Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:11:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Bitcoin wallets and payment methods for retail  (Read 4961 times)
No_2 (OP)

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 09:27:40 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 08:52:13 AM by No_2

Can people please recommend me some bitcoin wallets to use to make payment in a retail environment.

Basically I want to be able to wonder into shops, restaurants and pubs and be able to pay in Bitcoin over the till.

I see this as currently breaking down into two main divisions.

1. Different approaches to make payment in a retail environment:

• Fixed Payment Address Per Till
    • bips.me

2. Wallets to use on the move suitable for mobile and tablet such as on an android mobile device:

• blockchain.info wallet - seems to have many issues.
    • Bitcoin Spinner for Android - Anyone used this?
    • Mycelium Wallet, available here for android.

If I get enough info I may make this thread an official list.

Please be aware some websites may contain malware that could steal your cryptocurrency. No assertion is given for the authenticity of the organisations listed here or quality of the goods and services they provide. Myself and bitcointalk.org cannot be held responsible for the contents of other websites.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
No_2 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 09:38:20 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2013, 01:01:50 PM by No_2

Fixed Payment Address Per Till

One approach I can think of to make rapid payment in a retail environment is as follows:

1. Customer scans a printed 2D barcode displayed at the till to get payment address. This constraint means that the address all customers pays will always be the same.

2. Customer sends agreed amount.

3. Retailer confirms funds received by checking blockchain, (e.g. blockchain.info)

Issues with this method:

'Double till attack': The retailer is using the payment amount and time as joint keyfield. In retailers with more than one till on a shop premises two customers who collude could go to different tills and purchase the same items at approximately the same time. Each of the two till attendants then sees a single transaction appear on the blockchain for the right amount to that address. Unaware that there should be two matching transactions each till attendant would then be satisfied that payment has been made and the colluding customers leave having effectively purchased matching goods at half price...

Solution: have a different payment address for each till. Or is there a quick and easy way for the retailer to generate a payment address per customer...?
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 09:45:59 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2013, 10:02:31 AM by escrow.ms

There should be a wallet app that can generate digital paper wallets on cellphone of specific amounts.

Customer just need to show that QR code  (Private key) to retailers webcam and it should sweep funds.

ie:

1.Retailer tells customer to pay 55.5$
2.Customer generates a QR code for 55.5$ on his cell and shows that on retailers webcam/machine
3.Retailers App scans it via webcam and sweep's all funds to a new private key.

This way, there will be no double spend possible.
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:02:17 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2013, 10:13:22 AM by Kris

See if BIPS works for you.

For Customers

Open BIPS in your Mobile browser, sign in, and you are able to use the phones camera to scan QR codes.

For Retailers

Mobile Checkout / Point of Sale to generate a payment address for the customers, uses responsive web design to accommodate any device screen size.
See example: https://bips.me/checkout/mobile/cb

No_2 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:15:48 AM

There should be a wallet app that can generate digital paper wallets on cellphone of specific amounts.

Customer just need to show that QR code  (Private key) to retailers webcam and it should sweep funds.

ie:

2.Customer generates a QR code for 55.5$ on his cell and shows that on retailers webcam/machine

Very nice. Does anything support this at the moment?

Surely in this scenario one could still execute a double spend attack, but with different parties: if the customer also used the private key at the same time it would be the customer's payment verses the retailer's payment and who's ended up on the longest blockchain?
No_2 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:32:36 AM

See if BIPS works for you.

For Customers

Open BIPS in your Mobile browser, sign in, and you are able to use the phones camera to scan QR codes.

For Retailers

Mobile Checkout / Point of Sale to generate a payment address for the customers, uses responsive web design to accommodate any device screen size.

Thanks for this. I am setting up a number of retailers in Brighton to accept bitcoin so I will try this out.
Kris
Donator

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:35:50 AM

Thanks for this. I am setting up a number of retailers in Brighton to accept bitcoin so I will try this out.

Thanks.

This will also give you the possibility to pitch to the retailers that they are able to receive local currency from the sales in Bitcoin directly to their bank account with guaranteed rate.

Regards
Kris
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:39:32 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2013, 11:45:42 AM by escrow.ms

ie:

Very nice. Does anything support this at the moment?

Surely in this scenario one could still execute a double spend attack, but with different parties: if the customer also used the private key at the same time it would be the customer's payment verses the retailer's payment and who's ended up on the longest blockchain?

Well this issue can be solved if Customers App will be customized to delete privatekey/QR code after single use (once it checks that there is a unconfirmed transaction output)

Or
App should generate a encrypted QR code  ( Private key+ encryption) or just simply a "coupon" that can be decrypted/accepted by Retailers app only.
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:41:08 AM

It's really nice, you should add a way to send a copy of generated QR code/invoice to customers email too.
Kris
Donator

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 11:28:59 AM

It's really nice, you should add a way to send a copy of generated QR code/invoice to customers email too.

Invoicing and Recurring Invoicing is available now with the possibility of sending to customers email.
See example: https://bips.me/checkout/invoice/cb/bb

Invoicing and Recurring Invoicing is available in your BIPS account in the https://bips.me/invoices section.
However I do not see this being used by brick and mortar, but maybe I am not looking at all the angles ?
fellowdj

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 08:53:55 AM

This is a very helpful thread. Thanks for starting it No_2

Itcher

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 09:21:01 AM

I used Mycelium for Android. Till now it works very fine - fast transcation, easy to handle, instant creation of new adresses, no download of the blockchain. Regarding the security I can't say anything more than 2 weeks later my btc are still here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: