Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:51:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get in to bitcoin/altcoin mining?  (Read 3911 times)
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 07:45:15 PM

It was June of 2012 and I was reading an online article about web privacy. Someone in the comment section said something about Bitcoin, so I looked that up and spent about an hour searching and reading. At that point, I thought it was interesting but I didn't do anything (and I've kicked myself several times for that).

Then, in late August, I saw other online articles about it, and being somewhat of a geek with hardware lying around, I thought I'd give it a shot. Aside from waiting from June to late August to start mining, my biggest regret was not going more gung-ho with GPUs at that time because I thought my Jalepeno would arrive "any day now."

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 01:38:57 AM

I honestly don't remember, at first I think I saw $$ in my eyes and thought it would be easy to do, this was back in 2011.

After about a week (I was mining on a netbook for crying out loud) I gave up.

Then 2 years later here I am and I wish now I know what I do now about the price.

What else could I say?
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:24:49 PM

I had heard BitCoin brielfly mentioned a couple times in the last year or two but never thought anything of it.

Then back in June of this year, while at work and checking money.cnn.com for stock prices, I saw an article on BitCoin and it blew my mind.  I spent almost the whole work day reading about BitCoin and alt coins and mining and the concept of crypto currency.  My head was spinning all day!

I have a pretty easy job in desktop support and we usually spend at least half the day doing absolutely nothing but collecting $18 an hour.  Not bad! Grin

So I started doing my research, and scanning eBay for good deals.  After some RMA headaches on parts I bought, I got it sorted out and after more headaches while transitioning from BitMinter to CGMiner and figuring out what driver versions worked and how to code the specs into the CGMiner startup script, I got things humming.

Now I mine LiteCoin at 3 Mhash/sec, with another 1.0 to 1.5 Mhash coming online in the next week.  I have about 57 LTC now and more coming!

But DAMN do I wish someone had told me to mine BTC back in early 2009 and hold it until April 2013 and sell it all at $250+ per coin!  DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!!!
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 06:29:42 PM

But DAMN do I wish someone had told me to mine BTC back in early 2009 and hold it until April 2013 and sell it all at $250+ per coin!  DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!!!

These are my exact thoughts, especially since now I REALLY need the money for my own safety purposes and I'm an idiot and gave it up.

What else could I say?
mybadomen

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:54:16 PM

Hiya Fellow Miners,

I got into Bitcoin from friends hounding me to do it since i had so much hardware anyway from being an Award winning Sponsored Custom PC Modder and working for a water cooling company and for Mod supply company which meant i had tons of GPU's , Motherboards complete builds and ones being worked on.

I keep kicking my self in the arse because like a year before i actually started my friends kept telling me about it yet others would tell me it was a scam.Finally i researched it and fell in Love. I started with Bitcoin and loved it and when ,I came into the scene when Bitcoin was around 20 to 25 dollars per coin and i sold when it reached $266. for that short time.

Now that Asics took over i tried litecoin which i found to be a waste of time and went right to work mining ALT coins and got heavier into trading as i am down to 5200khs now and realized i could still make bitcoin if i payed attention and mined Alt coins that were easy to get and worth the most and then played the market to trade for more valuable coins that jump all over the place in price. Basically buy low sell high over and over while still mining.

Anyway that's how i got into Bitcoin/Alt mining and i so wish i started when me friends told me to like a year before. Still i made in 5 Months a little over $14,500. pure profit in bitcoin and damn do i miss it. (Damn Asics)

Here are a couple of the Projects i have Done.

Here is my Venom Build:

And My Mass Effect 3 Build which is highly modded:

Any there are many more not counting the 3 i am currently building but i hope this shows how i got into Bitcoin mining as i had most of this hardware just laying around. GPU's i am sponsored by Nvidia so that don't help for mining so those i luckily had 4 7970's to start with and bought another 4 from money from Bitcoin to keep mining.

Also hope you like my Work as well as its my Passion.

Take Care ,

MybadOmen

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: