Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:32:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT - Is my Ledger damaged? Big tip for successful retrieval of my BTC  (Read 335 times)
RDH40 (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 12:50:05 PM

I need URGENT help please!

I got a Ledger Nano S to store my BTC & LTC. I then gave my friend the 2 correct Segwit 'receive' addresses from my Ledger to send me them, however for some reason only my LTC balance shows up on my Ledger and not BTC. The addresses were both correct and from my Ledger as these were checked at least 5 times before transferring. I obtained each address from the correct Ledger Wallet Bitcoin App through Google Chrome (using the Segwit chains).

The BTC transaction is confirmed on both Blockchain & Blockchair - here's the address: 36ezRREzDYH3uSvADoSSpoLZrFVigQkmLp so I can't understand why my BTC are not showing in my Ledger!

The LTC is showing fine in my Ledger so I am very worried and confused as to why the BTC is not there too.

I have tried everything: uninstalled and re-installed the Ledger Apps (including Ledger Manager), re-installed Google Chrome and also done the procedure of Resetting the Data by going into SETTINGS - TOOLS - RESET APPLICATION DATA. Because of this I don't think there is a software/sync problem. I even deleted the Bitcoin App from the Ledger and reapplied it with the Ledger Manager.

One thing I have noticed now is that the Segwit BTC Receive Address does not show up in the Ledger Wallet Bitcoin App when I check via SETTINGS - TOOLS - SIGN MESSAGE, however when I check this the same way for the LTC - the LTC one does still show up. Is this the problem? I have also exported my 'xpub' and checked the addresses that way but the address did not show up after checking well over 8,000!

Finally - I have not reset or reconfigured my Ledger yet through fear of loosing everything.

Please can anyone help me?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
skorms

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:38:48 PM

I think you are looking at the wrong chain....

Click settings -> Blockchains -> Bitcoin -> now choose the right address type...

If this solves it, you can tip me here: 1Mzd6UixBcXYHo8zE5Wdv1VWPzAZfonNNA
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:33:08 PM

Do you have your 24 words (that were given to you when you first turned your Ledger on) written down?
If that is the case, then you have nothing to worry about when resetting your wallet, as all of your addresses are generated from that (you might need to create a new LTC account afterwards, though).

It's highly unlikely that you'll need to reset it, though.
Are you sure that you're using the correct BTC account (there can be multiple accounts with multiple addresses generated from them, all from a single seed)?
Does the address ever show up in your wallet right now?

Also, it's possible that you're using the old Litecoin address format (do your Litecoin addresses start with an M or a 3?).
If you have sent Bitcoin to a Litecoin SegWit address, it's still possible to recover that (although rather quirky).

RDH40 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 07:32:44 PM

Click settings -> Blockchains -> Bitcoin -> now choose the right address type...

Hi skorms - Yes I'm using the correct chain so this doesn't solve it.
RDH40 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 07:42:16 PM

Do you have your 24 words (that were given to you when you first turned your Ledger on) written down?
If that is the case, then you have nothing to worry about when resetting your wallet, as all of your addresses are generated from that (you might need to create a new LTC account afterwards, though).
Yes I do have my 24 word seed written down.

It's highly unlikely that you'll need to reset it, though.
Are you sure that you're using the correct BTC account (there can be multiple accounts with multiple addresses generated from them, all from a single seed)?
I don't really understand this, sorry?. I'm pretty sure I'm using my only one BTC account.
Does the address ever show up in your wallet right now?
No, like I mentioned before - the BTC address my Ledger gave me does not show up anymore when I check the addresses.

Also, it's possible that you're using the old Litecoin address format (do your Litecoin addresses start with an M or a 3?).
I don't think so as all the Segwit LTC addresses begin with an 'M' and Legacy ones with an 'L' - I used Segwit so my LTC address begins with M
If you have sent Bitcoin to a Litecoin SegWit address, it's still possible to recover that (although rather quirky).
Any other suggestions?
Surely someone must of had this same issue as me and managed to recovered them?
skorms

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:17:59 PM

And you are using segwit? Not legacy?
RDH40 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:56:52 PM

And you are using segwit? Not legacy?
Yes Segwit
dlorah111

Activity: 148

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:03:55 PM

maybe he sent it to the wrong address.
I beleive that LTC and BTC addresses start with 3, segwit
you can't find address 36ezRREzDYH3uSvADoSSpoLZrFVigQkmLp in your BTC addresses.
Can you find it in your LTC addresses?
maybe you transfered it to a segwit LTC address
skorms

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 11:15:49 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2018, 12:22:00 AM by skorms

you can't find address 36ezRREzDYH3uSvADoSSpoLZrFVigQkmLp in your BTC addresses.

Good call
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:22:29 PM

Do you have your 24-word seed that your Ledger made you write down?

RDH40 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:06:45 PM

Do you have your 24-word seed that your Ledger made you write down?
Hi SopaXT - Yes I do have my 24-word seed written down from my Ledger.
What do you suggest? A Ledger reset/reconfiguration? Any help and assistance would be great appreciated.
CoinXpert

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:14:13 PM

What you need to do is to uninstall the app and then reinstall it (both from computer and device). After you have done this, when you next start it will resync and the transaction should be right there.

Let me know if this helps.

P.s: If it does, 32hKLPjRUvE7XTbHsMrAKQnp71dh6TRT4R Smiley
RDH40 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:15:47 PM

Hi dlorah111 - No he did send it to the correct address. All my LTC addresses begin with an 'M' in Segwit and an 'L' in Legacy. So again, no I can't find that 36ez BTC Segwit address in the LTC dresses of either Segwit or Legacy.
I am starting to lose hope now as no-one can seem to help me with this! If you have any other suggestions or know anyone who maybe able to help it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
CoinXpert

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:24:48 PM

If you lost all hope, then you can also try to contact them: https://www.walletsos.org/... but they probably will charge you 20% of the value.
RDH40 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:29:51 PM

If you lost all hope, then you can also try to contact them: https://www.walletsos.org/... but they probably will charge you 20% of the value.
- Thats for the recommendation. Have you ever used these or know of anyone who has? Bit sceptical of scammers!
CoinXpert

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 08:59:47 PM

They look pretty legit, real name, public domain registration data, etc. I've never seen anything like that around BTC, so probably if they would steal your money then it would be just another nickname?
dlorah111

Activity: 148

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 07:50:06 AM

You could run this tool
https://iancoleman.io/bip39/
Make sure to run it offline.
It extract the addresses and priv keys from your mnemonic.
You could see if the address is in there
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:36:48 AM

Maybe it's a ledger problem?
Why not import your seed into another wallet client and see if your bit coin shows up?

Or you could run Ian Coleman's tool and tweak the derivation path to search for the address.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2018, 10:56:04 AM

I am starting to lose hope now as no-one can seem to help me with this! If you have any other suggestions or know anyone who maybe able to help it would be very much appreciated.

Your questions already got awnsered in your other thread containing the same issue.
If your btc address (which you are 10000% sure is right) is not contained in the signing-tool from the ledger wallet and
your xpub didn't regenerate the address within your first 8000 Huh addresses (trying the first 100 would be more than enough)..this address hasn't been generated by your ledger.

You may have failed copying the address.. there may be a clipping virus which replaced the btc address in your clipboard...
Any other form of malware.. quite a few options.

Yes I do have my 24-word seed written down from my Ledger.
What do you suggest? A Ledger reset/reconfiguration?

I wonder why didn't you already try to reset your ledger?
You can reset it as often as you wish without losing access to any of your coins.
But hopefully you have written down your seed correctly..

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16541

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2018, 12:18:24 PM

They look pretty legit, real name, public domain registration data, etc.
You also recommend that same unknown website in most of your posts, which means you're totally related to it!

https://walletrecoveryservices.com/ is highly trusted on this forum, but here too: don't take my word for it, do your own research before trusting anyone with your wallet!

I wonder why didn't you already try to reset your ledger?
You can reset it as often as you wish without losing access to any of your coins.
But hopefully you have written down your seed correctly..
Even though resetting it shouldn't be a problem, just to be sure (and considering the amount!) I'd recommend to import the same seed into a new Ledger if you want to test the same seed.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████