Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:46:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Bitcoin ONLY a good idea?
Yes, it is better than having other methods + Bitcoin - 18 (31%)
No, it would be better to have other methods + Bitcoin - 40 (69%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Accept Bitcoins only? Please vote in the poll.  (Read 1906 times)
bitdude (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:12:49 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 07:01:27 AM by bitdude

We are working on an online project which is not related to the Bitcoin world in any way. So far we are offering free services to thousands of users every day, but within a couple of months we should introduce commercial services too. And I am thinking about this:

Would it be a good thing to go with Bitcoin ONLY for accepting payments for the commercial services? Would accepting Bitcoin and Bitcoin ONLY encourage Bitcoiners to go with us, or would they NOT care at all if we also implement PayPal and fiat methods?

Would it make a difference? If we want to support Bitcoin by accepting it, would accepting Bitcoin only be appreciated more by the community than just accepting it besides others?

What do you think?

Of course that we can start with Bitcoin and add PayPal later and thus effectively finding the answer ourselves later, but once we do PayPal, there is hardly how to take it back down.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
g83

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 08:19:23 AM

It depends on the acceptance and seriousity to your project at all... It could be good for bitcoin if a project that mainly is not related to bitcoin at all choose to accept only bitcoin as a payment imo
reannypleas

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 08:26:28 AM

Would it be a good thing to go with Bitcoin ONLY for accepting payments for the commercial services? Would accepting Bitcoin and Bitcoin ONLY encourage Bitcoiners to go with us, or would they NOT care at all if we also implement PayPal and fiat methods?

In fact I preffer other methods of payments possible even if I pay with BTC because it make the site less likely as scammy.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 11:54:16 AM

Normally I would say it's not a good idea to alienate customers based on their currency preference, that it would be awesome to just add Bitcoin as an extra so people can pay anonymously, but the problem is governments are going to get so desperate soon I predict it will soon be impossible to do business in conventional currencies if you are at all associated with Bitcoin because of the ridiculous laws they're going to introduce. I think anyone trying to set up a Bitcoin business needs to have a look at the history of wealth transfer and capital flight to have a proper understanding of what they're getting into when it comes to using Bitcoin.

Pretty soon it's going to be a question of them or us the more governments realise that they can't control Bitcoin at all.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 12:54:34 PM

Bitcoin still has a lot of room to grow, so I would accept bitcoin and some other payment options too, if I were you.

If your service interests me I would prefer paying in bitcoin though. I have exceptional levels of hate built up over the years against paypal, banks and the like. Smiley
bitdude (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 02:35:29 PM

Thanks, I have added a poll too, so please vote.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 02:53:15 PM

Normally I would say it's not a good idea to alienate customers based on their currency preference, that it would be awesome to just add Bitcoin as an extra so people can pay anonymously, but the problem is governments are going to get so desperate soon I predict it will soon be impossible to do business in conventional currencies if you are at all associated with Bitcoin because of the ridiculous laws they're going to introduce. I think anyone trying to set up a Bitcoin business needs to have a look at the history of wealth transfer and capital flight to have a proper understanding of what they're getting into when it comes to using Bitcoin.

Pretty soon it's going to be a question of them or us the more governments realise that they can't control Bitcoin at all.

True, but so long as the OP is allowed to set prices in each currency independently, he should take advantage of it. Once they start mandating that BTC prices must equal fiat_exchange+fees (or some other weird rule), then he'll have to choose.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:41:50 PM

+1

It depends on the acceptance and seriousity to your project at all... It could be good for bitcoin if a project that mainly is not related to bitcoin at all choose to accept only bitcoin as a payment imo
Twilight_Sparkle

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 04:46:39 PM

What reason would you have to do bitcoin only? All that does is limit the way customers can pay for your services. Most of the time you would want as many ways to pay as possible. That is the reason places like wal-mart accept: creditcards/debitcards/cash/check/ebt/wic/moneygram. Notice how they did not limit themselves to one option.

I mean sure, only bitcoin is a great way to promote bitcoin, however do expect a massive hit to revenue.

1H8gQ7KEN65pbdtusg28NQ33YWFBPgWAf1
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 07:42:04 PM

If Bitcoin is a preferred payment mechanism, give a discount for using it equivalent to the convenience it gives you.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 11:42:17 PM

I'd say, use other payment methods as well, but give a discount or benefits to those that pay with bitcoins. That would probably promote bitcoin the best.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
albyva

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:16:21 AM

I'd say, use other payment methods as well, but give a discount or benefits to those that pay with bitcoins. That would probably promote bitcoin the best.

Who is going to subsidies that discount? After all, if you can buy an car for a discount with bitcoins, who's
going to cover that spread?   
bitdude (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:00:52 AM

Who is going to subsidies that discount? After all, if you can buy an car for a discount with bitcoins, who's

In our particular case, this is possible since expenses are not directly connected to the services we offer. Expenses are mostly on vages, HW, hosting and a like, but providing a service to one more customer makes no difference. So we can do the discount like some people suggest.

In your car example case, you can always replace discount for Bitcoins with extra charge for non-Bitcoins. But of course, this might cause your customers go somewhere else where it is cheaper. This means that if you have strong competition on the market (i.e. you can not make difference in things like quality or support - think about selling Red Bulls), discount with Bitcoins implemented as an extra charge for non-Bitcoins would be much like Bitcoins only way - you will end with only Bitcoin customers.

So far the poll is slightly for having other methods + Bitcoin, but we would need much more votes to have it clearly.
Itcher

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:14:50 AM

Don't you have to pay fees with paypal etc.? Give the fees, you don't have to pay with bitcoin, to the consumer
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:10:11 PM

;Donly bitcoin makes you like a second silk road
J603

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:46:13 PM

We are working on an online project which is not related to the Bitcoin world in any way. So far we are offering free services to thousands of users every day, but within a couple of months we should introduce commercial services too. And I am thinking about this:

Would it make a difference? If we want to support Bitcoin by accepting it, would accepting Bitcoin only be appreciated more by the community than just accepting it besides others?

What do you think?

Of course that we can start with Bitcoin and add PayPal later and thus effectively finding the answer ourselves later, but once we do PayPal, there is hardly how to take it back down.

If it's not related to bitcoin, why would you solely have the option to pay with bitcoin? Wouldn't that alienate your customers?
bitdude (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:21:00 AM

If it's not related to bitcoin, why would you solely have the option to pay with bitcoin? Wouldn't that alienate your customers?

That is definitely one of the possible scenarios. It might be affected by the quality and price of our services and also by our competition. If we are not significantly better either in price or quality then they are likely to leave to our competition. On the other hand, if we are better, it might be an impulse for them to get into Bitcoin just because the need to pay for our services.

It would definitely alienate those customers who already read about Bitcoin and did not like it (or worse).

And by the end of the day it is of course about the numbers - would the number of customers willing to pay in Bitcoin only be enough to give us a solid paycheck? Would the Bitcoin only strategy encourage Bitcoiners to leave their current service providers and go with us just to support our effort? Or would they be reluctant to do so? Are today's Bitcoiners still more enthusiasts who believe in Bitcoin because of its principles or are they more of people who use Bitcoin solely because of its direct advantages (e.g. no fees)?

Of course that from strictly economical point of view, it is more likely that we earn more money if we provide as many payments methods as possible. But being one of the Bitcoin enthusiast I can risk a part of the income to support the idea. The question is whether it is a good way to do so and whether someone would even care.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:04:45 PM

It's too early to launch a service with BTC as the only way of payment. To begin something new, you need to get the largest possible customer base, and few people have BTC today. Or do you have any reason to believe your business will be more appealing to BTC owners than non owners?

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:50:38 AM

ASIC and pertinent IPOs will destroy this.

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
bitdude (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:03:18 AM

It's too early to launch a service with BTC as the only way of payment. To begin something new, you need to get the largest possible customer base, and few people have BTC today. Or do you have any reason to believe your business will be more appealing to BTC owners than non owners?

No, our users should be of quite normal distribution regarding to BTC.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: