Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:08:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Server Room in Garage  (Read 303 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MrJaekin (OP)

Activity: 275
Merit: 258

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:14:41 PM

So I've pulled the trigger and I've decided to build a server room in the back of my garage.  Below is a rough sketch of the design.  I've contacted a contractor and he says there is no problem at all with what I want to do but I wanted to see if anyone else has done something similar and have any pointers.  My main concern is heat.  I live in the midwest in the US, which can get up to 100 degrees in the summertime.. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/SSJb2yH.png

Can't seem to get the image to work.. it's above...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
doctorace

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:46:43 PM

exhaust looks good, I would put up a barrier wall on the back of the s9's. don't seal it off but block the air so it can get sucked out by the exhaust fans. I would add cool air inlet fans on the opposite wall to allow more fresh air in. 4 s9's per 30 amp breaker with 220v, highly recommend a nice industrial power strip like a 30 amp knurr server strip. any more questions feel free to ask
MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:56:02 PM

exhaust looks good, I would put up a barrier wall on the back of the s9's. don't seal it off but block the air so it can get sucked out by the exhaust fans. I would add cool air inlet fans on the opposite wall to allow more fresh air in. 4 s9's per 30 amp breaker with 220v, highly recommend a nice industrial power strip like a 30 amp knurr server strip. any more questions feel free to ask

Thanks for the reply doctorace!  These are the PDUs I got:

https://www.tripplite.com/4.8-5.8kw-single-phase-basic-pdu-200-240v-outlets-16-c13-4-c19-l6-30p-15ft-cord-1u-rack-mount~PDU1230/

The top left corner of the image is the corner of my garage.  Ideally I’d like the inlet on the oposite wall as the exhaust, creating a hot/cold aisle, but that’s the interior of my garage.  I at one point had the inlet on the bottom left side wall, but unfortunately the power meter is on the other side of the wall.

Good idea about the air barrier, I’ll definitely look into that as well.  I guess I may just point the inlet fan to the right (towards the door) and blow it towards that side of the room to help.

Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 08:26:24 PM

If it were me I'd create a hot side and cold side and not rely on the associated fans sucking in or pulling out air. You'll also greatly reduce the amount of area you are cooling.

So basically, like mentioned, seal off the front of the units so they are only pulling in cooled air. Then their waste heat is isolated from that cooled air and can be evacuated via your fans.

Also, some questions:

How many miners do you plan to run? I see 6 S9s, missed that. I'd run 3 per 30A. You'll need to find out the current your GPU rigs are pulling. Remember, only run 80% of a circuits capacity.
What CFM fans do you plan to run to exhaust the heat?
What type of cooling are you going to run?

MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:36:20 PM

If it were me I'd create a hot side and cold side and not rely on the associated fans sucking in or pulling out air. You'll also greatly reduce the amount of area you are cooling.

So basically, like mentioned, seal off the front of the units so they are only pulling in cooled air. Then their waste heat is isolated from that cooled air and can be evacuated via your fans.

Also, some questions:

How many miners do you plan to run?
What size circuit(s) are feeding that space?

How many miners do you plan to run? I see 6 S9s, missed that. I'd run 3 per 30A. You'll need to find out the current your GPU rigs are pulling. Remember, only run 80% of a circuits capacity.
I have 6 Antminer S9s and 6 Open Air GPU Rigs
Yeah, I don't ever load more than 80%.. Using all EVGA 1300G2 PSUs.

What size circuit(s) are feeding that space?
(4) 2-pole 30amp circuits

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-20-in-3-Speed-High-Velocity-Fan/4755301
Rated at 6100 CFM in specs.  I have one now and it moves a LOT of air.  Don't know if it moves 6100 cfm or not.  Smiley

This is still up in the air (no pun intended)  Right now in the winter it doesn't get above 40-50 degrees, mostly in the 30s.  A lot colder at night.  When summer comes around, I looked at getting something like this, but it may not be enough.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Celiera-18000-BTU-800-sq-ft-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-with-Heater/50236345

I hate to "cool" the room though... trying to get away from that expense, just hoping to move a lot of air over everything.
ricknamer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:52:37 PM

So I've pulled the trigger and I've decided to build a server room in the back of my garage.  Below is a rough sketch of the design.  I've contacted a contractor and he says there is no problem at all with what I want to do but I wanted to see if anyone else has done something similar and have any pointers.  My main concern is heat.  I live in the midwest in the US, which can get up to 100 degrees in the summertime.. Thanks!

Not really a big fan of the color stain you chose for the wood floor TBH.
MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:59:42 PM

LOL!  That was just the default.. it will be concrete garage floor.  Smiley

What about something like this with a Cold/Hot area, separated with a barrier?

https://i.imgur.com/LR8XAFz.png
ricknamer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:20:47 PM

Yes - that is exactly right.

Now you have a hot isle and a cool aisle.  You'll see that is how most data centers stage their racks.  With cold air coming in from the floor (usually), pulled through the fans set in a barrier and pushed out to the hot side which exhausts out.
MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:41:14 PM

Yes - that is exactly right.

Now you have a hot isle and a cool aisle.  You'll see that is how most data centers stage their racks.  With cold air coming in from the floor (usually), pulled through the fans set in a barrier and pushed out to the hot side which exhausts out.

Thanks. I think I'll have to do some measurements. I think I can set it up this way. The goal is to build the room and still get my car in the garage. HAHA! I think it will work since I've got a pretty deep garage. I have a small car.  Looking at it this way, it looks more efficient as well. I won't have to try to direct the air to a certain area. It would be smart to make the "cold" area smaller than the hot as well, I think.  Less to "cool".
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2018, 09:55:17 PM

Yeah separating the two sides is the only way to go. And again you only want to cool the smallest area possible. I am in Texas so come this summer I will feel your pain. **But** it's more important to get rid of that waste heat than it is to spend a ton of money and try to cool everything to silly low temps. I imagine 70-75F inlet would be OK. At least that's what I am going to shoot for on my cold side.

MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:58:03 PM

Yeah separating the two sides is the only way to go. And again you only want to cool the smallest area possible. I am in Texas so come this summer I will feel your pain. **But** it's more important to get rid of that waste heat than it is to spend a ton of money and try to cool everything to silly low temps. I imagine 70-75F inlet would be OK. At least that's what I am going to shoot for on my cold side.

Sounds good. Thanks again for your input guys! My contractor will be out next weekend to start on the walls and we'll see how it goes! Hopefully I have the space to set it up this way. Thanks!
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:46:58 AM

Something to consider, build cabnets. Don't isolate the miners from the rest of the garage all that concrete floor is a heat great sink and will add cooling in the summer.

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 12:06:56 PM

Something to consider, build cabnets. Don't isolate the miners from the rest of the garage all that concrete floor is a heat great sink and will add cooling in the summer.

I thought about this, and they are out there now in the garage, minus 2 gpu rigs and 5 antminers.  It’s currently loud and really hot in the summer.  The wife would like a little more peace and quiet.  I’ll sound insulating the walls and ceiling on the build as well, so that will help.
score1more

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 12:41:13 PM

I'm not an electrician, so this may be a stupid question.

But you're allocating 120 amps to mining in your house.  Most homes have 200 amp service and panel.  I'm no math wiz either, but that's 80 amps for your home?  If you have a heat pump, electric range, and dryer.  Aren't you stretching your electrical budget for the rest of the home?

Are you pulling in new service from the street?
MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 01:40:49 PM

I'm not an electrician, so this may be a stupid question.

But you're allocating 120 amps to mining in your house.  Most homes have 200 amp service and panel.  I'm no math wiz either, but that's 80 amps for your home?  If you have a heat pump, electric range, and dryer.  Aren't you stretching your electrical budget for the rest of the home?

Are you pulling in new service from the street?

Not a stupid question at all. I do have 200 amp service in the home. I looked at pulling additional service, but electrical code in my area says you can only have 1 entry point into the premise.  I could upgrade my panel from 200 to 400 though. It will be a while before I go to that length.

I may be wrong in this, but I’ve calculated each Antminer S9 pulls a little under 6.5 amps per miner at 220v, which equates to 39 amps for 6. The 6 GPU rigs will pull even less than that, so even with the fans, switch, and other misc equipment, I’ll only be using 80-90 amps max.
score1more

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 02:09:26 PM

Not a stupid question at all. I do have 200 amp service in the home. I looked at pulling additional service, but electrical code in my area says you can only have 1 entry point into the premise.  I could upgrade my panel from 200 to 400 though. It will be a while before I go to that length.

I may be wrong in this, but I’ve calculated each Antminer S9 pulls a little under 6.5 amps per miner at 220v, which equates to 39 amps for 6. The 6 GPU rigs will pull even less than that, so even with the fans, switch, and other misc equipment, I’ll only be using 80-90 amps max.

Right on, as long as you have space in your panel and you don't exceed 200 amps, you should be OK.  It'd suck to trip that 200 amp breaker from your mains.  All those clocks to reset.  Smiley
MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 02:11:13 PM

Right on, as long as you have space in your panel and you don't exceed 200 amps, you should be OK.  It'd suck to trip that 200 amp breaker from your mains.  All those clocks to reset.  Smiley

Haha! Exactly!  I’ll have a really good idea of exactly what they pull when my electrician comes out.  He’s going to measure when they are all running.
MrJaekin (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 07:20:09 PM

OK, I've revised the build a little.. any thoughts?  I added the barrier to separate the hot/cold aisle.  What material are people using to do this?  Insulated tarp?  Clear Plastic?  Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/4u9XZes.png
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: