Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:34:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Overclocking Thread - Share Your Results and Tips for others  (Read 10927 times)
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 02:54:05 PM

whoa that wire mod looks sick...
do you think w/o an overvolt that more consistent voltage will help HW% errors drop and thus a bit higher clock even at stock voltage? cuz that mod seems simple enough.

From what I have read from others on Burnins board thread they are seeing big changes in performance with just a 10mv difference.  

a 16awg wire should be good for 10a without much voltage drop.  

it will be a couple of days before I can finish up on the watercooling stuff before I can fire the boards up and take some measurements.

Doh! Im anxious .. oh u already did volt mod huh, thats why gotta wait till WC setup is good...?

Where were the voltage readouts listed, tried finding them in this thread - didnt find them, was it in the avalon users thread?

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
S M I L Y

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

https://www.chynge.net/

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:08:46 PM

do you think w/o an overvolt that more consistent voltage will help HW% errors drop and thus a bit higher clock even at stock voltage? cuz that mod seems simple enough.

From what I have read from others on Burnins board thread they are seeing big changes in performance with just a 10mv difference.  

it will be a couple of days before I can finish up on the watercooling stuff before I can fire the boards up and take some measurements.

Doh! I'm anxious .. oh u already did volt mod huh, that's why gotta wait till WC setup is good...?

Where were the voltage readouts listed, tried finding them in this thread - didn't find them, was it in the avalon users thread?

Bunch of stuff here and the next few pages after.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179769.msg2927914;topicseen#msg2927914

They are running at 1.4v and higher it seems!!!  These are old chips at 110nm i believe!  they will run into signal integrity issues with high clock rates long before we burn one out due to over voltage.    Going too high will just waste a bunch of energy.  

Mine is modded to 1.34v which seems like a good place based on what I have read on Burnin's thread.

tarui

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:38:47 AM

Batch#:  1
Modules:4
PowerSupply: 1250w Seasonic Gold Modular
Extra CoolingSetup:  $20 Box Fan directed at the hotter side.
27-28 degC Ambient A/C Room Temp.
added 36 small heatsinks to the hotter side.
added 2 panaflo 120mm 104cfm fans at the back (psu is external)
added some electrical tape to help funnel air to heatsinks instead of going above/over the heatsinks.
[Firmware Version] => 20130723
Chip Frequency(Default: Advance):  350(insane); 354 is actual read out.
More Options(Default: --quiet):--avalon- 52 or 54
HashRate:   105-120gh/s
Additional Info(whatever I may have missed): added rubber grommets to the rear fans. not done to the front fans as it involves total shutdown of unit.
Uptime:  depends. i occasionally let it cool down for a moment or i shut it down to perform mods or changes,etc

future mods:
adding thermal paste between heatsinks and case
changing thermal paste between the chips and heatsinks to something better like mx-4?
adding grommets to the front fans
cutting the side panel to mount an acrylic window for viewing/monitoring and easy access if needed.
lining edges of panels with rubber lining for noise insulation
lining internal panels with noise absorbent mats.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:58:49 PM

Yup.  JFET transistors act like tiny capacitors when they're closed - the current doesn't actually stop flowing until the capacitor is 'charged'.  And of course more volts means faster charge time.

On the other hand, of course, it means more heat, and more risk of damaging your chips...

Just the wire mod for consistent voltage risks damaging the chips?! ... I would think the more consistent voltage has little / no chance of damage to chips w/ stock cooling..

I know its obvious a mod like 1.34v risks damaging / overheating chips if not properly cooled, but wasnt thinking about doing that. Just the wire mode for tad more clockspeed cuz of the more consistent voltages.
I think my cooling setup should handle it fine (5k rpm 250cfm fans)

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
S M I L Y

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:20:17 PM

Yup.  JFET transistors act like tiny capacitors when they're closed - the current doesn't actually stop flowing until the capacitor is 'charged'.  And of course more volts means faster charge time.

On the other hand, of course, it means more heat, and more risk of damaging your chips...

Just the wire mod for consistent voltage risks damaging the chips?! ... I would think the more consistent voltage has little / no chance of damage to chips w/ stock cooling..

I know its obvious a mod like 1.34v risks damaging / overheating chips if not properly cooled, but wasnt thinking about doing that. Just the wire mode for tad more clockspeed cuz of the more consistent voltages.

Just adding a wire (assuming done correctly) will have no chance of damaging your chips.    However if you have never soldered to electronics before I recommend leaving the board as is.

S M I L Y

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:15:09 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 05:11:59 AM by S M I L Y

Wire and voltage mod preliminary results:  Successful!   Grin

300Mhz      350Mhz        400Mhz
Inductor   1.299v       1.299v         1.299v

Middle      1.290v       1.290v         1.288v

Bottom     1.291v       1.291v         1.289v
chip

Before the 16awg wire I was seeing 50mv drop from top to bottom.

Only one module of 10 chips was powered up. 

400Mhz was perfectly stable.  I only ran for 10 minutes due to thermal reasons(my watercooling solution is not active yet)

From the Burnin thread SebastianJu is getting 450MHz@1340mV
I suspect I should get close to that if the VR can provide the current.

Note 400Mhz at 1.3v is a LOT hotter than at 300Mhz!!! if you do this mod you MUST upgrade the stock cooling!!!!   Thermal paste on the back of the chips at the MINIMUM!!!!! 

tarui

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:28:09 AM

Just adding a wire (assuming done correctly) will have no chance of damaging your chips.    However if you have never soldered to electronics before I recommend leaving the board as is.

where exactly have you soldered the 2 points? i dont see the r10 resistor anywhere on the first pic.

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:52:05 PM

chip

400Mhz was perfectly stable.  I only ran for 10 minutes due to thermal reasons(my watercooling solution is not active yet)

Note 400Mhz at 1.3v is a LOT hotter than at 300Mhz!!! if you do this mod you MUST upgrade the stock cooling!!!!   Thermal paste on the back of the chips at the MINIMUM!!!!! 

Very good results, I love the voltage consistency! ... wish someone could test the same mod w/o overvolt and just the wire mod... Im curious to see how much this could improve clocks...
If ya could guess, what do you think? 370mhz maybe?

S M I L Y

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:18:02 PM

Stability comes from 2 ways.   Voltage and cooling.

Overclockers have been using liquid nitrogen to reach insane speeds for years.   To say weather you can hit a specific speed depends on voltage and cooling. 
I certainly think that if you can do 370mhz stable(no total crashes) with a lot of errors the wire will probably reduce the error rate by boosting the marginal chips voltage. 

Whenever I overclock the first thing I workout is my thermal solution.    You have to do something with the extra heat or it will kill your chips.   Running cooler also helps with stability and error rates.

S M I L Y

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:20:02 PM

where exactly have you soldered the 2 points? i dont see the r10 resistor anywhere on the first pic.

If you look closely the resistor in the exact center of the image is R10.   It is an 0603 size resistor with a 0402 sitting on top. << look closely, its there.

greaterninja (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:08:34 PM

chip

What hash rate are you getting at 400Mhz @ 1.3v for only 10 chips?   Right now the most I've OC my Avalon is 358Mhz.
S M I L Y

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:17:49 PM

What hash rate are you getting at 400Mhz @ 1.3v for only 10 chips?   Right now the most I've OC my Avalon is 358Mhz.

I dont recall exactly.  I believe It was a bit over 4ghs

el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 07:00:56 PM

Interesting.
Is the existing voltage supply going to be able to deliver enough current?
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 09:33:48 AM

I have a batch #2 unit, currently set at 350 mhz and giving 82 gigahashes.

Is it possible to make it run even faster, just by managing the temperature, but without modifying the hardware?

What I mean is - can I manage to make it work on 400 mhz, just by cooling the room where it's standing?
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 09:43:48 AM

Is it possible to make it run even faster, just by managing the temperature, but without modifying the hardware?

What I mean is - can I manage to make it work on 400 mhz, just by cooling the room where it's standing?

No. You need to do a voltage mod, it sounds like.

lastbit

Activity: 206

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 12:10:49 PM

Interesting.
Is the existing voltage supply going to be able to deliver enough current?
Probably yes.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 06:05:25 PM

You could at least try the wire mod for voltage stability across miner boards ... this may yeild some increase in mhz and maintain lower HW error rate. But, probably not to 400mhz.
I would gather somewhere between 365-375mhz...maybe? Past that ya need to do resistor voltage mod.

Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 06:34:42 PM

You could at least try the wire mod for voltage stability across miner boards ... this may yeild some increase in mhz and maintain lower HW error rate. But, probably not to 400mhz.
I would gather somewhere between 365-375mhz...maybe? Past that ya need to do resistor voltage mod.

Is there a high-res photo or more detailed instructions on where to connect the wiring to stabilize voltage?

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 07:20:17 PM

Is there a high-res photo or more detailed instructions on where to connect the wiring to stabilize voltage?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=271575.msg2968737#msg2968737

I think SMILY plans on making a complete writeup soon as well for his mods.

Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 09:41:07 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=271575.msg2968737#msg2968737

I think SMILY plans on making a complete writeup soon as well for his mods.

So I can kind of tell where the wires go from that image, I don't think I'd feel comfortable going by that alone, though Tongue

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: