Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:52:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ANN - [BEE] - 2014 -2018 - BEE COIN - the original BEE ===  (Read 27431 times)
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 01:06:26 PM

This will be the continuation of beecoins up to date thread.

Old threads

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=461550.0 ---------- original BEE coin thread from 2014

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=559876.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=601247.0

I noticed some new projects trying to take the BEE ticker. We should post here to make our intentions known to retain this ticker for BEECOIN the original BEE.

This OP will be updated in due course as the project is progressing and still in the redevelopment stage.

We are expecting the new codebase of BEE to be released shortly so check back for chances to earn BEE coins and join this project.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
htao

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:43:16 PM

Yap, this is the original BEE.

It had it's problems, but it's still around and it may do a strong comeback this year  Grin
mayla alma

Activity: 179
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:52:21 PM

I understand and support you, good luck again

michailr

Activity: 55

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:58:12 PM

Good luck, nice to c u.
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 02:59:53 PM

Thanks for the support guys we hope to bring good opportunities here to earn a nice bee wages in the near future so check back from time to time.

herfianto

Activity: 672

send and receive money instantly, with no hidden c

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 03:06:33 PM

wow.. i will waiting the new codebase of BEE, this will be interesting to join BEE Coin project, hope progresing in the redevelopment will be done.

BEEcoiner

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 10:59:31 PM

Greetings.  I do not own any Beecoin, but recently discovered its existence by doing an Internet search for "beecoin" on a whim due to my love of bees.  I read through the last year or so of posts over the last few days.  It seems I had fortuitous timing as things appear to be moving forward toward a relaunch.

If I am reading correctly, you are still in search of a website developer.  If that is the case, I'd be interested.  I am happy to front my own money to register a domain and pay for hosting and then handle the design.  I did a preliminary search and there are a few good options available.  Perhaps it would be best to discuss via PM to prevent some jerk from quickly registering the desired name once one is agreed to?

Also, does anyone know the old Twitter user's login info?  It would be good to revive that.

Finally, I will give my thoughts on the rebranding: I would go with just "BEE" for the official name ("bee coin" informally to note the crypto currency.)  There seems to be some unspoken consensus on that as the way to move forward and offers the most marketing opportunities, IMO.

(FYI, I've been a user of crypto since 2012 or 2013.  I had a Bitcointalk account year ago, but it seems it was disabled due to a 2015 hack, so I'm starting a new one.)
qubii

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 07:17:15 PM

<quote>
Quote from: qubii on January 05, 2018, 11:42:04 PM
It shows a bunch of incoming transactions - but the total is not reflected in this.

You mean actual Alice-to-Bob txs or stake rewards - if the latter are these not merely orphans?

Cheers

Graham

(Pls forgive the brevity, busy atm)
</quote>

I mean Alice-Bob.

No worries on replies - you must be a 'reet busy chap

If blockexplorer I cant hunt myself and get back to you.
Or can send on info in PM - no rushes.

Regards

icodetected

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 07:27:17 PM

Not so long ago learned about Your project - Beecoin. This is a wonderful project with a strong team of managers! I want to have in your portfolio a few coins BEE, but I'm a crypto-newbie, and I have no bitcoin or more etherium to buy Beecoin Sad  My question is this: will you have another bounty of the company, I will join with great desire!

cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 11:35:28 AM

Greetings.  I do not own any Beecoin, but recently discovered its existence by doing an Internet search for "beecoin" on a whim due to my love of bees.  I read through the last year or so of posts over the last few days.  It seems I had fortuitous timing as things appear to be moving forward toward a relaunch.

If I am reading correctly, you are still in search of a website developer.  If that is the case, I'd be interested.  I am happy to front my own money to register a domain and pay for hosting and then handle the design.  I did a preliminary search and there are a few good options available.  Perhaps it would be best to discuss via PM to prevent some jerk from quickly registering the desired name once one is agreed to?

Also, does anyone know the old Twitter user's login info?  It would be good to revive that.

Finally, I will give my thoughts on the rebranding: I would go with just "BEE" for the official name ("bee coin" informally to note the crypto currency.)  There seems to be some unspoken consensus on that as the way to move forward and offers the most marketing opportunities, IMO.

(FYI, I've been a user of crypto since 2012 or 2013.  I had a Bitcointalk account year ago, but it seems it was disabled due to a 2015 hack, so I'm starting a new one.)

Thanks for your kind offer to help bee design a new website. This is exactly the type of community involvement that is great to see.

As soon as a few more details are ironed out by graham regarding the codebase final name ...and we get certain logo developed then this will be the time to start a website development plan.

thanks for your offer

GREEDYJOHN
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:06:09 AM

Thanks for the progress - I am too busy

moirahpascual11

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:43:05 AM

This is a wonderful project with a strong team of managers! I want to have in your portfolio a few coins BEE, but I'm a crypto-newbie, and I have no bitcoin or more etherium to buy Beecoin
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:13:54 PM

This is a wonderful project with a strong team of managers! I want to have in your portfolio a few coins BEE, but I'm a crypto-newbie, and I have no bitcoin or more etherium to buy Beecoin

Don't worry beecoin will have other ways to find itself inside yours and others portfolios. Micro task and a beelievers wage packet each week would be the way I would like to see beecoin go in future.

cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 02:54:23 AM

just to say... i;m not ignoring any PM's at all its just best and easier to discuss everything on thread.

So yeah thanks for those of you who have offered to build the website or do other work in design or seo.

This is all great and we will certainly do that in the near future.

We just need to finalise some details and the next step is websites and exchanges etc.

I have been looking at a few exchanges and some of those are quite expensive however there are a few more reasonable ones.

It is not a good idea to list beecoin just yet because when we redesign beecoin it may need to be relisted and we will have to pay 2x.

Sometimes it takes quite a while to upgrade a crypto so just a bit more patience and we will hopefully see beecoin rebooted Smiley

As i have said i am not a coin developer myself so any technical questions of a deep level are not best sent to me, post them on the thread.

Real_Unhooked

Activity: 838
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 03:05:07 AM

Guys any eta on the new code base? It has been quite some time since we had an eta? I am afraid BEE will get left behind.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
.....DeepVault.....
....Blockchain File Signatures....
...deeponion.org...
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 09:02:22 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2018, 09:20:24 PM by gjhiggins

Guys any eta on the new code base? It has been quite some time since we had an eta? I am afraid BEE will get left behind.
Your guess is as good as mine, what do you think of it so far? https://github.com/gjhiggins/been/commits/bee

Bee's been getting around 50% of my available effort overall, 80% recently. Available effort is frequently compromised by local constraints.

I will urge people not to underestimate the effort demanded by this kind of activity:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=721936.msg27568755#msg27568755
Start-of-year forward: I am looking at forking PIVX and studying other projects that have successfully and unsuccessfully done so. Of course, a gigantic effort will be needed. The PIVX codebase is very mature and will offer Sterlingcoin users all the features of a state-of-the-art cryptocurrency they may expect in 2018. PoS reward and supply will not change, so long as the community agrees. No ETA or more specifuc details can be given at this time. Many details have to be sorted and much work before more than that can even be said. Of course, this will make for a very exciting 2018 for Sterlingcoin holders. Some work and experimenting has started, but only at a research level. Familiarizing with the code and even some of the functions. I hope to be devoting full-time hours on the task in the very near future. I will report on that.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=721936.msg28795933#msg28795933
To be clear, it is not a PIVX "partnership" per se. The PIVX code is open sourced. We are aiming to fork it, modify it to our needs, and then release it under the Sterlingcoin name. It is normal in open sourced software and very normal in cryptocurrency. Of course credit will remain to the many PIVX developers and done with respect to them all. We have been having some of those discussions in our Discord and all are welcome. It is a very pain-staking process. It will require much time and an ETA cannot be given at this time. I apologize, but there are still too many unknowns to do so with any certainty.

I can now generate blocks, so am setting up a small network to check whether staking works.

Cheers

Graham

Coryvmcs1

Activity: 659
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 09:14:17 PM

What is the algo on this and do you need a pool for it ? if so let me know Ill put it up on Dpool.io

BlokSpace Mining Pools -  https://blokspace.io | BlokSpace Discord# https://discord.gg/dGAKk9T
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:39:52 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2018, 11:10:29 AM by cryptohunter

Your guess is as good as mine, what do you think of it so far? https://github.com/gjhiggins/been/commits/bee

Bee's been getting around 50% of my available effort overall, 80% recently. Available effort is frequently compromised by local constraints.

I will urge people not to underestimate the effort demanded by this kind of activity:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=721936.msg27568755#msg27568755
Start-of-year forward: I am looking at forking PIVX and studying other projects that have successfully and unsuccessfully done so. Of course, a gigantic effort will be needed. The PIVX codebase is very mature and will offer Sterlingcoin users all the features of a state-of-the-art cryptocurrency they may expect in 2018. PoS reward and supply will not change, so long as the community agrees. No ETA or more specifuc details can be given at this time. Many details have to be sorted and much work before more than that can even be said. Of course, this will make for a very exciting 2018 for Sterlingcoin holders. Some work and experimenting has started, but only at a research level. Familiarizing with the code and even some of the functions. I hope to be devoting full-time hours on the task in the very near future. I will report on that.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=721936.msg28795933#msg28795933
To be clear, it is not a PIVX "partnership" per se. The PIVX code is open sourced. We are aiming to fork it, modify it to our needs, and then release it under the Sterlingcoin name. It is normal in open sourced software and very normal in cryptocurrency. Of course credit will remain to the many PIVX developers and done with respect to them all. We have been having some of those discussions in our Discord and all are welcome. It is a very pain-staking process. It will require much time and an ETA cannot be given at this time. I apologize, but there are still too many unknowns to do so with any certainty.

I can now generate blocks, so am setting up a small network to check whether staking works.

Cheers

Graham

Thanks for this update graham that is great news that you are still working away on it.

Many do not realise including myself really how much work it is to revamp a coin especially to an up2date codebase.

I think discussion on thread is the best way forward because sending me Pm;s about technical aspects is fruitless since I am not a coder at any level.

I will 100% help beecoin with what i can do which is get people interested in good projects and also try to ensure things are done as fairly as possible along the way.

But technical matters are not something I can make answers on at all.

BTW Graham did you get my PM regarding setting up a foundation BTC address to accumulate BTC for exchange listings and other things where they only accept BTC or fiat like a server and such?

I am quite happy for you to hold the btc community chest. We could start auctioning off bees now to raise some funds for these things. Then the raised BTC you can allocate to what things you think are best after the code base is released.

During this downturn may be the best time to secure some exchange listings even if we dont list it up until the new codebase is ready and tested.

I want to assure everyone I certainly have not abandoned beecoin and i am not ignoring anyone. I am ready to start pitching in as soon as there is something I can actually do. I would like to see many tasks for everyone that they can complete to enhance bee and also get rewarded for their time and effort. That would be the best way forward as far as I am concerned.

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 08:53:04 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2018, 12:42:05 PM by gjhiggins

BTW Graham did you get my PM regarding setting up a foundation BTC address to accumulate BTC for exchange listings and other things where they only accept BTC or fiat like a server and such?
Yes I did, sorry for the lack of response. In order to construct a coherent and accessible non-technical description of the problem, one first has to understand the nature and detail of the problem.  Usually, laying bare the nature and detail of the problem is a direct precursor for a solution, as it proved to be in this instance so I chose to implement the solution first and write about it later.

I've got this far;
Code:
getinfo
{
  "version": 13000000,
  "protocolversion": 70016,
  "walletversion": 130000,
  "balance": 0.00000000,
  "newmint": 0.00000000,
  "stake": 0.00000000,
  "blocks": 5,
  "timeoffset": 0,
  "connections": 2,
  "proxy": "",
  "testnet": false,
  "keypoololdest": 1513046497,
  "keypoolsize": 100,
  "paytxfee": 0.00000000,
  "relayfee": 0.00010000,
  "errors": ""
}

I'll restrict my comments to addresses, preferring to leave the emissions control system until I've constructed a more detailed mental model of its structure and functioning. I'm not completely out of the woods yet ...
Code:
2018-01-25 01:40:28 ERROR: ContextualCheckBlock() : incorrect proof-of-work at height 5, 1e0fffff / 1e0f095b
2018-01-25 01:40:28 InvalidChainFound: invalid block=000008324[...]6906668  height=6  log2_work=22.807356  date=2018-01-25 01:40:28
2018-01-25 01:40:28 InvalidChainFound:  current best=00000c054[...]4ce9a80 height=5  log2_work=22.584964  date=2018-01-24 23:16:40
The UTXO set/public ledger transfer is eye-wateringly detailed here: https://github.com/gjhiggins/been/blob/bee/src/chainparams.cpp#L46 and initial results are very promising.

Previously, I just used an arbitrary address and a 1234567890 balance conjured out of thin air, worked okay a coupla months ago:

This time out, I created three additional pub/prv address pairs, funded from the community chest and I parked them at the front of the queue so I could check whether the advertised “do it in the genesis block” solution actually worked:

This is all from the current code as committed to the repos. If you can compile up a Linux binary of Bee Core (I haven't got round to working out how to adjust the gitian build system to generate Windows/OSX binaries) then you can import your privkey(s) into it and check whether your UTXO balance i) shows up at all and ii) is accurate. I hope this works as described, it is the most transparent solution. But if not, there are other ways of skinning this particular cat such as a hacking the reward calculation to yield a humungous premine (the unspent total UTXO set) in block 1, credited to a distro address and use the rest of the blocks mined during  the stabilisation period to turn the premine back into the UTXO set simply by sending the corresponding calculated balance to each address until the premine's all spent.

For those who like to work things through for themselves ...

It's the PoS thing, see. AFAIK there are only two PoS alts cloned from Bitcoin Core > 0.10, PIVX and Navcoin.

The technical cost of ownership of PIVX’ complex architecture and functioning puts it currently out of reach of the Bee community (that's my informed assessment). And anyway, PIVX is a clone of Dash and is basically Core 0.11 with Dash additions - I'm unsure whether it includes CLTV (enables decentralised exchange ops).

OTOH, NavCoin is a clone of Bitcoin Core 0.13 (mostly 0.13.1, with a few elements from 0.13.2) adapted for PoS and augmented with some centralised anon servers. CLTV is a feature of 0.13 so decentralised exchange ops are available from the get-go.

Bitcoin Core 0.10 changed the protocol, optimising and reducing the amount of data being sent over the wire, effectively throwing a terminally large spanner into the stake calculator engine (Bitcoin devs couldn't care less). And this is why the vast majority of PoS alts are still running on clones of 0.8.X (attested to by the presence of a qmake .pro file) - a few may have have upgraded to Bitcoin Core. ... okay, I had to check my model against reality and it holds true for all the Bitcoin clone PoS alts in the top 86 alts on coinmarketcap ... Bitcoin Mechanic claimed to have a solution, albeit not quite complete but it didn't get far. I think the 0.10 optimisations stopped carrying the date of each of the txs, deemed necessary to calculate coin age. At least that what I'm inferring from Hans Robeer's solution for PeerCoin - AIUI, his insight is: for the limited purposes of coin age calculation, using the block time as a proxy will suffice. I suspect this is how Navcoin also solves the problem, given that they're adding nTime back into the CTransaction class definition:
Bitcoin Core 0.13.1: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/03422e564b552c1d3c16ae854f8471f7cb39e25d/src/primitives/transaction.h#L371
Navcoin: https://github.com/NAVCoin/navcoin-core/blob/master/src/primitives/transaction.h#L408

Aaanyway, the overall plan was/is to do some basic re-branding, strip out the anon stuff to leave a vanilla Core 0.13 PoS coin, switch in the key Bee parameters and insert the Bee UTXO/public ledger.

What I'm stuck on atm is the PoW instamine that kick-starts the blockchain. Because Bee is basically just Navcoin-rebranded code and Navcoin kicked off with a PoW period before changing over to 100% PoS (as hashrate from staking took over from hashrate from mining), Bee needs to follow the same pattern (except that as we don't need incentivising to mine a few BEE blocks, any generated during the PoW will accrue 0 BEE reward). The coins in the transferred ledger should be ready for staking as soon as the importprivkey returns, so it seems reasonable to expect stakehash will pick up reasonably promptly.

Part of the problem is that Navcoin's own PoW and emissions control code has been untouched since they switched to 100% PoS aaaages ago and the rest of the codebase has since moved on and there may yet be unresolved issues in that department but on the face of it, those tests that are expected to pass (i.e. they do with Navcoin) do pass, looks like the engine is assembled okay, it turns over, starts and even runs, briefly and now it becomes a matter of adjusting the carburettor/timing settings, so to speak. I just have to study the code a bit more and make intelligent use of the QtCreator debugger (a very acceptable IDE, IMO).

The trouble is, I don't often get blocks of uninterrupted time so progress tends to be in fits and starts.

Cheers

Graham
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:57:41 PM

Yes I did, sorry for the lack of response. In order to construct a coherent and accessible non-technical description of the problem, one first has to understand the nature and detail of the problem.  Usually, laying bare the nature and detail of the problem is a direct precursor for a solution, as it proved to be in this instance so I chose to implement the solution first and write about it later.

I've got this far;
Code:
getinfo
{
  "version": 13000000,
  "protocolversion": 70016,
  "walletversion": 130000,
  "balance": 0.00000000,
  "newmint": 0.00000000,
  "stake": 0.00000000,
  "blocks": 5,
  "timeoffset": 0,
  "connections": 2,
  "proxy": "",
  "testnet": false,
  "keypoololdest": 1513046497,
  "keypoolsize": 100,
  "paytxfee": 0.00000000,
  "relayfee": 0.00010000,
  "errors": ""
}

I'll restrict my comments to addresses, preferring to leave the emissions control system until I've constructed a more detailed mental model of its structure and functioning. I'm not completely out of the woods yet ...
Code:
2018-01-25 01:40:28 ERROR: ContextualCheckBlock() : incorrect proof-of-work at height 5, 1e0fffff / 1e0f095b
2018-01-25 01:40:28 InvalidChainFound: invalid block=000008324db632305e37e87b75b09383c9888b34b7d8137ab10b8ab1c6906668  height=6  log2_work=22.807356  date=2018-01-25 01:40:28
2018-01-25 01:40:28 InvalidChainFound:  current best=00000c054ed5d6d24d6bc68fcae092cedd6aa02e522fd4d915d1499c04ce9a80  height=5  log2_work=22.584964  date=2018-01-24 23:16:40

The UTXO set/public ledger transfer is eye-wateringly detailed here: https://github.com/gjhiggins/been/blob/bee/src/chainparams.cpp#L46 and initial results are very promising.

Previously, I just used an arbitrary address and a 1234567890 balance conjured out of thin air, worked okay a coupla months ago:

This time out, I created three additional pub/prv address pairs, funded from the community chest and I parked them at the front of the queue so I could check whether the advertised “do it in the genesis block” solution actually worked:

This is all from the current code as committed to the repos. If you can compile up a Linux binary of Bee Core (I haven't got round to working out how to adjust the gitian build system to generate Windows/OSX binaries) then you can import your privkey(s) into it and check whether your UTXO balance i) shows up at all and ii) is accurate. I hope this works as described, it is the most transparent solution. But if not, there are other ways of skinning this particular cat such as a hacking the reward calculation to yield a humungous premine (the unspent total UTXO set) in block 1, credited to a distro address and use the rest of the blocks mined during  the stabilisation period to turn the premine back into the UTXO set simply by sending the corresponding calculated balance to each address until the premine's all spent.

For those who like to work things through for themselves ...

It's the PoS thing, see. AFAIK there are only two PoS alts cloned from Bitcoin Core > 0.10, PIVX and Navcoin.

The technical cost of ownership of PIVX’ complex architecture and functioning puts it currently out of reach of the Bee community (that's my informed assessment). And anyway, PIVX is a clone of Dash and is basically Core 0.11 with Dash additions - I'm unsure whether it includes CLTV (enables decentralised exchange ops).

OTOH, NavCoin is a clone of Bitcoin Core 0.13 (mostly 0.13.1, with a few elements from 0.13.2) adapted for PoS and augmented with some centralised anon servers. CLTV is a feature of 0.13 so decentralised exchange ops are available from the get-go.

Bitcoin Core 0.10 changed the protocol, optimising and reducing the amount of data being sent over the wire, effectively throwing a terminally large spanner into the stake calculator engine (Bitcoin devs couldn't care less). And this is why the vast majority of PoS alts are still running on clones of 0.8.X (attested to by the presence of a qmake .pro file) - a few may have have upgraded to Bitcoin Core. ... okay, I had to check my model against reality and it holds true for all the Bitcoin clone PoS alts in the top 86 alts on coinmarketcap ... Bitcoin Mechanic claimed to have a solution, albeit not quite complete but it didn't get far. I think the 0.10 optimisations stopped carrying the date of each of the txs, deemed necessary to calculate coin age. At least that what I'm inferring from Hans Robeer's solution for PeerCoin - AIUI, his insight is: for the limited purposes of coin age calculation, using the block time as a proxy will suffice. I suspect this is how Navcoin also solves the problem, given that they're adding nTime back into the CTransaction class definition:
Bitcoin Core 0.13.1: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/03422e564b552c1d3c16ae854f8471f7cb39e25d/src/primitives/transaction.h#L371
Navcoin: https://github.com/NAVCoin/navcoin-core/blob/master/src/primitives/transaction.h#L408

Aaanyway, the overall plan was/is to do some basic re-branding, strip out the anon stuff to leave a vanilla Core 0.13 PoS coin, switch in the key Bee parameters and insert the Bee UTXO/public ledger.

What I'm stuck on atm is the PoW instamine that kick-starts the blockchain. Because Bee is basically just Navcoin-rebranded code and Navcoin kicked off with a PoW period before changing over to 100% PoS (as hashrate from staking took over from hashrate from mining), Bee needs to follow the same pattern (except that as we don't need incentivising to mine a few BEE blocks, any generated during the PoW will accrue 0 BEE reward). The coins in the transferred ledger should be ready for staking as soon as the importprivkey returns, so it seems reasonable to expect stakehash will pick up reasonably promptly.

Part of the problem is that Navcoin's own PoW and emissions control code has been untouched since they switched to 100% PoS aaaages ago and the rest of the codebase has since moved on and there may yet be unresolved issues in that department but on the face of it, those tests that are expected to pass (i.e. they do with Navcoin) do pass, looks like the engine is assembled okay, it turns over, starts and even runs, briefly and now it becomes a matter of adjusting the carburettor/timing settings, so to speak. I just have to study the code a bit more and make intelligent use of the QtCreator debugger (a very acceptable IDE, IMO).

The trouble is, I don't often get blocks of uninterrupted time so progress tends to be in fits and starts.

Cheers

Graham

Thanks for this very informative response.

I think most people including myself can not even start to imagine how complex and vast this kind of project is at a deep level.

The great thing is that (i hope i am correct here ) that when you have finally worked out all of this in depth technical stuff and even solved all of these bugs and hurdles from start to finish you yourself will have now a complete understanding of a lot of the mechanisms these coins work upon. So really you are turning yourself into a fully skilled crypto developer. I know already you are a computer scientist but I guess there are different areas and not many study specifically crypto develeopment.

Now the thing is i know you are busy and that in real life so you can;t like go full time crypto dev (not that any sane person would want to) but to maybe speed things up. Are there any specific questions that right now are holding you up that i could post to a few devs I sometimes speak with and ask them if they could give you a specific response (because maybe they have done or gone through the exact thing you are going through right now before) and their answer may save you a bit of time?

If so then if you PM me any direct specific question( i wont understand it) but then I can maybe post it to them and see if they can give us any tips.

Also do you mean because we are trying to conduct this upgrade in the fairest way with this kind of auto balance shift to the new chain that it is proving to be much more complex than if we just forked nav coin and did a coin swap over to the new code base like that?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: