Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:16:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Bitcoin phone scams happening?  (Read 197 times)
nickgdwn (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:04:40 PM

I've heard that Bitcoin phone scams are making their way around. The scams supposedly call and ask you to pay debts or IRS taxes with an alternate cryptocurrency/Bitcoin while others try to get you to "invest" in a fake coin. The main thing is they seem to be targeting people over the phone.

Has this actually happened to anyone?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Riddikulo

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:16:17 AM

I've heard that Bitcoin phone scams are making their way around. The scams supposedly call and ask you to pay debts or IRS taxes with an alternate cryptocurrency/Bitcoin while others try to get you to "invest" in a fake coin. The main thing is they seem to be targeting people over the phone.

I first heard about this kind of fraud. I think many want to get money in an easy way until the crypto currency is accepted by many states. But how do they know my phone number?
ocid

Activity: 588
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:01:32 AM

If bitcoin has been inaugurated by all countries and its popularity can already be felt by the general public, the possibility of such a crime could happen, but the party committing the crime is of course originating from the same country because they can know the local phone,so the target will be randomly selected to be victims of such crimes.
nickybon

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:10:47 AM

I think this can happen in this age, but now I have not seen you, please update the latest information to avoid people.
Zendalet

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:11:37 AM

I'm seeing more and more airdrops asking for phone numbers and requiring KYC/AML with personal identification. It's a dangerous trend and I think if you participate in such an airdrop you should be aware of the risk involved of sharing your personal information. Don't be surprised when scammers use your gullibility and greed against you.
sarfwr

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:32:04 AM

Was it the first time I'd heard of such a scam, because the so-called phone scam if someone paid for encrypted money? Huh

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
kriptostarik

Activity: 84

Presale Live!

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:38:46 AM

I once called a friend from an unknown phone. He introduced himself as a tax officer and began to demand appearance in the appropriate department, to name the amounts that I own in crypto-currencies. For an instant I was surprised. But he did not introduce himself and was rude to me. So I quickly exposed him. But everyone will not be prevented from knowing their rights for possible communication.

sadacoin

Activity: 145
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:06:25 AM

Now the scam means endless. Although I have not encountered such a situation, but I think bitcoin fraud phone is very likely to happen.
orion_tera
Copper Member

Activity: 47

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:13:42 AM

I believe that it is not criminally prosecuted in a lot of countries, so it is very sneaky.
jelly199

Activity: 97

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:21:17 AM

I've been hearing that Bitcoin phone scams are making their way around. These scams supposedly call and ask you to pay debts or IRS taxes in Bitcoin or others to purchase Bitcoin.
cryptopussies

Activity: 196

HEXCASH - Decentralized Fun

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:32:48 AM

That is surely a scam or fraudulent activities,nothing new with these schemes like what my friends were receiving from the past few months.These people probably are the same people hunting cryprocurrency traders just to be safe with these people you call the IRS or anyone telling you who they are.Theres an incident with my of my friend that someone called him and wants him to wire transfer a huge amount to pay his debts after he called the caller's number it is registered to someone else's phone number that is outside the U.S.

Website            ◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇ VELOX ◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆       ◆ ANN Thread
Whitepaper     The Future of Anonymous Trading      ◆ Twitter       
Discord             ◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆       ◆ Telegram   
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 09:46:22 AM

I have never heard of crypto related phone scams. I mean where will they get our numbers from? Can only happen if scammers are targeting you and you have posted your telephone number publically or maybe a service you are using sold it or got hacked. But irrespective of how they will get your number, I think only a crypto noob will get caught in such a trap.

Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:51:37 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2021, 12:48:57 AM by Quantumplation

NOTE: This message was originally not posted by me, but instead by someone who compromised my account.  I have deleted the content.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:11:51 AM

If its about IRS then its related to the United States and if anybody should be targeted, it then means your information provided at some point have been compromised for them to that you have interest in crypto. One reason why one needs to be more careful where you drop your contact details online and where you fill and all sorts of verification processes. I have not been contacted, but I think its just common sense just like the amount of PMs sent on the forum by bots or newbies advertising some forms of ICOs that don't even exist. What you do is just to ignore. No one is making you do such at gun point.
Thyaga

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:15:22 AM

the country where I live deception with that mode has not happened yet, but fraud with this type of calling is the most mainstream thing in this country
Julia1992

Activity: 518
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:17:44 AM

no wonder that already and telephone scammers have appeared! where only such people are taken by vile !? once again I am convinced that in such work, and in any other one one must be very attentive and with a clear head!

limmousine

Activity: 546
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:51:44 AM

I've never heard of this, but it's so stupid of that person to believe it instantly without knowing the source of the caller.
tushkanych

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:00:10 AM

Pretty stupid Scam. This trick will take place with elderly people, they suffer from such. But the demand to pay cryptocurrency on the phone of a person who is engaged in it is very silly, in my opinion. Personally, I would have sent very very far away.
cryptodagger

Activity: 224

Stable coin to make charity free for everyone

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:02:57 AM

Why someone in IRS would call you randomly?we are using cryptocurrencies for out anonimity and for our own privacy these is why i dont tell my friends that i am into cyptpcurrency,because you will never know when a great danger will come.Best thing to do is to ignore these calls,do not entertain them to give you a peace of mind you may want to change your phone number.

ViciousWarlock29

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:06:46 AM

This is an obvious fraud and been used for a long time but now they have upgraded and using cryptocurrency as payment. LOL Scammers and fraudsters are now upgrading their style.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: