Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:23:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice On Modifications To The Bitcoin Code For New Coin System  (Read 438 times)
JuenoMT (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Founder of The Bit Bit Forum

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2013, 10:09:51 PM

Hello,

I am seeking coding advice for specific modifications to the bitcoin code to facilitate a feasibility study for a new coin system and not an alt-coin. This is only the early stages of concept development and is meant to be a companion to bitcoin. I am looking for individuals familiar with bitcoin code that are willing volunteer help by offering snippets of code that will make a few small changes to the bitcion code. If you want to understand more about the coin system I propose you can follow this link to 'Learn About The LendCoin System'.

I will ask for help on one change at a time in order to keep it simple. Here is the first question:

1. What code would you use to make a coin expire on a particular date.

(I will add more questions, one at a time. When one question is answered I will post the next one. Thanks for your Help)

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minerapia

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 10:30:27 PM

1. Making coins expire would require major rework in the code, first you would need to add expiry dates on blocks, then you need to change minting in a way that you can mint a coin which expires on date you choose, then you need to rework the wallet so you can send specific coin etc... and making coin expire on set date requires changes to atleast 5 more modules yet.

you need to have fat wallet or real talent in coding to make change like that.

donations -> btc: 1M6yf45NskQxWXknkMTzQ8o6wShQcSY4EC
                   ltc: LeTpCd6cQL26Q1vjc9kJrTjjFMrPhrpv6j
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2013, 10:39:08 PM

1. Making coins expire would require major rework in the code, first you would need to add expiry dates on blocks, then you need to change minting in a way that you can mint a coin which expires on date you choose, then you need to rework the wallet so you can send specific coin etc... and making coin expire on set date requires changes to atleast 5 more modules yet.

you need to have fat wallet or real talent in coding to make change like that.
Wouldn't one just need to set the coin generation rules so that the last block gets mined at the set date?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
minerapia

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 11:02:05 PM

I though he would want that certain coins (say, mint 40 units of coin, which expire (disappears) tomorrow) gets expired, stopping blocks generated after certain date is not that hard, tho you need to able to spend with 0 confirmations after that.

donations -> btc: 1M6yf45NskQxWXknkMTzQ8o6wShQcSY4EC
                   ltc: LeTpCd6cQL26Q1vjc9kJrTjjFMrPhrpv6j
JuenoMT (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Founder of The Bit Bit Forum

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 05:20:13 PM

Nice feedback, thanks.

I think that what I am looking for is something like a expiration that cancels or reverses a transaction if a certain event within the receivers wallet does not occur before a certain date/time. Some possible lines of thought would be that if the code is written to block any further transactions for a specific transaction of coin value after the specified date it would in essence have an expiration date. I don't know that it would take more than perhaps a code wrapper that simply reads the expiration date of a specific transaction and either clears that data for further transaction or denies the transaction forever of the specific coin value for the receiving wallet, essentially blocking its status from being change in the blockchain therefore making that data void but still part of the blockchain history. It would also be necessary to release or return the value to the original sender of the coin value.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: