Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 12:34:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whistling sound from the latest batch of S9's  (Read 459 times)
Zand_ (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:06:46 PM

Anyone else with the Jan batch of S9's notice a distinct whistling sound when the miners are running? I've only noticed this with the latest batch. This is not to be confused with the normal sound of fans spinning.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kotlarz

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 11:20:41 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2018, 12:06:55 AM by frodocooper

Anyone else with the Jan batch of S9's notice a distinct whistling sound when the miners are running? I've only noticed this with the latest batch. This is not to be confused with the normal sound of fans spinning.

Yes, multiple of the S9 that I ordered from the Jan batch has this, was curious if I was really unlucky or if it's common
derkos

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 12:09:12 AM

Yes!  They whistle and its maddening.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1704

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 12:17:31 AM

I have one S9 (January 21-30 2018 batch) and it is equipped with Nidec fans (see my review thread, link in signature space).

Are you guys having these whistle noise issues with the Nidec fans or some other manufacturer fans?

dlezama

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 12:58:06 AM

Same Nidec fan for mine. From the beginning I thought this horrible noise was not normal. I don't have any other S9 to compare though. I do have an L3+ and a D3 and they are silent compared (even when they rev up i.e. during boot). This piece of shit sounds like a siren.
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 01:35:45 AM

Yeah my Jan batch S9 sounds distinctly different from the Dec batch. I'll check on the fan brand.

HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 01:38:27 AM

It could be a bad quality cooling fan production batch and the fans having this issue --->  coil whine.

Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 01:42:50 AM

It could be a bad quality cooling fan production batch and the fans having this issue --->  coil whine.

I will say that this Jan 13.5 TH S9 runs cooler than my Dec 14 TH, but who really knows why with the apparent variance of the hardware. But they are all doing their job and hashing away so I don't care what they sound like Smiley

Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 01:56:28 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2018, 12:07:46 AM by frodocooper

This is the fan I have on the Jan batch S9. Yate Loon D12BM-12D

HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 01:58:17 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2018, 12:08:22 AM by frodocooper

I will say that this Jan 13.5 TH S9 runs cooler than my Dec 14 TH, but who really knows why with the apparent variance of the hardware. But they are all doing their job and hashing away so I don't care what they sound like Smiley

It could be some simple improment, like using a better quality thermal adhesive with heat sinks, than with the previous batches.

Ah, okay. Your S9 does not have the Nidec fans.

I've never seen those fans before.

Your S9 fans are manufactured by Yate Loon Electronics.

dlezama

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 01:59:29 AM

That one is different. Are we sure the noise is from the exhaust fan though? Could it be the intake fan whistling? or something different in the geometry of the boards or inside the case creating a "siren" ?

Whatever it is, it sounds like the Jan ones are the ones affected.

(I wish I could say mine works fine, 4 days after getting it 1 board was dead)
dlezama

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 02:05:47 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2018, 12:08:39 AM by frodocooper

It sounds quite different than that. It's something mechanical in the fan or high pitch vibration caused by air movement. As I said this is my only S9, I'll need to compare with the next one I get in March. So maybe it's normal, it doesn't sound too much worse than this apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOEGC4yHbiM&t=5m20s And the guy actually refers to it a "whistling noise" and blames air acoustics too Smiley
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 02:15:46 AM

Maybe the heat sink configuration in that unit is not in the perfect straight line, causes turbulence, and therefore whistling noise?

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 2485

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 02:24:09 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Folks, the s9 whistle has been documented in the Official s9 thread and discussed to death there for nearly 2 years. To some extent it is present on ALL of them starting with batch-1 so long ago...

Yes it it worse on some and not too annoying on others but that is the nature of buying an INDUSTRIAL/COMMERCIAL-grade miner. As Haggs said, on some the sinks are aligned better and don't create as much turbulence. In any case, they were made to be ran where noise is not an issue -- not at home or in an office. Point is, hope you learned to do a little research before investing over 1k$ next time?

The sound is simply the siren effect caused by high speed blades moving air over slots/fins located perpendicular and very close to the blades. Look up how a mechanical siren works for pretty pictures. Don't know if anyone ever tried putting a short spacer tube between the intake fan and the body of the miner but that *could* break the coupling between the blades/fins to reduce it. Hell a tube say 2" long would probably eliminate it all together. Can't say I've tried simply because my farm is certainly not in my home..

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2018, 02:26:32 AM

Folks, the s9 whistle has been documented in the Official s9 thread and discussed to death there for nearly 2 years. To some extent it is present on ALL of them starting with batch-1 so long ago...

Yes it it worse on some and not too annoying on others but that is the nature of buying an INDUSTRIAL/COMMERCIAL-grade miner. They were made to be ran where noise is not an issue -- not at home or in an office Point is, hope you learned to do a little research before investing over 1k$ next time?

The sound is simply the siren effect caused by high speed blades moving air over slots/fins located perpendicular and very close to the blades. Look up how a siren works for pretty pictures. Don't know if anyone ever tried putting a short spacer tube between the intake fan and the body of the miner but that *could* break the coupling between the blades/fins to reduce it. Hell a tube say 2" long would probably eliminate it all together. Can't say I've tried simply because my farm is certainly not in my home..

Mine sounds pretty much like the video. I'd say leave it be and make some $$$. I'd dump that surge protector though Smiley

Zand_ (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 04:17:26 PM

Yes it it worse on some and not too annoying on others but that is the nature of buying an INDUSTRIAL/COMMERCIAL-grade miner. As Haggs said, on some the sinks are aligned better and don't create as much turbulence. In any case, they were made to be ran where noise is not an issue -- not at home or in an office. Point is, hope you learned to do a little research before investing over 1k$ next time?

The sound is simply the siren effect caused by high speed blades moving air over slots/fins located perpendicular and very close to the blades. Look up how a mechanical siren works for pretty pictures. Don't know if anyone ever tried putting a short spacer tube between the intake fan and the body of the miner but that *could* break the coupling between the blades/fins to reduce it. Hell a tube say 2" long would probably eliminate it all together. Can't say I've tried simply because my farm is certainly not in my home..

No need for the condescending tone. I've done plenty of research and am well aware that these are commercial grade miners not suited for the home. No one here stated otherwise, so calm the fuck down. I was simply asking out of curiosity because I've never noticed it on previous antminers.
A.Delaney

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 10:47:20 PM

My S7 whistled when the fans were at full speed. Once it started mining the rpm backed down and it stopped. When it was whistling though I put a one gallon paint can in front of the exhaust fan. Not up against it. About a foot away. The slight back pressure stopped the whistle. I ran it like that for a while with no issues.
gene1126

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:54:03 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2018, 12:09:32 AM by frodocooper

I fixed my S9 by buying a sound box on ebay and some ear plugs..lol. Right now I have one rig going but soon as we get the garage cleared out, my son and I have 3 each to set up. My one is in my bedroom.
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2018, 11:27:41 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2018, 12:09:47 AM by frodocooper

... My one is in my bedroom.

How the hell are you able to sleep in the same room with the S9?  Cheesy Even if it is in a soundproof cabinet.

dlezama

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 08:32:50 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2018, 12:10:02 AM by frodocooper

How the hell are you able to sleep in the same room with the S9?  Cheesy Even if it is in a soundproof cabinet.

Either he's deaf, or he'll be soon  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: