Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:54:09 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Moral Dilemma. ATM machine gave me $600 instead of $500. Should I call bank?  (Read 12449 times)
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 08:50:10 AM

Usually a repeating overpay of this sort is caused because notes have been placed into the wrong feeder - so that where there should be 10's the person refilling the machine mistakenly puts 20's.

As well as the valid CU argument bear in mind someone could loose their job over this but that may be less likely if most of the money is returned.
This could only happen with US Dollar notes because all are the same size. Anywhere else in the world this is physical impossible as feeders are adjusted to the size of the notes.   

If you want to withdraw 500&, recepit(500$) and the account was decreased with 500. The ATM gives you 100$ free, then enjoy your free money. We shouldn't have mercy for banks!

Stealing from a thief still makes you a thief. Any way you look at it it's not your money, you don't have the right to steal.
Nothing has been stolen, OP has called the bank to find out if they mistakenly gave her more money as they should have.
I would say OP mind is already on holiday.

If it would have happened to me i would not have know as i just put it straight in the wallet and that's it. Equally if they short charge me i would not know.
realestone
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 12:38:32 PM

If you want to withdraw 500&, recepit(500$) and the account was decreased with 500. The ATM gives you 100$ free, then enjoy your free money. We shouldn't have mercy for banks!

Stealing from a thief still makes you a thief. Any way you look at it it's not your money, you don't have the right to steal.

wheres the part of him stealing anything come from? lol
Stuartuk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 11:05:05 AM

Usually a repeating overpay of this sort is caused because notes have been placed into the wrong feeder - so that where there should be 10's the person refilling the machine mistakenly puts 20's.

As well as the valid CU argument bear in mind someone could loose their job over this but that may be less likely if most of the money is returned.
This could only happen with US Dollar notes because all are the same size. Anywhere else in the world this is physical impossible as feeders are adjusted to the size of the notes.   

Nothing has been stolen, OP has called the bank to find out if they mistakenly gave her more money as they should have.
I would say OP mind is already on holiday.

If it would have happened to me i would not have know as i just put it straight in the wallet and that's it. Equally if they short charge me i would not know.

It has happened in the UK several times so the hoppers won't be as tight a fit so as to prevent wrong stacking. In these three cases the customers were told they could keep  he money! No legal basis to enforce repayment? Would be took much bad PR? Too much trouble/non-compliance asking other banks for interbank customer details?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cash-machine-pays-out-double-964836
frankzro

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 06:55:10 PM

Well you could call the bank, and give the money back.

Which would open up a case to have the machine checked and then would most likely point to the last tech who worked with the machine. That may get the person fired or get a slap on the wrist, you need to consider this. Were you the only person the machine did this for? Or was it malfunctioning like that the entire day.

I know this is your life and someone made a mistake which caused the machine to give you extra money or possible the bills were so new that they got stuck together.

Seriously, just keep the money dude.

Or give it to people who are less fortunate than yourself, someone homeless would need that 20 dollars or something. You could do many things really, its up to you. Only you know what you need to do, no of us really have the final say so.
rustyh17

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 07:09:40 PM

You can never run away from the person in the mirror.

Guard, with extreme vigilance, your character and integrity.

It sounds like you did the right thing by calling the bank!

Congratulations!

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:33:13 PM

Inform the bank, maybe they will give you a bonus for being honest Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: