Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:53:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using cpu + gpu to mine  (Read 1158 times)
theowalpott (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:56:04 PM

Hi,

I've just set up a gpu miner using poclbm. However, when I run python poclbm.py the only device it picks up is my graphics card. I would also like to contribute my cpu to the workload too.

I notice that in the bitcoin daemon I can set generate to "true". With it false, bitcoind getinfo shows "hashespersec" of zero, but it gets a value when true. I should also mention that when poclbm is running, I am seeing a hashrate of ~22Mh/s from poclbm which seems about right for the card I'm using.. its an Nvidia GT260 (I think - don't actually trust the drivers!).

So my questions are:

Firstly, with the generate set to false, is my gpu miner via poclbm actually working - should I see a non-zero value in hashespersec?

If I set generate to true, with poclbm running, do I get any benefit from the cpu, or should I be running a seperate cpu miner via RPC?

Should poclbm be picking up my cpu as well? - its a Xeon Q9550.

Finally, would I see any benefit from using cuba rather than opencl?

Thanks for any advice Smiley

1FwGATm6eU5dSiTp2rpazV5u3qwbx1fuDn
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
okashira

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:04:25 PM

Don't use the CPU. It's just so inefficiency that it costs more in electricity then you get in BTC.
theowalpott (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:07:04 PM

Electricity isn't an issue - solar power Smiley

fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:08:28 PM

Don't use cpu and gpu mining at the same time. Your cpu will under such a load, your graphics hashrate will drop to the single digits.
theowalpott (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:10:54 PM

The strange thing is, that when I've put generate to true - my hashrate for the gpu doesn't seem affected.

I had the cpus going at around 5Mh/s and the gpu didn't change from ~22Mh/s - does this suggest something else might be wrong?

okashira

Activity: 45

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:12:03 PM

You can do both. just leave one core available. If you have a quad core with hyperthreading then use 7 cores.
tac

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:29:08 AM

You can do both. just leave one core available. If you have a quad core with hyperthreading then use 7 cores.
Is there really a difference in mhash/s if you use 7 or 4 cores on an quad core with hyperthreading?
SteveM

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:56:52 AM

If you have spare electricity generated, wouldnt you make more money selling that back to the grid rather than using CPU mining?
blackgold

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:34:18 PM

Using the CPU is currently a pointless pursuit. Due to the amount of power from a graphics card, even the most expensive  highest performing CPU can only attain a fraction of the speed of a low end GPU. Your better of leaving the CPU to do the job of running the OS.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 03:37:52 PM

The strange thing is, that when I've put generate to true - my hashrate for the gpu doesn't seem affected.

I had the cpus going at around 5Mh/s and the gpu didn't change from ~22Mh/s - does this suggest something else might be wrong?

I did this last night and the GPU also didn't seem affected. The CPU threads run in ultra low priority so that shouldn't be an issue I think....
Xtremshare

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 01:41:17 AM

don't mine with your cpu, it will take forever to get 0,00001 bitcoin, don't lose your time with cpu mining
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: