Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:42:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: I found my old wallets and .dat files......  (Read 628 times)
kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 12:38:39 AM

Guys, I used to mine not rly knowing what I was doing. This was in 2013/2014, somewhere around this time. I had someone build me a rig and I just mined because I had free electricity. Anyways, long story short, I pulled the plug on it and sold the rig....

Now I'm back into crypto but on the investing side....and I thought man did I ever back this stuff up? I go in storage, found a small USB, plug it in to my computer and I see 2 wallet addresses, and a .dat file.

1)Hashfaster
2)Multipool

Besides the wallet addresses, and the .dat file, I have no further info.

Is there any way to retrieve/recover/or transfer this into MyEtherWallet or an exchange? Or am I just SOL?

My co-worker that mines ethereum and sia coins says i'm screwed.

Any hope for me ?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:07:22 AM

You were not mining Ethereum back then.  Why would you try and load it into Myetherwallet?

You need to figure out what coins you were mining, download the appropriate wallet, and then replace the new wallet.dat with the old/recovered wallet.dat and your coins should be available after it syncs.  Syncing could take a while depending on a variety of factors, and your balance may not show accurately until the wallet is done syncing.

Try and look up those pools and see if you can log in.  If it's multipool.us your account may still be there.

Edit:  Your two addresses are your wallet addresses, they ARE NOT your wallets.  Assuming the .DAT file is wallet.dat, that is your wallet.  If the two very long numbers are your private keys DO NOT SHARE THEM WITH ANYONE. You will lose any coins associated with them.  Addresses are fine to share, private keys are not.  You can import the private keys into a wallet if that is what they are, but you will have to learn that on your own.

kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:20:43 AM

I was tech dumb...still am. I was mining Doge and Vert....yes i have wallet.dat. So will any wallet do and just replace the file? Any recommended wallets for the 2?
slanislaw

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 01:48:10 AM

1 & 2 are pools.. Try to login with your credentials and check your balance.

You can't just use any wallet for your wallet.dat files. You need to figure out which coin they belong to. If it was Dodge for example, download the Dodgecoin wallet and stick the wallet.dat file in the appdata/roaming folder.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 03:13:35 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2018, 12:43:25 PM by Agozyen

I was tech dumb...still am. I was mining Doge and Vert....yes i have wallet.dat. So will any wallet do and just replace the file? Any recommended wallets for the 2?

Download the wallets for each one.  Run them and let them sync.  When they are done syncing, close them down and swap out the wallet.dat files.  

The location for the wallets looks something like this:

C:\USERS\kabizzle4rizzle\AppData\Roaming\Whatevercoin

IMPORTANT STEP: Open windows explorer.  Click 'view' at top of window, make sure that 'HIDDEN' has a check mark in it.  This will allow you to see the AppData folder.  

It is possible that the wallets you download will be incompatible with their respective wallet.dat files.  If that is the case you can try downloading older versions of the wallet programs.

Good luck!

EDIT: You said you only have one wallet.dat file.  There is no way to tell which coin it is for by just the filename.  I would try BTC, Doge and Vert first.  Download those wallets and try swapping out.
kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 12:22:40 PM

I don't know how to insert an image...but i downloaded Doge coin wallet, replaced the .dat file...I can see the past transactions. But this thing has been syc'ing with the network for at least a day and it's stuck on 4 years 3 weeks. LoL, I guess that's when I used to mine.

I've accepted the fact that it's lost....no harm in seeing if I can recover anything though. Does this mean it might be recoverable??

Also, I have separate folders for the Doge/Vert coin so I know which .dat file is which (thankfully)...also I can see the Doge coin transactions. So I think I have a little luck on my side  Huh
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 12:47:32 PM

I don't know how to insert an image...but i downloaded Doge coin wallet, replaced the .dat file...I can see the past transactions. But this thing has been syc'ing with the network for at least a day and it's stuck on 4 years 3 weeks. LoL, I guess that's when I used to mine.

I've accepted the fact that it's lost....no harm in seeing if I can recover anything though. Does this mean it might be recoverable??

Also, I have separate folders for the Doge/Vert coin so I know which .dat file is which (thankfully)...also I can see the Doge coin transactions. So I think I have a little luck on my side  Huh

Yeah, you might be lucky. Let it sync. For a long time.
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 12:56:12 PM

Yeah, you might be lucky. Let it sync. For a long time.

Yes, You are lucky, DOGE is on the run now. If You would like to catch this run, You can try to find Your address balance at Doge block explorer web page and send it from wallet to exchange before complete sync. If it is not asking for password at that  point, You are really lucky, meaning You didn't encrypted wallet using password...

slanislaw

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 01:51:49 PM

Also, I have separate folders for the Doge/Vert coin so I know which .dat file is which (thankfully)...also I can see the Doge coin transactions. So I think I have a little luck on my side  Huh

View your receiving address in the wallet and then go to a Dodgecoin explorer and enter your address to view your balance.

This isn't 100% as you may have multiple addresses in your wallet but its a start.
BitBustah

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 02:45:17 PM

AND MOST IMPORTANT: let us know how much $$$ you now have so we can all be jealous! Good luck!
kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:22:52 AM

According to liveblockcypher, I have 114,848.408251  Doge coins. So do I have to wait for this thing to sync before sending them? 
kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:30:44 AM

Also the sync says "4 years and 2 weaks behind".........it'll take me 4 years and 2 weeks just to sync!!
Sine Nomine

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:38:28 AM

According to liveblockcypher, I have 114,848.408251  Doge coins. So do I have to wait for this thing to sync before sending them? 
That's two grand nowadays.
rommelzkie

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:43:00 AM

Do you have already access in your wallet? can you send your token out of it? If that so, then you have an easy 2 grand. congrats to you.

kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 04:46:20 AM

Don't want to celebrate just yet....it shows 0 balance in wallet and is syncing very slowiy.
MCWey8

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

[ Poor Miner ]

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:33:21 AM

been awhile since i have done this, but if you are looking for a faster way you can use a lite wallet. like multidoge or wowdoge

http://multidoge.org/
http://www.wowdoge.org/

in the dogecoin QT client, if you go to the console tab and use the "dumpprivkey" option you can get your private key, import it into a lite wallet and get those coins NOW instead of waiting for blockchain sync, possibly days.

The wallet doesn't have to be synced to get the private keys out of it.
Bugatti73

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:47:36 AM

If I know wallet adress of bitcoin but forget my old password, can i restore it?
chup

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:04:53 AM

Also the sync says "4 years and 2 weaks behind".........it'll take me 4 years and 2 weeks just to sync!!

As I already said, if You know Your balance, You can make transaction without being fully synced.

chup

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:08:28 AM

If I know wallet adress of bitcoin but forget my old password, can i restore it?

Of course You can. At the moment Your password memory comes back.

newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:15:56 AM

Of course You can. At the moment Your password memory comes back.

Why are people so scared of writing passwords down? You keep all kinds valuable stuff just lying around in your house for a burglar to take but you won't write a password on a piece of paper? I don't get it.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 12:28:59 PM

been awhile since i have done this, but if you are looking for a faster way you can use a lite wallet. like multidoge or wowdoge

http://multidoge.org/
http://www.wowdoge.org/

in the dogecoin QT client, if you go to the console tab and use the "dumpprivkey" option you can get your private key, import it into a lite wallet and get those coins NOW instead of waiting for blockchain sync, possibly days.

The wallet doesn't have to be synced to get the private keys out of it.

I downloaded wowdoge, I have no idea how to locate the "dumppirvkey". I have the Dogecoin Core wallet. I looked under everything and couldnt find dumpprivkey
MCWey8

Activity: 81

[ Poor Miner ]

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:06:27 PM

its been years since i have done it personally, maybe it was 2014-2015

but from /r/dogecoin

https://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/1x6xvp/how_do_i_find_my_private_key/

---

click on 'help' in the menu bar (top right)

click on 'debug window'

select the 'console' tab

*type: walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase here"

type: dumpprivkey [your public key here]

this will return the private key, you can copy it now; ensure you clear your clipboard/history afterwards

*type: walletlock

* ignore these steps if your wallet isn't encrypted.
kabizzle4rizzle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:30:53 PM

GUYS!!!! So this thing is now at 3 yrs and 34 weeks as we speak, however at some point...the 122k approx coins came into the wallet as a ballance and I successfully transferred them out to an exchange! Recovered approx 2k USD. Still gonna let this sync and see if any more coins "show up" lol.

I cant thank you guys enough!

Now....I'm going to see if I have any Vertcoin, cuz apparently I was mining that too.
slanislaw

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 01:45:05 AM

GUYS!!!! So this thing is now at 3 yrs and 34 weeks as we speak, however at some point...the 122k approx coins came into the wallet as a ballance and I successfully transferred them out to an exchange! Recovered approx 2k USD. Still gonna let this sync and see if any more coins "show up" lol.

Now....I'm going to see if I have any Vertcoin, cuz apparently I was mining that too.

Congrats!  Smiley
d0n4ald

Activity: 92

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:07:30 AM

Whatever you do, dont sell!!!your dogecoin could go up another 10,000x
cryptoketo

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:08:56 AM

Whatever you do, dont sell!!!your dogecoin could go up another 10,000x

Agreed! Don't sell your DOGE!! Hold on to it and you may see these 2k magically turn to 100-500k Smiley Glad you recovered your DOGE though! Good luck mate!  Wink
BitBustah

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:36:09 AM

Wow, lucky guy. Congrats Smiley
bk2000

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:29:43 PM

Nice find!  Wish I had started mining several years ago! Would probably be retired now.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: