Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:37:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin network passed 4000 Petaflops  (Read 4569 times)
kik1977 (OP)

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:47:27 PM

But it is hard to make such comparison when ASICs are involved. You could do that comparison with GPU, by checking the FLOPS that the card made, so it was a bit like "if all the gpus were used for flops, then it would be like xyz". And it was a fail comparison because if you did the same with nvidia you would have totally different results despite both AMD and NVIDIA having similar FLOPS per cards.  But with ASIC? They can only do 1 thing.

You are absolutely right, that's why I explained the reason at the beginning of this post: I often need to explain bitcoins in a short time to people who, in  99.999999% of the cases have never heard of it and are usually not very knowledgeable about computers, too. Comparing the network and supercomputers lights their interest up and give them a vague idea of the magnitude of power I am talking about.  Whenever I found an audience of computer experts I wouldn't use this example, I agree wholeheartedly!  Wink

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:49:41 PM

TL;DR

Total FUD

/thread
Hyperbolical

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:52:01 PM

But it is hard to make such comparison when ASICs are involved. You could do that comparison with GPU, by checking the FLOPS that the card made, so it was a bit like "if all the gpus were used for flops, then it would be like xyz". And it was a fail comparison because if you did the same with nvidia you would have totally different results despite both AMD and NVIDIA having similar FLOPS per cards.  But with ASIC? They can only do 1 thing.
I agree, FLOPS isn't a very good way to measure the power of the Bitcoin network, if we wanted to measure how fast the network was growing, hashes per second would be a better option. I suspect several websites use FLOPS because they want to compare Bitcoin's growth with other networks, and there aren't really many decent ways to make these comparisions (Bitcoin doesn't have any FLOPS, and the other networks don't perform any hashes), FLOPS is chosen as it's a little better than the other methods (such as electricity consumption).
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:57:56 PM

Ok who put red bull as fuel in that car?

I think it rather is Monster energy drink. Wink

But it is Red Bull wich gives you wings!

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:58:24 PM

Well, other projects too does not use only FLOPS. Every scientific project uses both int and floating operations. Point is that measuring computing power in FLOPS is mostly a marketing things, like when it looked like the performance of cpus depended only on megahertz or how manufacturers try to advertise GPUs by their memory.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 05:28:29 PM

The only universal measure is the number of transistors. It wouldn't even be that hard to estimate that if we get the numbers from Avalon & Co.
It's easy to compare to CPUs, GPUs & so on, and it's a "fair" measure factoring in efficiency improvements.
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:33:54 PM

Comparing the bitcoin network with supercomputers is stupid,
Insted you should calculate the cost of buying 400,000 Ghash/s that the bitcoin network got right now:
Assuming that you buy ASICs it would cost you about 20 million dollars.
Lets say you want 80% of the network to be sure you can manipulate the blockchain, it would "only" cost you 80 million dollars, which is a fraction of the cost to do the same mainipulation with super computers. Such manipulation cannot be profitable so only governments would potentially be interested in investing that money to harm the network. My conclusion: the bitcoin network is safe as long as governments and banks dont feel threatened.
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:33:53 AM

Comparing the bitcoin network with supercomputers is stupid,
Insted you should calculate the cost of buying 400,000 Ghash/s that the bitcoin network got right now:
Assuming that you buy ASICs it would cost you about 20 million dollars.
Lets say you want 80% of the network to be sure you can manipulate the blockchain, it would "only" cost you 80 million dollars, which is a fraction of the cost to do the same mainipulation with super computers. Such manipulation cannot be profitable so only governments would potentially be interested in investing that money to harm the network. My conclusion: the bitcoin network is safe as long as governments and banks dont feel threatened.

Thank you for your politeness Gollum! That's very kind of you, although the parallel I did doesn't sound so stupid to me.
Try and make the example you mentioned to a group of people with an average age of 50 and computer literacy=0.. you will lose them almost immediately. It's already difficult to explain what a "network" of computer is, how many days you would need to get them through hash functions, ASICs, 51% attack, etc.?
As I said already several times, the parallel doesn't pretend to be accurate at ALL, it's just meant to give a vague but understandable idea to the average Bitcoin profane of the size and power of the Bitcoin network.
Anyway that's just my idea based of my experience of a few years of teaching about Bitcoin.

HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 01:09:54 PM

People. People. Calm down. The bitcoin hash rate is big, and that car is on steroids.  Smiley
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 02:01:28 PM

Surely the best comparison is to compare the hash rate achievable by supercomputers with the hash rate of the network? Then you are comparing like with like. In other words, to achieve the same computing (hashing) power as the Bitcoin network would require a supercomputer of X (peta)flops.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 08:43:27 PM

UPDATE: after just one week, the network has passed 5300 Petaflop (+1300 in one week).

Ok you may not like measuring the network in Petaflops...

here you are, one week ago the network was capable of an Hashrate of 380 Terahashs/s while now it's up to 420 Terahashs/s..
which means an increase of roughly 10% in a single week time..

WinVery.com

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:58:20 AM

That's impressive.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:28:28 AM

Just look at bit operations? Also a FLOP is LESS than a hash so Bitcoin is 12.4 K larger?

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:39:05 AM

Bitcoin network does exactly 0 FLOPS. Comparing int and flops is pointless.

Measuring computing power in flops is like measuring how a car is good in altitude. Pointless, it is not a plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ZklI4D5Ko
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:35:28 AM

Part of my job is training and Bitcoin, together with other payment methods, is one of the modules I teach. To explain how powerful the network is, I compare it with the most powerful supercomputer. The last time I updated that slide, 2-3 months ago, the Bitcoin network had a "calculating power" of 1700 Petaflops, while the fastest supercomputer (Tianhe-2) had (and still has) an average of..... 33 (http://www.top500.org/lists/2013/06/) !!
Tonight I checked it again (http://bitcoinwatch.com/) and found out it has grown to ... 4327 !! Yes, exactly 4327 to 33..  

Insane..

[edit] that's also a comparison I like to tell to people when I describe what bitcoins are!

With all the Asics in process that number will not look so high.  Let's see in another 2-3 months.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:51:48 AM

UPDATE: after just one week, the network has passed 5300 Petaflop (+1300 in one week).

Ok you may not like measuring the network in Petaflops...

here you are, one week ago the network was capable of an Hashrate of 380 Terahashs/s while now it's up to 420 Terahashs/s..
which means an increase of roughly 10% in a single week time..

UPDATE: after 1 month from my last update, here are the amazing figures, testifing a huge amount of mining power being delivered in the last few days:

Bitcoin network PetaFlops (even if not appropriate): 5300 to 9966

Bitcoin network Hashrate (more accurate): 420 to 784 Terahashs/s

This means that the Bitcoin network has almost doubled its calculating power just in the last 30 days, or that in the last month the same amount of calculating power has been added than in the last 4 years!

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:21:53 AM

This means that the Bitcoin network has almost doubled its calculating power just in the last 30 days
Some people are predicting this to continue for the next two years.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:55:46 AM

This means that the Bitcoin network has almost doubled its calculating power just in the last 30 days
Some people are predicting this to continue for the next two years.

60 days ago the hashrate was 4.5 times lower.
kik1977 (OP)

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:52:39 PM

Today's news:

"The bitcoin network reached another historic milestone milestone today, achieving an estimated total computational speed of 1 petahash per second (1 PH/s = 1,000,000 GH/s). The current speed is 40x faster than where we began the year, faster than 79% of the bitcoin community expected as of just seven months ago. The path to this point goes back to the genesis block itself and offers insight into the foundations of the world’s first digital currency."

Complete article here: http://thegenesisblock.com/bitcoin-network-reaches-1-petahash-per-second/

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 09:17:15 PM

This is truly an extraordinary story.

And underappreciated.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: