Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Wikipedia to accept Bitcoin donations - Community pledge  (Read 19030 times)
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:53:54 PM

It seems out of your list that item 3 is the real reason for their concern: "Accepting bitcoins can be perceived as making a value judgement about Bitcoin, which they are hesitant to do."
So they have concerns about BTC, but none about paid admins?
Yeah, sounds just like the usual Wikiganda.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 10:13:26 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2013, 08:03:33 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

Most of us will agree that having the Wikimedia foundation (known for operating Wikipedia) accept Bitcoin donations could be a very important milestone in Bitcoin's adoption. They are famous for having refused for a long time with obscure reasons, but I believe they are warming up to the idea, and that it's high time we take concrete action about it.
Why is Wikipedia accepting bitcoin so important? This detail needs to be quantified and qualified. Is there not any other lower hanging fruit than Wikipedia?
To me it just seems right that Wikipedia should accept Bitcoin. We love Wikipedia and we love Bitcoin and they will work well together. "I'm tired of wanting Wikipedia to accept Bitcoin, I want Wikipedia to accept Bitcoin."

Everyone knows Wikipedia and new people hearing about Bitcoin will have a much more accurate perception about it if they know that it accepts Bitcoin donations.

It's a high-hanging fruit, sure, but it's well worth the effort.

I don't know how to quantify any of this, though.

In a recent discussion on Quora, Jimmy Wales has stated a few reasons to reject Bitcoin donations, and surprisingly they were all quite tangible. By this point it is already assumed that the donations will be immediately converted to USD via a provider such as BitPay, to help with accounting and make it easier to use the funds. The main objections were:

1. The amount that would be donated via Bitcoin is too small to be worth the trouble.

This objection is the easiest to refute; all we need is to demonstrate the quantitative aspects of our willingness to donate, and this is what this post is mostly about.

2. Adding more donation options is known to create "choice paralysis" and decrease the total amount donated. They have a process of A/B testing for measuring the effect of adding new options; this testing will increase the cost of even considering to add this option.

To this Jimmy suggested that they could add information about Bitcoin donations in a separate page not linked to from the main donations page. I find this to be a very acceptable compromise; we'll be able to donate, and we'll be able to tell people Wikipedia accepts Bitcoin donations.

3. Accepting bitcoins can be perceived as making a value judgement about Bitcoin, which they are hesitant to do.

I believe this can be alleviated with proper framing, and that making this available only from an orphan page will further reduce the perceived impact.
It seems out of your list that item 3 is the real reason for their concern: "Accepting bitcoins can be perceived as making a value judgement about Bitcoin, which they are hesitant to do."

Item 1: Apparently, we need to quantify how much "trouble" it is to accept money. I am serious. This not just an issue at Wikipedia but will be an issue for any charity/organization. Quantifying the "worth", well, what is the worth of Wikipedia? That is a "value judgement" about Wikipedia and is best left to each individual, but I can say, Wikipedia's worth is probably much greater than the amount of donations they receive. Don't get me wrong, I think a community pledge has its merits.
The trouble is very organization-dependent. Sending an email to Bitpay asking to be hooked up with a direct deposit donation address is easy. But the various legal, accounting and ethical qualms depend very much on the scale and structure of the organization.

We can use the number of people familiar with an organization as a metric for judging the worth of getting it on board; I think the worth will be superlinear in that metric.

Item 2: "Choice paralysis"... a study should be conducted to quantify this claim; possibly a similar study has already been conducted and has been published somewhere. But on the surface, it seems that Wikipedia does not worry too much about this as they already except payments through moneybookers.com (Skrill). In other words, this argument is a smoke screen. As a community, we should incur the cost of this study (i.e., testing), not Wikipedia. And this study should be unbiased and published appropriately.
By Jimmy's word, which I believe, they have made such studies, and they do A/B testing for each new method they add. I don't know if they're willing to share the results of these studies. I agree this seems odd given that they accept some esoteric donation methods, but they say these has been tested to increase total proceeds.

I agree completely that we should offer to sponsor research on including Bitcoin donations, but the current pledged amount isn't sufficient for that.

Importantly, having a separate, orphan Bitcoin donation page will cause them less trouble in this aspect, and is satisfactory.

Item 3: Being switzerland is just good policy... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it. And you may never really know the real reason why. It may be that buying Linden dollars on Second Life with real money makes some people's stomachs churn.
An ambitious goal will be to explain Bitcoin to them to the point that they're willing to make such a value judgement. A more conservative goal is to convince them that accepting Bitcoin donations would not be such a statement.

It may be more valuable to target lower hanging fruit and use the resources on conducting studies to prove our point.
For reasons stated above I believe Wikipedia is a good target. Other goals can also be pursued of course, but I don't think the lessons learned from this are very transferable.

As for Wikipedia, I proposed a different approach here... which is basically to use the fundamentals of Wikipedia (i.e., to document history) against itself approach. We can not put Wikipedia in the history of bitcoin right now, but we can put them in as the quintessential charity that does not accept bitcoin.
I don't see how going meta can help, and it can also be perceived as WP:POINT. Our method should not be to antagonize the decision makers at Wikimedia.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
jadair10

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 04:44:02 PM

As for picking fruit... Wikipedia is no Rosa Parks; it lacks both the Power of Strong Ties & the Power of Weak Ties in my opinion.

To learn more about this concept of Strong Ties & Weak Ties, which was outlined in The Power of Habit by I found this video: http://youtu.be/u8B6_e8SnRs
adpinbr

Activity: 980
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 04:32:30 AM

just found this post. last week after wikipedia asking me for a donation via pop up, i sent them an email similar to what meni is proposing, so far no response:(

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Mark_Twain

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 09:49:26 AM

Great iniciative, just gave my 0.5 tip to 19HHHDya8PNqdVpiCdZYuwKyuWFoU1TC9A i hope it works.

Hi Meni! What´s gonna happen with the money donated? If it is not going to reach Wikipedia it should reach our pockets back..

Litecoins donations: LUNrACL2GoC8RhHqJbd4k2GnqX2xjixooY
Bitcoins donations: 1AWcSjq96oa5tqLyqPG2U729AzGPZW9aW4
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:26:38 AM

Great iniciative, just gave my 0.5 tip to 19HHHDya8PNqdVpiCdZYuwKyuWFoU1TC9A i hope it works.
Hi Meni! What´s gonna happen with the money donated? If it is not going to reach Wikipedia it should reach our pockets back..
Did you read the OP?

It's going to be donated to Wikipedia. Eventually. Until then the rules clearly state the funds will not be returned to donators.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 06:39:03 PM

FYI, Mastercoin's Bounties feature will include a decenrtalized version of this thread.
Thanks Meni for the inspiration!

https://trello.com/c/KcZ6FfSu/26-spec-for-bounties

Everyone, if you want to learn more, please start with the FAQ.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
WiW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:21:37 PM

Bumping because I want to donate to Wikipedia.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 01:30:51 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 07:34:43 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

Bumping because I want to donate to Wikipedia.
FWIW, I haven't forgotten about this. My plan is still to contact them when I'm available. If others wish to contact them as well there's no problem; I do however feel that we're at a point where directly approaching them is less needed.

geri

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 06:01:10 PM

Donated. Maybe we just need to wait for Bitcoin to be worth over $10,000.

You just don't reject a $100,000 donation from a fan community, do you? :-)

I currently have a monthly subscription with Wikipedia and I'd much rather donate once a year in Bitcoin.
row5_seat47

Activity: 226

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:05:13 AM

The outgoing Wikimedia chairman is my partner for the last decade, and I have a long personal involvement in Wikimedia.  In light of my experience, I have to say that I'm amused by this thread......

Why Your Alt-Coin Is No Good Here ....
http://letstalkbitcoin.com/why-your-alt-coin-is-no-good-here/
row5_seat47

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:13:26 AM

Jimmy Wales on Twitter
https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/statuses/441632741352681472

TipperCoin
http://www.tippercoin.com/#/profile/jimmy_wales?direct=true&r=17L

minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:00:41 AM

Interesting...

Maybe 8btc waiting at 19HHHDya8PNqdVpiCdZYuwKyuWFoU1TC9A soften them a bit : )

Joke aside: it is about freaking time for anyone to start "Playing with BTC"!
row5_seat47

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:20:57 AM

Wales considering Bitcoin for WikiMedia
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/201fa6/hello_from_jimmy_wales_of_wikipedia/
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 02:27:10 PM

That's very cool. The thread's subject pledge is too small to bother them with its existence, but I hope we'll be very soon able to donate it to them.

(I never did get around to starting the dialogue with them as originally planned... And of course, by now Bitcoin is popular enough that I'm not really needed for this).

row5_seat47

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:14:04 AM

but I hope we'll be very soon able to donate it to them.

Why not send to JW right now? He said he is forwarding to WM. 

I think this is the way to go. --- no?

Twilight_Sparkle

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:44:52 AM

I too agree that this is a good opportunity. As he is trying bitcoin out, this could show him just how much support is out there.

1H8gQ7KEN65pbdtusg28NQ33YWFBPgWAf1
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 08:46:20 AM

but I hope we'll be very soon able to donate it to them.

Why not send to JW right now? He said he is forwarding to WM. 

I think this is the way to go. --- no?
Tempting, but Wikimedia needs to officially accept Bitcoin donations. Despite Jimmy's position in Wikimedia, in this offer he is acting as a private individual agreeing to donate sent funds to Wikimedia, not much unlike Bitpay's old drive.

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 05:50:35 PM

Wikipedia has now announced that they are accepting Bitcoin. Stay tuned.

(PS these are amazing news).

WiW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:52:27 PM

woot  woot  Cool
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: