Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:15:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast Miner Protection Program Discussion  (Read 10910 times)
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:21:12 AM

If the chip is considered "old tech" in 90 days after delivery and the secondary market doesn't develop, do we know that HashFast has our back and will turn our chips into useful hasher?

How would a 28nm chip be "old tech" in 90 days?  See anyone releasing a chip magnitudes higher efficiency?  The price of this chip (and all other ASIC) chips is almost guaranteed to decline but that doesn't make it obsolete.  

You're tossing around 28nm as some sort of hallmark of quality, a standard by which a chip is measured.  That's ridiculous.  My cat can cut & paste some cores & have them implemented in 28nm process.  Or a team of experienced engineers could go through multiple iterations of design/prototype/redesign to come up with a slightly better chip using the same 28nm tech.  Do you suppose a good design house could beat my cat by a factor of 10?  My cat don't think so, but i worry.  He's ordered himself a dev board & pick up on the lingo.  He's pretty good at getting what he wants, so we'll see.

Well I think the burden of proof would be on the one making the outlanding claims.  Can you beat 1GH/W by a factor of 10x?  Can anyone?  No other competitor has, no other competitor even indicates that is possible.  There is nothing to indicate that a 1,000% increase in performance is possible at 28nm.  If it isn't then these chips would be "obsolete" anytime soon.  This is not to say that the price of new hardware won't continue to decline, they will .  Still given the financial rewards for designing a superior chip the fact that nobody (not just HF but all competitors) has done so would mean claiming the chip will be "obsolete" requires a little more than a empty statement.

Let's slow down a bit.  HashFast is the one making extraordinary claims -- a team of unknowns bringing an unusual 28nm ASIC to market in record time.  With no previous ASIC experience.  Nothing but the founder's love of bitcoin for credibility.  And you want *me* to substantiate my claims?  

Please stick to one claim at a time.  You claimed the chip would be obsolete due to superior tech.  Obviously it doesn't matter how superior future tech is if no chips are ever delivered.   So HF delivers a chip but the chips are worthless because some as of yet superior tech renders it obsolete in the near future.  Claiming superior (>10GH/W) tech is right around the corner is an extraordinary claim regardless of who's is making the chips.  The same "obsolete" argument would apply to every ASIC in production right now regardless of who is making it.

Wait.  I'm not arguing about the chip being delivered.  I'm pointing out that the chip is being designed by a team of unknowns, and use of 28nm fab means only that they settled on 28nm -- they could have chosen to work with 65, 110, transistors or vacuum tubes.  Their chip doesn't begin to describe the limitations of 28nm fab process -- unless you've done some heavy research & concluded that 500GH/s is, indeed, the lightspeed limit.  Is it?

Will HF deliver a chip?  Well that is an entirely different argument.  It seems kinda stupid to be debating the merits of the miner protection plan if you believe no chip will be delivered at all.  Right?

Absolutely.  I'm glad you're beginning to come around to my way of thinking.  Can't blame me for arguing in the alternative when it's so darn inviting though, can you?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1060

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:56:27 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2013, 01:58:43 AM by 2112

Nobody is going to be releasing a board 10x better.  Future (as of yet not even developed) ASICs may improve efficiency (MH/W) some but most of the low hanging fruit is gone.  You aren't getting 10x better boards even going to 14nm full custom ASICs made by Intel on a scale of millions of boards a year.  Better boards?  Sure.  10x better boards?  Hardly.    
I wouldn't be that pesimistic. There is a lot of possible avenues for improvement in a dedicated hashing circuit on the back-end analog side of the design.

When Intel design their "digital logic gate" they make certain assumptions about the probability of the circuit making a transient fault. I don't want to spend time digging numbers, they published some of that in a HotChips presentation about Itanium RAS (reliability, availability, serviceability). A CPU of the complexity of the Itanium is rated somewhere around 10-20 for the probability of undetected machine check fault.

On the other hand the experience of the FPGA & ASIC miners is that the optimum hardware error rate for miner is in the order of 10-2, that is single percentage points. And the complexity of even a fully-unrolled double SHA-256 hasher is nearly nothing compared to a modern 32/64-bit CPU.

So there is an ample room to use the curcuit design methodologies that are less digital and more analog. I don't think that any of the current vendors of the Bitcoin mining ASICs has any experience designing this type of circuits. Bitfury did a little bit of exploration in this direction by checking how low he can go with the supply voltage, but he had used pretty much standard push-pull static CMOS logic gates. There are many other ways of implementing logic gates than static push-pull (a.k.a. bang-bang). Edit: There are many other semiconductor materials suitable for the manufacture of integrated circuits: GaAs, SiGe, etc. There are many other IC design companies that are not very well known, but specialize in other areas of circuit design than the well-known CPU/GPU/DRAM/Flash in silicon e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitesse_Semiconductor .

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 10:03:48 AM

Edit: There are many other semiconductor materials suitable for the manufacture of integrated circuits: GaAs, SiGe, etc. There are many other IC design companies that are not very well known, but specialize in other areas of circuit design than the well-known CPU/GPU/DRAM/Flash in silicon e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitesse_Semiconductor .

That's true, but you can't necessarily get 28nm chips with those materials.  I remember hearing that GaAs's can be made at around 180nm.

By the way, does anyone know what the wafer costs are for standard silicon chips at various resolutions? I would think the cost to the fab would be about the same, but there's probably a lot more demand for 28nm wafers.

If 28nm wafers are more then 4x as expensive as 55nm wafers, then 55nm chips would actually be cheaper to produce, per feature. (ignoring higher speeds)

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1060

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 05:55:27 PM

That's true, but you can't necessarily get 28nm chips with those materials.  I remember hearing that GaAs's can be made at around 180nm.
So what? Bitcoin miner is an LSI circuit. Thus far people used VLSI design methodologies simply because the existing IC layout toolchains couldn't cope with thousands of copies of identical circuit and either failed to converge or converged very slowly. So they simply unrolled the rounds of SHA-2.

On the other hand alternative semiconductors offer radically lower leakage, radically lower parasitics and radically faster clocks, e.g. 250 GHz. Also it so happens that the characteristic impedance of a metal trace (as a transmission line) better matches both input and output impedances of the transistors. So instead of fighting with reflections and noise in the interconnect the circuit is using the supplied power to do an usefull work: toggle the gate/flip-flop.

If you know how do a simple experiment: simulate a paralled 32-bit adder with all the attendant carry-look-ahead logic. Then simulate a simple serial bit-wise adder at a clock speed 32 times faster. Then compare the total energy used by those two. The technology node doesn't matter so long as it is the same in both cases.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 07:16:30 AM

So what? Bitcoin miner is an LSI circuit. Thus far people used VLSI design methodologies simply because the existing IC layout toolchains couldn't cope with thousands of copies of identical circuit and either failed to converge or converged very slowly. So they simply unrolled the rounds of SHA-2.

On the other hand alternative semiconductors offer radically lower leakage, radically lower parasitics and radically faster clocks, e.g. 250 GHz. Also it so happens that the characteristic impedance of a metal trace (as a transmission line) better matches both input and output impedances of the transistors. So instead of fighting with reflections and noise in the interconnect the circuit is using the supplied power to do an usefull work: toggle the gate/flip-flop.

That's interesting. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I've actually been trying to figure out things like gate delay for various technologies and node sizes but haven't been able to find much except for formulas involving transistor load capacitance - which would be fine if I could find that information easily.  Is there anywhere you can look this stuff up?  I did find the beta and Vtn figures for CMP's BiCMOS process here, but I still don't know how to calculate the load capacitance. 

I can can come up with digital logic circuits (I designed a working CPU core in a class once. That was fun) , but I don't know much about the analog stuff underneath - we did everything with FPGAs.

I've actually been working on a low gate-depth iterative hasher circuit design - I'm curious to know how fast I could clock it for a given circuit depth.

HashFast

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 12:01:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

We have unveiled details of our Miner Protection Program here:  hashfast.com/miner-protection-program/

-John

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 12:27:40 AM

That is incredibly generous.

Glad you're limiting it to just batch 1.
DyslexicZombei

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 12:48:10 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2013, 01:23:59 AM by DyslexicZombei

As a Group Buy Coordinator of 1 co-op owned HashFast BabyJet, I am pleased with the terms and conditions of your MPP. I like the transparency and level of detail.

It should serve as a model for future ASIC rig pre-orders IMO. Anything you can add about the Motherboard specs/availability and institutional pricing for said Mommy boards? [IT Birds N Bees - "See son: "Baby computers are made when a Daddy board and a Mommy board fall in love and..."]

Could be an entrepreneurial opportunity there for someone.  Wink
HashFast

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 01:38:55 AM

As a Group Buy Coordinator of 1 co-op owned HashFast BabyJet, I am pleased with the terms and conditions of your MPP. I like the transparency and level of detail.

It should serve as a model for future ASIC rig pre-orders IMO. Anything you can add about the Motherboard specs/availability and institutional pricing for said Mommy boards? [IT Birds N Bees - "See son: "Baby computers are made when a Daddy board and a Mommy board fall in love and..."]

Thanks!

Details are going to have to wait until after tapeout. (Engineering is busy right now) 
However, we want to encourage others to design rigs for our chips and we are excited about what this community will do with them!

-John

crumbs

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 09:44:03 AM

That is incredibly generous.

Glad you're limiting it to just batch 1.

Cypherdoc, since you're being paid to say this, why not ask John to return the compliment?  Something along the lines of "Why, that's very nice of you to say so, cypherdoc, your kindness is on par with your honesty!"  That way, you can keep the exchange going & people will not notice that the only thing new in HashFast's announcement is limiting miner protection to just the first batch.
If you found my reply helpful, please donate to the BTC address conspicuously absent from my sig. 
crumbs

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 09:52:44 AM

Thanks!

Details are going to have to wait until after tapeout. (Engineering is busy right now)  
However, we want to encourage others to design rigs for our chips and we are excited about what this community will do with them!

-John

Can you post details of chip communication, pin out, PCB designs, etc to github so that we can get started on designing rigs? It's pretty clear [for anyone who can do basic math] that your MPP is going to be triggered. Those who will be receiving bare chips as part of the MPP will need the additional boards.

Thanks

Judging by the chip render on the HasFast site, the chip will be an Intel CPU with matte marble texture added & heat spreader pried off.  Hope this helps.
gkm22d

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 03:16:02 PM

You have to admit though, it is a pretty fair plan.
I was hesitant for so long because I thought the MPP would only be in USD, but it being priced in btc makes all the difference.
HashFast

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 08:45:39 PM

VERY BIG NEWS COMING TODAY!

Also, We have released more inventory for first batch due to a number of wire transfers that failed to come through, to complete the sale of the first batch of Baby Jets.

I have posted details about new order chain rules, and the release of inventory here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=262052.msg3029016#msg3029016

-John

crumbs

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:10:04 AM

VERY BIG NEWS COMING TODAY!

Also, We have released more inventory for first batch due to a number of wire transfers that failed to come through, to complete the sale of the first batch of Baby Jets.

I have posted details about new order chain rules, and the release of inventory here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=262052.msg3029016#msg3029016

-John

Dear John --

Yesterday, when you told me about VERY BIG NEWS TODAY, i promised myself not to pee until i heard from you, so's not to jinx it.
My pants are wet and cold, i feel foolish.  WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!
HashFast

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2013, 07:09:17 PM

HashFast's Golden Nonce GN ASIC successfully taped-out yesterday, Wednesday the 28th, and has been released for 28nm fabrication to a well-known, leading-edge foundry.  More details will follow in next week's joint press release.

-John

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: