Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:26:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have any of you guys lost BTC to sending to wrong address?  (Read 173 times)
smp70x (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 03:07:32 PM

Im kind of new to all this, but very intrigued. Yesterday morning I deposited some BTC from gdax to my exodus wallet. AFTER I submitted the BTC to my wallet I went ahead and backed up my account/created a password and all that. It then asked me for my phrase password and I put in the one I received from ETH earlier that day. My eth showed up but not my BTC. For another test I added a small amount of BTC to my JAXX wallet and it showed up in a few hours.  I noticed that coinbase is backlogged with transactions but i've received all my other money already. Im nervous that the money is lost in exodus space right now. Anyway to get this back if I indeed sent to wrong address that exodus provided originally? It shows on coinbase that the transaction was completed this morning.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitsinmyhead

Activity: 465
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 03:15:57 PM

No expert, but there is a test that makes sure you can not send to invalid address, so unless you actually entered another valid address the transaction should not go through.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
CyNotes

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 03:20:21 PM

You should double check before you verify your transaction. You should do an extra careful before sending money or btc into another wallet because a mmoment you send it, you couldn't cancel it or even recover your btc to go back tonyohr wallet again.

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]               Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program               [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●     TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
Alartonicus

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 03:22:07 PM

I know about the virus that replaces the addresses in the clipboard. As already said, you need to be very careful
smp70x (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 03:33:09 PM

Would backing up exodus before the btc showed up effect this? Also does that 12 word phrase include all crypto currency I buy or is it specific to eth? What would you guys do in this situation? It was $266 worth of btc...
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3190

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 07:36:12 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

Look at the destination address in a block explorer.

If you don't see your transaction, then it has not been sent or you sent to a different address.

If you see your transaction, but it is "unconfirmed", then you just have to wait.

If you see your transaction and it is confirmed, then something is wrong with your wallet (maybe it just needs to be refreshed), or the address is not in your wallet and you sent the bitcoins to some other wallet.

Would backing up exodus before the btc showed up effect this? Also does that 12 word phrase include all crypto currency I buy or is it specific to eth? What would you guys do in this situation? It was $266 worth of btc...

Backing up the wallet does not affect its operation. Typically, the 12-word phrase is specific to the wallet and is used for all the currencies that the wallet tracks.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
smp70x (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:08:31 PM

Hi David,

Yes, malware could definitely cause this. There is some malware that recognizes when you copy a BTC address and then replaces it with another address when you paste it elsewhere. It is always very important to double check any address you send to to make sure it is the same address.

I had you copy and paste the address I sent in my last email to see if it would paste a different address, but I see you are writing me from an iOS device and not your computer.

Your other funds appear to be safe. It does not appear to me that your wallet is compromised, rather, whatever address was entered in GDAX was not one controlled by your Exodus wallet.

I also checked your Bitcoin Cash addresses (BCH) to verify that you did not accidentally send it there.

I'm so sorry this has happened.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

All my best,
Davey

This was my response from Exodus^^ . I think it's BS, my first transaction through their platform and this happens? I double checked the address, it was the one exodus gave to me. I'm at a loss for words.
levelnaut

Activity: 129

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 01:26:03 PM

In Steemit I sent eqiv.300 $ to the wrong login - to bitrex instead of bittrex - and my money got another bastard, who made a web of wrong-login-accounts I could do nothing with that )
Ten.technology

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:19:28 PM

I think any wrong case will lose money but if blocked by the transaction system will be returned
smp70x (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 03:12:58 PM

I feel as it was a problem with exodus system giving me a different initial address to receive from.
AstaYuno

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 06:36:40 PM

Yes accidentally sent it to another person and also sent it to my eth wallet lol
iolite

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 06:43:19 PM

Im kind of new to all this, but very intrigued. Yesterday morning I deposited some BTC from gdax to my exodus wallet. AFTER I submitted the BTC to my wallet I went ahead and backed up my account/created a password and all that. It then asked me for my phrase password and I put in the one I received from ETH earlier that day. My eth showed up but not my BTC. For another test I added a small amount of BTC to my JAXX wallet and it showed up in a few hours.  I noticed that coinbase is backlogged with transactions but i've received all my other money already. Im nervous that the money is lost in exodus space right now. Anyway to get this back if I indeed sent to wrong address that exodus provided originally? It shows on coinbase that the transaction was completed this morning.

not yet never happened ....
SerHodlot

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:14:48 PM

no, but a few people i know have, in which they lost a couple $k. just be sure to double or triple check every time (check the first 4 digits and the last 4 digits as a one last check)!
levelnaut

Activity: 129

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 04:40:15 PM

I know people, who lsot money this way
Map Mika

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 04:47:41 PM

so far I have never, I just have a wallet and have not made any transactions
Jomblo Kronis

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 04:54:05 PM

it seems your coin will be completely lost from your wallet, that's a lesson for you, so be careful the other day Sad
deborajranette

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 02:23:34 AM

To see what can happend, read this article: https://cryptocomes.com/what-if-i-send-bitcoin-to-the-wrong-address
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: