Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:14:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [AUCTION] Avalon Batch 3 Chassis, Control Unit, Router and Fans (no modules)  (Read 1826 times)
lukestokes (OP)

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 07:31:23 PM

If you're interested in the back story of this sale, you'll find it here.

The starting bid is 10 BTC which (almost) gets me back to my original costs on this rig. As of this posting, the four modules are sold and in the mail to new owners. What I'm auctioning are original Avalon batch 3 components:

• Metal Chassis
  • Control Unit
  • Router
  • 2 Fans

The power distribution board is not included.

My plan is to run this auction through the weekend, and if the response is favorable, close it out some time on Monday or Tuesday. If not, I may hold on to the parts until more batch 3's are delivered. I've already heard a few stories of broken components during shipping, so this might be a faster option than waiting for Avalon to send replacement parts.

You agree to pay for escrow via John K, pay for whatever speed shipping you want, and pay for whatever insurance you want on the shipment (though I doubt an insurance company would know how to price this stuff, so I personally wouldn't bother). I'll be shipping everything in the original Avalon packaging.

I hope this helps someone get their rig going. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. I don't know what a fair price for this is at the current difficulty and all the craziness to follow with Avalon, so I'm letting the community decide. If there isn't much interest now, I'm fine with holding on to it until someone needs it.

I prefer to sell the whole thing, so if you only need one part, you might considering reselling the other parts or keeping them as backups.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out over the past few days. It's nice to connect with some great people in the community.

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 07:48:15 PM

Have you tried the control unit since shit went down?

lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 09:05:18 PM

I don't have another Avalon, so no, I have not. That said, if it doesn't work, a portion or all of the escrow would  be returned, just ship the device back to me.

The board itself shows absolutely no signs of damage. My hunch is the melted USB cable had something to do with why it stopped mining because the few times I started it up that first night and it didn't mine, the logs showed USB connection problems. In IRC it was recommended that could be a power issue (seems they we're right). When it did start up correctly, it worked great and got me over .7 coins that first night in Slush's pool.

Either way, I'm doing my best to be up front about everything that happened and a board that probably works is better for someone who has one that definitely doesn't. That's why this an auction. If someone sees value here, they can obtain it.

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 03:33:42 PM

Though I've received a few PMs for these components, I haven't seen many specific offers. Still having trouble deciding what a good value is here. Since there are only 600 batch 3's out there, the potential customer base for this is quite small, I guess. That said, if you have a dead B3 Avalon, I could see this being very valuable.

Anyone know if all the B3's have been delivered? I kind of feel like I should give everyone a chance to turn theirs on and figure out what's working and what isn't before I close this auction.

I'm open to feedback.

ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 05:01:06 PM

I used to watch auctions every weekend.  One paradox at auction is that things sell much higher if you have a low starting bid.  I sold shares in my Batch #2 auction, and I did not have any minimum bid.  If you wish, you can always reserve the right to cancel the auction.

Also, there seem to be people who bid with the prior intent to cancel.  My solution there was to have people make a payment to a single use bitcoin address.  That way, they could not cancel, and all the bids were public.  Public bids will raise the price.  PM bids do not.

I try to be respectful and informed.
lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 04:18:22 AM

I used to watch auctions every weekend.  One paradox at auction is that things sell much higher if you have a low starting bid.  I sold shares in my Batch #2 auction, and I did not have any minimum bid.  If you wish, you can always reserve the right to cancel the auction.

Also, there seem to be people who bid with the prior intent to cancel.  My solution there was to have people make a payment to a single use bitcoin address.  That way, they could not cancel, and all the bids were public.  Public bids will raise the price.  PM bids do not.

Thanks again for your input, ProfMac, it's greatly appreciated. This being my first auction, I was sure to go about it wrong.

How does one go about canceling an auction, other than just putting in a follow up comment saying "It's cancelled"? I'm also considering listing the parts individually.

Also, what is a single use Bitcoin address? I'm not familiar with that. What you're describing sounds like escrow to me.

--

So with that in mind, if those reading this are interested, make me an offer. I was hoping for 10 BTC to recover my costs, but with the difficulty skyrocketing as it is, I understand if that's too much. Still though, a working Avalon is better than a broken one. If you need this stuff, make me an offer and hopefully we can help each other out.

lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 02:34:52 PM

Underwhelming response. Sad

I had quite a few PMs about these components, but now I'm just hearing crickets. I guess the starting price was way too high. Feel free to make me an offer.

Also, I may end up just selling the control unit separately.

ProfMac
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:58:32 PM

I had quite a few PMs about these components, but now I'm just hearing crickets. I guess the starting price was way too high. Feel free to make me an offer.

2 BTC for the control unit.
2 BTC for all the remaining stuff.

lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 03:46:43 PM

Thanks ProfMac. I'll let that bid stand for a little while and if there are no others who really want it, that may be the winning bid. Based on the PMs I got before, I'm surprised there isn't more interest.

ProfMac
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:53:13 PM

Thanks ProfMac. I'll let that bid stand for a little while and if there are no others who really want it, that may be the winning bid. Based on the PMs I got before, I'm surprised there isn't more interest.

You might put a link to this auction in your signature.  All of the signatures in all of your posts will be updated.
Of course, please feel free not to as well :-)

lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 05:22:47 PM

You might put a link to this auction in your signature.  All of the signatures in all of your posts will be updated.
Of course, please feel free not to as well :-)

Thanks for the tip. I'd be surprised if it created new interest, but it's certainly worth a shot.

I wonder how this forum handles caching with all those changing signatures. :-/

lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 04:33:37 AM

ProfMac is the winner. Consider this auction closed.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 11:12:33 PM

My plan is to run this auction through the weekend

Doh.  I was planning to bid.

Ending an auction early is not the way to get top satoshi for the item.  :/

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
lukestokes (OP)

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 03:50:20 AM

Sorry Bogart, but it was actually last weekend. The "auction" was already over.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: