Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:58:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What can we, as a community do to prevent massive LN hubs? General LN questions  (Read 84 times)
Crypto Piece (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 43

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 05:37:58 PM

In my eyes, what gives Bitcoin value is the "decentralized medium of exchange", as i don't really believe in digital gold. For bitcoin to maintain this value in the future, we would need to do something about "hubs" or what the average user would open a payment channel through.

Am i needlessly worried about this? I know anyone can run an LN node in their home, but wouldn't be able to provide a 100% uptime service, and having BTC stuck because my friends computer is offline would really suck.

I still think the Mempool would be relatively full, even with LN, with people opening and closing channels all the time, at least if BTC would overtake traditional currency. this would still give users high TX fees, and make them use hubs with 100% uptime instead.

If I'm not misunderstanding LN, this IS going to happen, and could ruin the whole decentralized thing. Mining is still somewhat centralized, so i might be needlessly worried here, but i would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: