Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:43:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 334 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Analysis  (Read 941375 times)
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:30:40 AM

I wonder if things are looking this bearish, or at least slightly bearish / hidden bearish, why haven't we broken down by now? If everything's this volatile, I guess we could've gone down by now!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:47:23 AM

Is there not also hidden bullish between bottom #1 ($380) and #2 ($400), and regular bullish between #2 and #3 ($340)  Huh

Maybe they counteract each other and we will go sideways forever Cheesy
I think they already worked out

Any downside targets you are willing to share, masterluc? It's looking pretty bearish. Are we in for the full 3-year bear market? Undecided

That would make perfect sense.

What these charts are not accounting for are the flight of coins from exchanges and the massive increase of off exchange buying that is currently going on. Traders are trading fibs and EWs and other points of support and resistance. But underneath the skin of bitcoin, there's a volcano hidden that these charts cant show us.

A question - why, now that the price is so much higher than a year ago, is ask depth so very very much lower??
Yes bid depth is lower too, but that can be accounted for by the rise in price. Ask depth can't.

A large portion of that can be attributed to the hodl... Since off exchange trade doesn't influence price, I say it's irrelevant except that volumes on our charts are lower. Off-exchange trade won't magically make the price higher on-exchange, or spark the next Bull run, so who cares? The depth charts are not indicative of the amount of supply OR demand on the exchanges, so they don't matter either.

There is another reason why off-exchange trade even happens. There is of course the well known reason of zero counter party risk. However, when large buyers (ie supposed hedge funds) are buying off-exchange, it's because they want to avoid the regulation side. They don't need to verify with an exchange, therefore they cannot be reported for the amount of Fiat that they are moving around, they have no worries of capital gains since it cannot be proven how much was paid for said coins. The whole process stay a little bit more anonymous than going through an exchange. I would bet, that is equal at a minimum and possibly the biggest reason why the off-exchange trade is happening.

I disagree. The price is several times higher than it was a year ago. There is price wise less reason to HODL now. Unless you are suggesting that all bitcoin owners are conspiring.

I think the lack of sell pressure is because of an increase in off exchange buying. The miners are the ones that can put 3600 coins a day on the exchanges. Where are these coins? The miners have bills.

Also to assume that off exchange buying doesn't effect price, it certainly can effect supply. And if supply is less than demand, and demand is waiting off exchange looking for more supply, that is a combustible situation. It's exactly the situation capable of causing another bubble. "Patient" money suddenly forced to chase price.
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:57:47 AM

I am with masterluc on this one.

I see a lot of selling pressure on stamp. Someone is trying hard to keep the price above 580 $ mark, but someone is unloading big time.

I just cant see us breaking 620 any time soon.
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:41:52 PM

Is there not also hidden bullish between bottom #1 ($380) and #2 ($400), and regular bullish between #2 and #3 ($340)  Huh

Any downside targets you are willing to share, masterluc? It's looking pretty bearish. Are we in for the full 3-year bear market? Undecided

Still wondering if the multi year bear scenario is going to play out. Any thoughts on these from our charters?

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

Is there not also hidden bullish between bottom #1 ($380) and #2 ($400), and regular bullish between #2 and #3 ($340)  Huh

Still wondering if the multi year bear scenario is going to play out. Any thoughts on these from our charters?

Depends on how you define 'bear scenario'. I can see us trading between 400 and 800 for another year (though I don't consider it very likely). That's "bearish" if you are part of the to da moon NOW crowd. On the other hand, I don't see much chance for a new correction low. Going back to low 500s: quite possible. High 400s: maybe. 300s: very unlikely imo, absent of some major news driven flash crash.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:36:36 PM

Hidden bearish MACD divergence on daily chart detected

Is there not also hidden bullish between bottom #1 ($380) and #2 ($400), and regular bullish between #2 and #3 ($340)  Huh

More recent (hidden) bullish div on daily RSI, Fisher:

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 08:12:36 PM

Since off exchange trade doesn't influence price, I say it's irrelevant except that volumes on our charts are lower.

It doesn't directly influence price.

However: a off-exchange deal influences the market indirectly: maybe the seller would've sold on market instead, so the supply is withheld. Maybe the seller re-buys coins on the market because he now has less coins. Same for the buyer.

It's most clear with a miner who has to sell to cover fiat cost: hadn't he managed to sell off-exchange, he would sell on on-exchange.

Maybe it's not so clear-cut with early adopters: maybe they wouldn't have sold had they not been contacted with a good offer to sell a sizable chunk, maybe even invisibly to the tax man.

So I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle: off-exchange trades do influence the price on the exchanges indirectly, but probably not to the full extent.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 08:48:28 PM

What these charts are not accounting for are the flight of coins from exchanges and the massive increase of off exchange buying that is currently going on. Traders are trading fibs and EWs and other points of support and resistance. But underneath the skin of bitcoin, there's a volcano hidden that these charts cant show us.

A question - why, now that the price is so much higher than a year ago, is ask depth so very very much lower??
Yes bid depth is lower too, but that can be accounted for by the rise in price. Ask depth can't.

A large portion of that can be attributed to the hodl... Since off exchange trade doesn't influence price, I say it's irrelevant except that volumes on our charts are lower. Off-exchange trade won't magically make the price higher on-exchange, or spark the next Bull run, so who cares? The depth charts are not indicative of the amount of supply OR demand on the exchanges, so they don't matter either.

There is another reason why off-exchange trade even happens. There is of course the well known reason of zero counter party risk. However, when large buyers (ie supposed hedge funds) are buying off-exchange, it's because they want to avoid the regulation side. They don't need to verify with an exchange, therefore they cannot be reported for the amount of Fiat that they are moving around, they have no worries of capital gains since it cannot be proven how much was paid for said coins. The whole process stay a little bit more anonymous than going through an exchange. I would bet, that is equal at a minimum and possibly the biggest reason why the off-exchange trade is happening.

I disagree. The price is several times higher than it was a year ago. There is price wise less reason to HODL now. Unless you are suggesting that all bitcoin owners are conspiring.

I think the lack of sell pressure is because of an increase in off exchange buying. The miners are the ones that can put 3600 coins a day on the exchanges. Where are these coins? The miners have bills.

Also to assume that off exchange buying doesn't effect price, it certainly can effect supply. And if supply is less than demand, and demand is waiting off exchange looking for more supply, that is a combustible situation. It's exactly the situation capable of causing another bubble. "Patient" money suddenly forced to chase price.

Not conspiring, but you can't tell me that a huge amount of people here don't chant "HODL HODL HODL". Now, I know there is more to Bitcoin than just this forum, but I'm sure it could be considered representative of the whole.

The miners have never put every coin on the exchanges. Before the reward drop to 3600/day, there was no way we were seeing 7200/day of freshly mined coins. Plus, the volume on exchanges would easily swallow that up anyway. I don't think this is entirely the issue we're seeing. I would think it's more along the lines of the collective of the three. Half the reward, off-exchange buying and the hodl that is lessening the total supply on exchanges. This is IF there is actually less on exchanges. This is an unknown except by exchange operators. Shallow depth doesn't necessarily mean less available, because they might not be in an order at that moment.

This "patient" money won't chase because they don't use exchanges. They may offer more to the entity they are buying from, but that isn't directly (that was for molecular Smiley ) causing a price rise on the exchanges since they use the exchange price and offer a few % more. The exchange price dictates what they are willing to pay, not the other way around. I get your point that lowered supply on exchanges causes an excess demand situation, so it's the exchange participants that make the price rise and then the off-exchange price will rise. This also assumes that buyers aren't lessened by off-exchange buying.

Every coin that is sold, was also bought. There are plenty of coins waiting to be sold, but just haven't hit their selling point yet. Whether that is their personal profit zone, or their personal panic zone, they haven't hit it yet. Enough rise as well as enough drop will bring these coins out at some point.

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:24:53 PM

Not conspiring, but you can't tell me that a huge amount of people here don't chant "HODL HODL HODL". Now, I know there is more to Bitcoin than just this forum, but I'm sure it could be considered representative of the whole.

The miners have never put every coin on the exchanges. Before the reward drop to 3600/day, there was no way we were seeing 7200/day of freshly mined coins. Plus, the volume on exchanges would easily swallow that up anyway. I don't think this is entirely the issue we're seeing. I would think it's more along the lines of the collective of the three. Half the reward, off-exchange buying and the hodl that is lessening the total supply on exchanges. This is IF there is actually less on exchanges. This is an unknown except by exchange operators. Shallow depth doesn't necessarily mean less available, because they might not be in an order at that moment.

This "patient" money won't chase because they don't use exchanges. They may offer more to the entity they are buying from, but that isn't directly (that was for molecular Smiley ) causing a price rise on the exchanges since they use the exchange price and offer a few % more. The exchange price dictates what they are willing to pay, not the other way around. I get your point that lowered supply on exchanges causes an excess demand situation, so it's the exchange participants that make the price rise and then the off-exchange price will rise. This also assumes that buyers aren't lessened by off-exchange buying.

Every coin that is sold, was also bought. There are plenty of coins waiting to be sold, but just haven't hit their selling point yet. Whether that is their personal profit zone, or their personal panic zone, they haven't hit it yet. Enough rise as well as enough drop will bring these coins out at some point.

I still disagree on the "patient" money won't chase. Fortress chased in 2013. Institutional money is NOT as smart as everyone thinks its is. Some players are smart, but not most perhaps. Its kinda like VCs. A lot of VCs aren't that smart. Look how much money is getting thrown into stupid bitcoin projects and start ups. And its like that with every fad - and by fad I do not mean useless - just popular in the VC world.

Patient money will absolutely buy on exchange. They just dont want to. But if/when it becomes their only choice - they will go to Coinbase. Smiley
masterluc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:26:17 AM

Bitcoin is on one step from long dramatic selloff imho.

Global stocks are about to crash. This monopoly game is almost over and all money and property will be returned back to the box.

everbox

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:51:37 AM

Thanks for your analysis Smiley I will hold and be patient, waiting for the higher price  Grin
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:20:09 AM

Global stocks are about to crash. This monopoly game is almost over and all money and property will be returned back to the box.

And what do you suggest? Holding fiat can not be the solution Wink

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:48:02 AM

Holding real money thus.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:52:34 AM

If you see a deflationary collapse like 2008 coming where, you know, everything collapses vs. fiat currency ... Why not? Is the point of speculation to preserve and increase purchasing power or is it some sort of feel good mentality?
Ozziecoin

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 10:22:04 AM

If you see a deflationary collapse like 2008 coming where, you know, everything collapses vs. fiat currency ... Why not? Is the point of speculation to preserve and increase purchasing power or is it some sort of feel good mentality?
Or sections of society have no money and switch to using digital currencies. Would be more efficient than bartering.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:29:24 PM

What are you saying is collapsing then? The stock market, the FIAT currencies, governments? Or do you also think that Bitcoin collapses? Wouldn't bitcoin be a perfect haven against a collapsing 'traditional' economy?

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:52:03 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2014, 04:59:07 PM by hdbuck

What are you saying is collapsing then? The stock market, the FIAT currencies, governments? Or do you also think that Bitcoin collapses? Wouldn't bitcoin be a perfect haven against a collapsing 'traditional' economy?

thats what they want you to think but there is no hiding actually...  Shocked Grin
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:57:37 PM

It would be easy to agree with this but the only caveat is fiat creation by central banks and the potential for future fiat creation by central banks.  Frankly, I don't think anybody knows how this will affect markets going forward.  A deflationary collapse would have to be swift and powerful, which is definitely possible.  I believe we will see volatility increasing in fiat currencies with wild swings on both the deflationary and inflationary sides.  The aftermath will leave bitcoin and possibly a select few other chains emerge as dominant money and global finance and gold as a last resort backup storage of wealth imho.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:49:05 PM

Doom and gloom, baby. Doom and gloom.

The problem with predictions like that is they're almost impossible to falsify... "dramatic selloff" implies a real crash. A new capitulation low. Say, going back to $300, maybe even lower.

Or maybe not. Let's say price is going down another leg, hitting $500, maybe even high $400s. The prediction will "sound" right as well afterwards, or at least some will claim it does (while I would hardly call it "dramatic").

Same for the stock markets. "About to crash", or "entering a longer bear market"? The two are not the same, but a vague enough statement can afterwards be claimed to have "predicted" it.

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:18:06 PM

Doom and gloom, baby. Doom and gloom.

The problem with predictions like that is they're almost impossible to falsify... "dramatic selloff" implies a real crash. A new capitulation low. Say, going back to $300, maybe even lower.

Or maybe not. Let's say price is going down another leg, hitting $500, maybe even high $400s. The prediction will "sound" right as well afterwards, or at least some will claim it does (while I would hardly call it "dramatic").

Same for the stock markets. "About to crash", or "entering a longer bear market"? The two are not the same, but a vague enough statement can afterwards be claimed to have "predicted" it.

Good kings all around. Luc has been prescient several times before and we should give him props for that.

In addition, it doesn't take a rocker scientist to suggest stocks are way overbought. And it's entirely possible that if the stock market goes down I a big way that bitcoin could too - although there is no real historical precedent got this.

However, we also should consider, reading over Lucs most recent posts, that there is a certain amount of regional stress he is currently over involving where he resides. This may be causing him to have a less than well rounded and objective view of the current world financial markets.

It seems like doom and bloomers have been around forever and they, for several reasons, will always be.
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 334 »
  Print  

Jump to: