Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:44:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB]: One fake 10oz Engelhard silver plated bar, one 1oz fake Engelhard bar  (Read 3832 times)
Bitweasil (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:19:39 AM

I would like to obtain 1x fake 10oz Engelhard silver bar (I know they're out there), and 1x fake 1oz Engelhard silver bar.

I don't want to pay the 0.7 btc that certain people are charging on some sites, because I know they're a whole hell of a lot cheaper than that to obtain.

I'm looking to pay around 0.2 btc shipped to the USA for the 11oz of fake/plated silver.

I'd like to characterize them and test some techniques for identifying fake silver.  These bars are supposedly using a more sophisticated alloy that more accurately resembles silver than some of the older fakes.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:24:59 AM

I would like to obtain 1x fake 10oz Engelhard silver bar (I know they're out there), and 1x fake 1oz Engelhard silver bar.

I don't want to pay the 0.7 btc that certain people are charging on some sites, because I know they're a whole hell of a lot cheaper than that to obtain.

I'm looking to pay around 0.2 btc shipped to the USA for the 11oz of fake/plated silver.

I'd like to characterize them and test some techniques for identifying fake silver.  These bars are supposedly using a more sophisticated alloy that more accurately resembles silver than some of the older fakes.

They might be out there, but the 1 Oz fakes are more expensive than the real 1 oz bar. 1 Oz bars/coins aren't faked often, unless they are collectors items, because its realitively expensive to fake them well. 10 Oz fakes aren't that uncommon, but most of them are really bad quality. If they are good quality, they get spendy pretty quickly. (maybe check Ebay?)

I remember looking into this when I was buying a lot of 1Oz silver coins/bars, and in order for it to be profitable for 1 Oz fakes to be made, the price of silver had to be over $38/oz, so .7BTC might not be too far off for both. The materials they make the fakes out of are cheaper, but the machining costs are pretty high.
KingOfSports

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 05:35:56 AM

I'd like to characterize them and test some techniques for identifying fake silver.  These bars are supposedly using a more sophisticated alloy that more accurately resembles silver than some of the older fakes.

They might be out there, but the 1 Oz fakes are more expensive than the real 1 oz bar. 1 Oz bars/coins aren't faked often, unless they are collectors items, because its realitively expensive to fake them well. 10 Oz fakes aren't that uncommon, but most of them are really bad quality. If they are good quality, they get spendy pretty quickly. (maybe check Ebay?)

I remember looking into this when I was buying a lot of 1Oz silver coins/bars, and in order for it to be profitable for 1 Oz fakes to be made, the price of silver had to be over $38/oz, so .7BTC might not be too far off for both. The materials they make the fakes out of are cheaper, but the machining costs are pretty high.

On silk road there are fake silver bars, honestly they are your best bet if you want to test them. After visiting the site and seeing those I will now question all the silver and gold I ever buy. Sad people make such things.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 09:57:41 AM

There is a 1oz silver plated Engelhard round on Bitmit.
Bitweasil (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 02:25:04 PM

On silk road there are fake silver bars, honestly they are your best bet if you want to test them. After visiting the site and seeing those I will now question all the silver and gold I ever buy. Sad people make such things.

I'm aware, and I don't want to pay 0.8 btc or so for one shipped when a real bar is 2.2 btc.

My goal is to get one or more of the "good fakes," compare them to the real bars, and provide some useful metrics for identifying the fake ones.  I know they look real, and supposedly pass the magnetic eddy current tests, but I assume there are easily determined differences in size.  Worst case, you can use an ultrasonic thickness gauge (they've gotten cheap) to positively identify the metal.  I just don't want to buy a lot of fake bars, which is what I'd have to do to get them for a good price off alibaba.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:31:36 PM

I bet they sound different than real bars
Rawted

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 10:39:14 PM

They do, and it's a common trick used to test authenticity. Fake stuff is more of a thud instead of a ping. I would just stick to the density test, there's no possible way to beat that, given standard bullion measurements.
Bitweasil (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 10:54:42 PM

Right.  I'm aware.

I'd like to sit down with a 10oz real bar, a 10oz fake bar, and compare them in a variety of tests.  I've seen various claims made, various claims argued against, and I want to take state of the art in fakes and evaluate it. Smiley

peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 11:30:37 PM

Right.  I'm aware.

I'd like to sit down with a 10oz real bar, a 10oz fake bar, and compare them in a variety of tests.  I've seen various claims made, various claims argued against, and I want to take state of the art in fakes and evaluate it. Smiley
I work in precious metals. Please post your results if obtained.
Bitweasil (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:00:23 AM

Seriously.  Nobody has one of these they want to sell me?

I'm offering to pay perfectly good bitcoin for quite fake metal!

Rawted

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:37:50 AM

Sorry if this has been repeated, but have you tried some place like aliexpress? i found these scottsdale silver non magnetic fakes with 2 seconds of searching. they seem to have all sorts of varieties for cheap.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-B0013-Promotions-Free-Shipping-5-Pcs-Lot-One-Troy-Ounce-Scottsdale-Silver-Bar-No/830634677.html
Bitweasil (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:10:53 AM

I've found someone willing to sell me what I'm looking for.

I didn't care to make a bulk order, as I don't have any use for a large amount of fake silver.

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:18:22 AM

I didn't care to make a bulk order, as I don't have any use for a large amount of fake silver.

Cool Story Bro

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
rpg

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:26:49 AM

Seriously.  Nobody has one of these they want to sell me?

I'm offering to pay perfectly good bitcoin for quite fake metal!

i have one coin i bought on ebay a few years back that doesn't respond to diamagnetic. I think is an eagle
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:33:18 AM

They do, and it's a common trick used to test authenticity. Fake stuff is more of a thud instead of a ping. I would just stick to the density test, there's no possible way to beat that, given standard bullion measurements.

its possible. all you have to do is layer silver on top of tin on top of a tungsten core. if you get the ratio right than you can perfectly match the density of silver.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Rawted

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:33:28 AM

The link i provided was $17 for 5 of them, with free shipping. Seemed to be good.

Glad to see that you got what you needed.
Bitweasil (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 04:01:01 AM

The link i provided was $17 for 5 of them, with free shipping. Seemed to be good.

Glad to see that you got what you needed.

Those are the 1oz bars.  I only need one of those, and I need a 10oz bar as well.

Bitweasil (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 04:01:40 AM

its possible. all you have to do is layer silver on top of tin on top of a tungsten core. if you get the ratio right than you can perfectly match the density of silver.

Right, but the depth measurement with an ultrasonic gauge should be badly wrong.  Basically, I just want to see how good this batch of bars is.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:36:39 PM

Right, but the depth measurement with an ultrasonic gauge should be badly wrong.  Basically, I just want to see how good this batch of bars is.

that's correct. ultrasonic is what you would have to use to detect that sort of forgery. perhaps some form of electrical resistance test might work also?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:42:23 PM

I am interested in a fake 10oz and 1oz too.  Let me know if I can get in on whatever you find.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: