good luck to you.
randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 05:23:19 AM

Hey, is that the meetup in Santa Monica you're talking about, or is there another LA meetup?
BitPappa

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 01:20:20 PM

Hey, is that the meetup in Santa Monica you're talking about, or is there another LA meetup?

Interesting, it appears there are two different Bitcoin meetup groups that have this event date/location. I hadn't seen this group before, I'm a member of this group: http://www.meetup.com/Los-Angeles-Bitcoin

Regardless, looks like we'll all be there for this event!

BitPappa

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 01:54:28 PM

How is it a currency? - I can't pay for fuel with it and I can't pay for items through bitpay with it ?
All your doing is trying to manipulate bitcoin into something it's not. All I see is a fancy t-shirt made out of silver saying "I <3 Bitcoin"

I guess this can come down to some philosophical arguments, Bitcoin is different things to different people. I've talked to a few people I look up to in the community (who only know of this item from press coverage), and they seem to think a lot more of this item than you do.

And my sense is, if you brought these to a Libertarian enclave, you would find these "coins" would indeed be accepted as currency, perhaps more readily than if you asked to pay in actual BTC. And maybe the person who accepts this "coin" as payment today might accept Bitcoin tomorrow.

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 03:13:03 PM

This piece does represent a piece of history.  There has never before been specie of any kind that was not only money worldwide, but also translates its value through a QR code link into local currency as well as bitcoin.
Shire Silver has had a QR code linking to its suggested trade value for over a year now. Its also significantly easier to carry for everyday use as it fits in wallets the same as credit cards. It comes in several denominations ranging in MSRP from $40 all the way down to $1 so its much easier to make smaller purchases with than any traditional bullion. You really should check it out.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
worldtreasurefinders

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 04:22:38 PM

Also how is there a vacancy in the bitcoin ecosystem? - That's the whole point of having a virtual P2P currency - nothing physical.

.... good luck to you.

You're kidding right?  Silver coins have been currency far longer than any fiat money around the world today.  Silver as money dates back as far as history goes.  It's hard to compare bitcoin to silver though, because, while both are money, they are fundamentally different from another.  One is purely physical and the other purely nonphysical.

Architect, Anarchist, Numismatist, Crypto-Enthusiast.
NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 04:52:02 PM

I'd take issue with that.  It is not at all a souvenir.  It is a currency, and not only is it bitcoin themed it has a role in the bitcoin ecosystem that is currently horribly vacant.

Silver and gold have been currency for about 3000 years.  You might be surprised how readily it is accepted.  It is a lot easier to trade at point of sale than bitcoin currently, and there are more folks using it than bitcoin today. 

Also how is there a vacancy in the bitcoin ecosystem?

The recent Pirateat40 case brought this point to light as well.
The claim that there is no specie for bitcoin was a point brought forward to claim that it is not money, and just a game.
The more products and services that are exchangeable for bitcoin the better for bitcoin.  Each new product expands the bitcoin economy.

- That's the whole point of having a virtual P2P currency - nothing physical.

If that is the whole point of it to you, please feel welcome to boycott it, protest it, or do whatever you feel is right.  For myself and many others, there are many many points to having a virtual P2P currency, and the absence of material goods denominated in bitcoin is a problem rather than a solution.  What better than the oldest and most pervasive monetary commodities with a flexible exchange rate incorporated into the piece to bring the tangible value of bitcoin to a greater population?

.... good luck to you.

I deeply appreciate your well wishes, even in your disagreement or misunderstanding of the purpose of this project.  It is certainly a project born out of love for Bitcoin.  It is not intended as a manipulation, or any attempt to detract from the essential purpose of Bitcoin, but simply to bring it to a wider audience, to extend its reach, to create a physical and tangible reminder of Bitcoin... but most of all, to have a pocket-friendly specie piece that can be carried casually without worry that you are ruining it.  Something that you can whip out at any time you transact, to offer a voluntary choice of payment.

Sure you could do that with T-shirts, but they are bulky and less durable, and less fungible and one size doesn't fit all.  I am eager to see ways it can be improved or the mission clarified, so I appreciate your comments and welcome more.

NewLiberty (OP)
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 04:54:05 PM

This piece does represent a piece of history.  There has never before been specie of any kind that was not only money worldwide, but also translates its value through a QR code link into local currency as well as bitcoin.
Shire Silver has had a QR code linking to its suggested trade value for over a year now. Its also significantly easier to carry for everyday use as it fits in wallets the same as credit cards. It comes in several denominations ranging in MSRP from $40 all the way down to $1 so its much easier to make smaller purchases with than any traditional bullion. You really should check it out.

I <3 Shire Silver.
You folks are heroes and I am happy for your continued success.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: