Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:32:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: solo mining Local hash rate vs pool hash rate please help  (Read 266 times)
trynaEat2 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 07:55:59 PM

hey guys-

ive taken on the task of solo mining and want to ensure I am doing it correct

I have a few questions regrading the (dead on arrivals, stales orphans) been going through a plethora of old posts and running a few tests and brought the effeciency up to 103% and less dead and less dead but still dont think im doing it right..
 before i throw all my S9s on the solo lottery i wanna ensure i am doing it correctly-

the pool rate shows my ~70 Th/s but local only shows 2956 Mh/s  how do I bring that local hash rate up?! 

any settings I should be looking for or anything I should refer to specifically?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate all the posts and i apologize if this is the right place- im still a noob Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wavelengthsf

Activity: 658
Merit: 118

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 08:38:47 PM

Post pictures of your Miner Status so we can see what its reporting.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 09:59:39 PM

1. The fastest s9 is only 14TH, where are you getting 70TH from?

2. Solo mining is like throwing money down the drain, is there any reason you are being so wasteful?

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
trynaEat2 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 10:49:42 PM

wavelengths can i send you a message? I am struggling a took some screen shots but can not figure out how the hell to post them on here- Noob problems Sad

and is solo mining really wasteful? I thought it was the fastest best way to recoup your ROI- and with the current rate blocks are being found and data on fork.lol it seems the probability is increasing-

I have more power that If i found a block which I want to know if i did that I would dedicate all my power to solving that block...
fanatic26

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 11:59:47 PM

wavelengths can i send you a message? I am struggling a took some screen shots but can not figure out how the hell to post them on here- Noob problems Sad

and is solo mining really wasteful? I thought it was the fastest best way to recoup your ROI- and with the current rate blocks are being found and data on fork.lol it seems the probability is increasing-

I have more power that If i found a block which I want to know if i did that I would dedicate all my power to solving that block...

Solo mining is the absolute slowest and worst way to try and recoup costs. It is literally a lottery ticket, like a 1 in 14 million or worse chance of finding a block.

Not sure what you are talking about with the fork.lol data. If you see blocks are being found faster than 10 minutes that means the difficulty will go up a bunch on the next adjustment to keep those numbers in line. Its not getting easier to find a block, its getting much harder.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 01:13:26 AM

The problem with solomining at lower hashrates is insane variance. By pool mining you reduce variance and therefore you get more stable and consistent payouts. Like Fanatic previously said, unless you're looking for a lottery ticket, don't solomine.

If you're looking for a pool, Kano.is is a great option. Lower fees than most pools I know, active and overall nice owner.
trynaEat2 (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 02:43:32 AM

I'm running a local p2pool (in the terminal) and the status of the s9 shows it's working, i think!
If I understand correctly the local hashrate should be the same as the one I see in the miner's status? the other thing would be the pool hash which as pointed out is quite high? any clues what am I missing?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy5r3dxw3fv2t5b/Screen%20Shot%202018-01-08%20at%205.43.13%20PM.png?dl=0
trynaEat2 (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:13:29 AM

I posted a picture above- I am trying to get my local hash rate up-
Thank you for the advice- I was mining on slush pool and ant pool and noticed the return on ant pool was horrible... I needed to do something to recover the costs of the return on investment... I figured solomining or mining not thru ant/slush pool would be most profitable. ie solo route..

realizing i have bit off more than i can chew for the time being I have set up KanoPool but would like to see what I am doing incorrectly to get my local hash rate higher on the picture I posted previously- is there a post somewhere or thread with the settings or "how to" on what the settings should look like..

What does this all really mean lol?

Local: 2355MH/s in last 10.0 minutes Local dead on arrival: ~0.0% (0-2%) Expected time to share: 173.3 days
2018-01-09 00:11:47.949380  Shares: 9 (0 orphan, 0 dead) Stale rate: ~0.0% (0-30%) Efficiency: ~103.3% (72-104%) Current payout: (17.9861)=17.9861 BTC
2018-01-09 00:11:47.949466  Pool: 220TH/s Stale rate: 3.2% Expected time to block: 1.2 years

Did i even find a block? or is it telling me that it will take me 1.2 years to find one lol :O
fanatic26

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:39:00 PM

I dont know what you are doing and what kind of crazy numbers you keep coming up with.

Your miner is reporting wildly inaccurate speeds. The s9 is a 13.5TH miner (or 14th depending on recent batches)

You need to stop using p2pool and just point your miner at a normal PPS payout style pool if you ever want this to work for you. Your miner will make over $750/month before power costs, not sure why you are saying the pools are not profitable.

o_solo_miner
Legendary

Activity: 2440
Merit: 1474

-> morgen, ist heute, schon gestern <-

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:47:50 PM

If you want to try solo mining, then use the solo pool from ck, so you will need no local bitcoind:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=763510.0

and if you think a pool is better, then use his normal pool with no fees for you, that will be the better choice!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1876330.0

good luck anyway  Wink

from the creator of CGMiner http://solo.ckpool.org for Solominers
paused: passthrough for solo.ckpool.org => stratum+tcp://rfpool.org:3334
jackacelives

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:50:49 PM

I think you are severely underestimating how difficult it is to find a block. Its not going to happen today, tomorrow, next week, 6 months from now, etc. It literally is the equivalent of buying a lottery ticket and waiting for it to pay your mortgage off. Unless you have an absurd amount of hashing power (talking like hundreds of antminers, not your 5 14TH/s), you won't be making that ROI, you are going to run yourself poor in electric cost before you ever smell a block.

everyone here is trying to help steer you in the safe, reliable way to get your ROI and not go broke wishing on a star, join a pool like slush or kano (or nicehash if you are lazy), and let it ride.
trynaEat2 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 04:28:43 PM

Well Thank you all for the insight, I am really grateful for this group of geniuses and I would not have been able to start earning so fast!

I am learning very fast!

I live in the states.. Tristate area-- Jersey to be exact-- would love to network with some locals- I have free energy and access to a warehouse with FREE POWER!! Yess NO POWER COST AT ALL _ I also do not pay my utility bill in my apartment either hence why i feel it was most profitable to try the solo route-

Some guy who was trying to sell me the Avalon and S9s initially showed me his own pool and basically showed me how mined a whole block in a little over a month using roughly over 70 Terrahash not using a pool. Was he blowing smoke? I mean he showed me a bunch of screens similar to what i posted in the picture and it seemed like he actually found and solved that block...

How would I know if I actually found the block?

I also downloaded the bitcoin core client and wanted to start using that and getting my payouts via the core client and helping the network by running fibre out here.. would that help the network? is that beneficial?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: