Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:53:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would someone continue to buy bitcoins over market value?  (Read 2879 times)
mizike29 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:29:30 AM

I have done some bitcoin sales using ebay and forums.  I have this one person that continues to buy them over market value, about 3 bux over MTGOX sell prices.  I am wondering why would someone choose that over just getting them for cheaper at MTGOX, unless someone was using it for illegal items and paid more to not have there bank account or anything linked?  OR AM I JUST BEING PARANOID?  Please any other reasons make sense?

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:33:53 AM

If you are being paid in paypal or credit cards, you should be paranoid.  If the transactions were local, and he was paying in cash, or otherwise couldn't get funds into MtGox (not easy, I can't do it either) and was otherwise unwilling to wait for the post to make it to one of the cash in the mail dealers, they'd be as legit as any others.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:43:53 AM

He's paying face value + ebay fees + paypal fees.

I dunno why.

I dunno why people do a lot of things they do.

For instance:

Someone asked me how long our footlong subs were. :facepalm:

The obvious follow up question was how big was half? :double facepalm:

Be humble!
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:54:18 AM

He's paying face value + ebay fees + paypal fees.

Because he wants to pay with a credit card, so his options are limited.  And he's not paying ebay OR paypal fees, you are.  Seller pays fees, not buyer.  Of course, you factored that into the "$3 over MtGox" and he knows it.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
mizike29 (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:08:48 AM

No because I charge him 3 bux or more per bitcoin, theres no paypal fees or ebay fees, its sent via paypal as a gift just to my email paypal, and that withdrawls to my bank for free.  So its 3 to 4 dollars profit per coin, easily and only charged the small bitcoin fee for speedy delivery.  It just makes no sense to me if you could do that, why you wouldnt trade through bitmarket.eu for paypal, or link bank to MTGOX/DWOLLA and buy all you want at lower prices.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 05:10:44 AM

Wire Transfers cost over $50. For smaller in-person transactions, it may be totally worth paying a slight premium. I don't trust Paypal or credit card companies though.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
The_JMiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:13:46 AM

He can reverse the payment up to 120 days after, I "Heard" (rumor) that if they send it as a donation or a gift it can not be reversed.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 05:19:56 AM

I read in another thread that the "gift" can be reversed by sending the payment using the TOR network, then complaining to ebay the transaction was unauthorized.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:58:14 AM

I "Heard" (rumor) that if they send it as a donation or a gift it can not be reversed.

It is thus strongly recommended to avoid using PayPal for bitcoin transactions.
- http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/Using_bitcoin-otc#Notes_on_chargebacks

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:23:13 AM

A $3 premium for accepting a high-risk payment such as PayPal isn't unreasonable.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
mizike29 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 03:44:34 PM

I guess I have just been lucky so far using paypal, Yes the gift is tough to freaking reverse, most people are not using tor and saying there account was hijacked, sending multiple gifts at different times.  Regular ebay sales, they could do that once but after that they would be banned.  Yeah maybe saving money on wire transfers or something.  Paypal has been fine and free for all my transactions using the gift method, so I am going to keep rolling with that for now lol   3 bux profit per coin is not much but it starts to add up in the 100 coin range.

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:20:54 AM

Paypal has been fine and free for all my transactions using the gift method, so I am going to keep rolling with that for now lol

as long as you are still selling, there's a disincentive for your buyer to start initiating the chargebacks.  as soon as you no longer are selling, that's when it is time to get nervous.

it's your call, though.  best of luck to you with that.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:33:38 AM

If it looks too good to be true...

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:36:55 AM

Replying to the question in the title: perhaps they are trying to manipulate the market and increase the value of the coins they hoarded ?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
mizike29 (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:46:46 PM

Yeh I think it would be tough or impossible to retract gift payments, but possible.  Thats why I thought about after this week, making sure all the money is pulled out of paypal into my bank then remove my bank information from paypal and set up a new account.  The ones on ebay can not be retracted as positive feedback has already been made on all my ebay sales for bitcoin showing coins received so those are not an issue, and I understood paying higher going through ebay, but if only through paypal, then the user might as well just go through MTGOX, unless you wanted to remain anonymous which is the feeling I am getting from this guy lol

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:07:15 PM

I have done some bitcoin sales using ebay and forums.  I have this one person that continues to buy them over market value, about 3 bux over MTGOX sell prices.  I am wondering why would someone choose that over just getting them for cheaper at MTGOX, unless someone was using it for illegal items and paid more to not have there bank account or anything linked?  OR AM I JUST BEING PARANOID?  Please any other reasons make sense?

The answer is, most people are insufferably dense. I'd peg that number to about 80%, give or take. They'll take the most impulsive, ill-reckoned, emotional and haphazard plunges into things that would make a sane person stop and stare in disbelief. And then, they'll do it again.

Just the way things are, I'm afraid...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:38:35 PM

If he's using paypal, he WILL get his money back if he initiate a dispute. A lot of paypal transactions are later reversed by the buyer, it's like a 100% no risk way of getting free money.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:42:48 PM

If he's using paypal, he WILL get his money back if he initiate a dispute. A lot of paypal transactions are later reversed by the buyer, it's like a 100% no risk way of getting free money.

This isn't true. I used to sell software over PayPal, and the buyer doesn't get the money back by default. The PayPal side reviews the case first.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:48:12 PM

I used to sell software over PayPal, and the buyer doesn't get the money back by default. The PayPal side reviews the case first.

Apples to oranges.

Selling software for PayPal payments is not against PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy. 

Selling bitcoin for PayPal payment IS against PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mizike29 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:06:58 AM

Not sure its against paypal policies, because its given as a gift, thats the way to stay the best protected I believe.  So far so good.  Ebay is another story, but ebay reviews feedback from a user then using just paypal as gift for payment has worked for me so far.  Most of my transations have been through paypal, I have to really search or go just with forum requests to use dwolla, but would be better for sure.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: