Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:19:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: Electrum has a critical security vulnerability  (Read 315 times)
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:42:40 PM

Just update it through your wallet, there is a button to update it, otherwise, just download the proper version (the latest one) from the official page of Electrum, it is not difficult to do so.
What's the proper way to update? If I download and install the new version, is there any chance of losing my wallet files? Will the 3.0.4 version be able to read my wallet files, or will I need to import my seed?
What do you mean by "your notes"? You are not going to lose anything, and if you import through your seed, you are going to recover your whole balance at the moment, it is just like importing a private key.
I assume I'll lose all of my notes if I import from seed, right? That's sort of a bummer. I was using it to keep records of the transactions, but now I'm afraid to open my wallet. Undecided
Guys, do not use electrum anymore, if this happened before, it can really happen one more time.

Hello

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Davinus

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:52:07 PM

Electrum is a good wallet, but i do not know it has been having a lot of vulnerabilities during the last few days, and honestly, there are too many malwares at the moment, i dont know why everybody, or almost all the hackers are sick for stealing other people's money.
This really needs to end.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:46:40 AM

Electrum is a good wallet, but i do not know it has been having a lot of vulnerabilities during the last few days, and honestly, there are too many malwares at the moment, i dont know why everybody, or almost all the hackers are sick for stealing other people's money.
This really needs to end.

Actually, this vulnerability has been there for past few years, since electrum 2.9-ish if I'm not wrong.
It just that at the time there were no known exploit that uses this vulnerability, until a guy from google showed how to use this vulnerability to steal your seed.
Every software has its bugs, just update your electrum to the newest version or change your wallet completely if you think electrum are not safe anymore Smiley
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2018, 01:01:41 AM

I assume I'll lose all of my notes if I import from seed, right? That's sort of a bummer. I was using it to keep records of the transactions, but now I'm afraid to open my wallet. Undecided
Guys, do not use electrum anymore, if this happened before, it can really happen one more time.

Every wallet can have bugs, including Bitcoin Core and hardware ones. This vulnerability only really affects you if you didn't set a passphrase, which is something everyone should be doing anyway for some basic protection. If you want really good protection, you shouldn't be using Electrum on an online computer anyway. The issue was also fixed a few hours after it was found, which (imo) shows that Electrum is a good wallet to use. What's the wallet you suggest?

Even if we have to upgrade to 3.0.4 version already it is important to upgrade 3.0.5 because the old version even 3.0.4 maybe attacked by the attackers.But in my knowledge it is better to move all our bitcoins into other bitcoin wallet like blockchain wallet or to hardware wallets to keep our coins secured.

Great spam post. Blockchain.info's wallet is even less secure. Blockchain.info could feed you malicious javascript and compromise your keys, they've had a few bugs with things like address generation that has caused a loss of funds, and people can attempt to bruteforce into your wallet.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: