Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:23:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should trading be closed on weekends?!  (Read 3021 times)
The_JMiner (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 10:56:43 PM

Considering the obvious that you can not transfer cash funds to your account on weekends (due to banks being closed) why not close the markets on weekends.

Just wondering what people think.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:02:14 PM

Why impose limitations for the sake of imposing limitations?  If some people want to trade on the weekend, they should be able to trade on the weekend.  No one is forcing you to trade on the weekend.
The_JMiner (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:03:53 PM

Why impose limitations for the sake of imposing limitations?  If some people want to trade on the weekend, they should be able to trade on the weekend.  No one is forcing you to trade on the weekend.

Well the idea is so that the market is not so volatile due to outside forces. Also people wont FREAK OUT cause they ordered to withdraw their money on Sat and its Monday morning and "WTF ITS NOT HERE!"  In my opinion less volatility I think is better for the market.

bitebitebite

Activity: 95

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:13:11 PM

No. I would like to make money
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:50:47 PM

Well the idea is so that the market is not so volatile due to outside forces. Also people wont FREAK OUT cause they ordered to withdraw their money on Sat and its Monday morning and "WTF ITS NOT HERE!"  In my opinion less volatility I think is better for the market.
That's the beauty of the free market - it corrects things like this automatically, without regulation.  Have you noticed that there is less and less of a dip on the weekends, since more and more people have recognized the dip and decided to take advantage of it?  Their taking advantage of it means that they are selling during the week when the prices are theoretically higher, then buying on the weekend, when the prices are theoretically lower.  This causes the price during the week to drop, and the price during the weekend to raise, evening out the discrepancy.

Not only that, but there would be no way to force ALL exchanges to cease activity on the weekend.  The moment one exchange closes for the weekend, people will simply move to the next exchange that doesn't close on the weekend.
MKW2012

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:02:04 AM

No. I would like to make money

This about sums it up.

If people don't want the risk of owning them over the weekend close your position before the weekend. But for those who don't mind it let the traders trade.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:13:50 AM

Considering the obvious that you can not transfer cash funds to your account on weekends (due to banks being closed) why not close the markets on weekends.

Why not open banks on the weekend instead?

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:17:29 AM

People can still deposit via LR, Dwolla balance, TC, and various other methods (or just keep some balance on the exchanges). Even with closed banks there are ways to move funds around.

(and I say this for most exchanges, since Dwolla/LR are widely supported)
Smalleyster

Activity: 84

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 06:24:36 AM

No. that's an absure idea. I specifically want the ability to trade 24/7.

Cash out to your wallet or dwolla account if you are nervous.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
HanRuien

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:09:23 AM

No. that's an absure idea. I specifically want the ability to trade 24/7.

Cash out to your wallet or dwolla account if you are nervous.

i personally think the idea of 24/7 needs to get removed from peoples heads.
this is a global thing, it will be Required to be 24 hours a day, its noon somewhere all the time.
a majority of people in the world dont recognize the rest days people get in the US.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 09:43:17 AM

Trading can be closed for you on the weekend. Just don't trade.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 09:48:03 AM

Just wondering what people think.
It's obvious what the disadvantage would be -- people who wanted to trade on the weekends could not do so. I'm still trying to figure out what the advantage would be. Care to help me out?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
muad_dib

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:16:29 AM

It's obvious what the disadvantage would be -- people who wanted to trade on the weekends could not do so. I'm still trying to figure out what the advantage would be. Care to help me out?

The market depth is much thinner on the weekends.

Official exchanges are closed on the weekend not because they are lazy, but to make speculator's job more difficult.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 10:35:15 AM

Official exchanges are closed on the weekend not because they are lazy, but to make speculator's job more difficult.
So what would the advantage be? Do we just hate speculators and like to make them suffer if possible?

muad_dib

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:38:05 AM

So what would the advantage be? Do we just hate speculators and like to make them suffer if possible?
[/quote]

Speculators become rich by sucking money out of the system.

We all work hard ( I guess ) to make bitcoin more widespread, and thus increasing its value.

Instead the effect of a speculator is just the opposite.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 10:43:10 AM

Speculators become rich by sucking money out of the system.
Umm, no.

Instead the effect of a speculator is just the opposite.
No.

Speculators become rich by stabilizing prices across varying supply and demand bursts. One of the biggest things Bitcoin needs to be seriously useful as a currency is a more stable value and better resistance to supply and demand bursts. Right now, the more speculators, the better for bitcoin.

haydent

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:45:46 AM

no

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
muad_dib

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:49:40 AM

Speculators become rich by stabilizing prices across varying supply and demand bursts. One of the biggest things Bitcoin needs to be seriously useful as a currency is a more stable value and better resistance to supply and demand bursts. Right now, the more speculators, the better for bitcoin.

I agree if you tell me that speculators help to reduce the spread in the market.

I disagree if you say we need more speculators, or if you say that speculators stabilize the market. Dont you remember the 33$ price spike?
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:54:42 AM

I agree if you tell me that speculators help to reduce the spread in the market.
They do.

I disagree if you say we need more speculators, or if you say that speculators stabilize the market. Dont you remember the 33$ price spike?
I agree that speculators can destabilize a market when they speculate badly. However, these are not really speculators -- they are gamblers. Speculators, in the sense of rational speculators, stabilize the market.

rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:36:09 PM

I think if it wasn't for automated traders, not trading weekends would make a lot of sense. As it is, though, they're out there and should be capable of stopping the market going insane over the weekend. Also, if Mt. Gox announced they weren't going to trade at weekends, how long before weekend traders move to another exchange?

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: