Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:36:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is this Crypto-Currency going to be detrimental to the community?  (Voting closed: August 23, 2013, 03:10:10 PM)
Yes - Kill The Chain Now - 7 (25.9%)
Just change the name to something else - 8 (29.6%)
No- Leave it alone to continue - 4 (14.8%)
Any publicity is good publicity, keep it going. - 1 (3.7%)
It is supposed to help victims of crime, the name fits. - 0 (0%)
I don't care. - 7 (25.9%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Crimecoin - Regardless of my coins intentions.  (Read 677 times)
CaptChadd (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:10:10 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2013, 03:25:26 PM by CaptChadd

I released this coin as a test Crypto only at the start but a few members of the community said they liked it and would like the test heading removed and for the coin to continue.

Today I had a PM from a user saying that this coin could be harmful for the community and that it should be killed, as it could be used for crime and give the community a bad name.

My logic is that what type of criminal would use Crimecoin for any kind of criminal activity? Would that not be just plain stupid or in a reverse reverse physiology way, a very clever thing to do?

Anyway, this poll is for 7 days, after that, whatever the poll reveals is what will happen with Crimecoin and it will be with immediate effect.

I always let the community choose the path of any coin I develop, fork or clone.

Many thanks

CaptChadd
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
redtwitz

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:26:41 PM

Naming a crypto-currency designed to help crime victims Crimecoin makes sense. Using a cannabis leaf for its logo? Not so much, unless you intend to distribute free marijuana to the victims...
vinne81

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:34:02 PM

Naming a crypto-currency designed to help crime victims Crimecoin makes sense. Using a cannabis leaf for its logo? Not so much, unless you intend to distribute free marijuana to the victims...

Making a coin that helps the "victims of crimes" sounds a bit unrealistic tbh. Most miners of new alt-coins (if not all) do it for the profits, they don't give a shit about crime, the victims or crime, or your desire to help them Smiley

Edit: in the end the market will decide what happens to this coin, as long as it is profitable (or a chance of that happening), they will mine it.
FreedomCoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:35:22 PM

I say unless this coin has some better features than the common alt coins then it should be killed... why would we need LTC v2 or FTC or PPC v2?

CaptChadd (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:38:02 PM

That is a good point and the logo I chose before the charity idea came about, so if anyone out there would like to create a logo for Crimecoin which the charity theme in mind, that would be great.

My design skills are very poor, was never great at Art. In fact at school, many years ago, I dropped Art as a subject and instead did double sessions of IT. Strange how things work out.

500 Crimecoin bounty for a new Crimecoin logo with charity mind for the design (Victims of crime and their families)
vinne81

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:39:37 PM

That is a good point and the logo I chose before the charity idea came about, so if anyone out there would like to create a logo for Crimecoin which the charity theme in mind, that would be great.

My design skills are very poor, was never great at Art. In fact at school, many years ago, I dropped Art as a subject and instead did double sessions of IT. Strange how things work out.

500 Crimecoin bounty for a new Crimecoin logo with charity mind for the design (Victims of crime and their families)

Like the image of a prosthetic leg?  Smiley (given to a crime victim after he got run over by a drunk driver)
gigawatt

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:46:43 PM

If it's meant to help the victims of crime, why not call it JusticeCoin or something?

BTC: 1E2egHUcLDAmcxcqZqpL18TPLx9Xj1akcV   Ψ: AWHJbwoM67Ez12SHH4pH5DnJKPoMSdvLz2   Primecoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Quarkcoin All-In-One VPS Setup Script   Metiscoin VPS Pool Mining Script
CaptChadd (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:54:46 PM

I say unless this coin has some better features than the common alt coins then it should be killed... why would we need LTC v2 or FTC or PPC v2?

It is not so much the features of the coin or any coin for that matter that define it. The features with Crimecoin are the same as LTC in many regards (Slightly Custom Clone) and what is not broken, I say don't fix.

For me it is that a coin should have a purpose other than just to trade for other coins, if we don't do this, then most alt coins will just become a slave that depends on either Bitcoin or Litecoin. A Crypto-coin should be able to function independently from all other coins. I would say that the developers of the likes of Bottlecaps are already moving toward this.

With the purpose of this coin, I would like to see it help people. I know that almost everyone on here wants profits and that can be had if this hits an exchange, all I suggested was that a very small percentage of every trade went to the Just Giving charity listing on the Crimecoin.org website. Once the charity target is met, another charity would be chosen and I would like to see the community chose the next one and possibly get involved.

There are a vast amount of the general populous out there that see Bitcoin and anything related to in a negative light and that Bitcoin enforces crime. The name Crimecoin would be there at first to grab their attention, they would think a coin has suddenly arrived that backs up their claims, however then they suddenly realise that this coin is in fact the total opposite and that the same Crypto-Community that they have been negatively portraying is actually helping people less fortunate or in difficult circumstances but at the same time still making profit.

Giving to charity does not mean losing profit. All the major corporations in the world donate to charity. All of them. And we are talking huge amount of money with them.
FreedomCoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 04:00:52 PM

It is not so much the features of the coin or any coin for that matter that define it. The features with Crimecoin are the same as LTC in many regards (Slightly Custom Clone) and what is not broken, I say don't fix.

For me it is that a coin should have a purpose other than just to trade for other coins, if we don't do this, then most alt coins will just become a slave that depends on either Bitcoin or Litecoin. A Crypto-coin should be able to function independently from all other coins. I would say that the developers of the likes of Bottlecaps are already moving toward this.

With the purpose of this coin, I would like to see it help people. I know that almost everyone on here wants profits and that can be had if this hits an exchange, all I suggested was that a very small percentage of every trade went to the Just Giving charity listing on the Crimecoin.org website. Once the charity target is met, another charity would be chosen and I would like to see the community chose the next one and possibly get involved.

There are a vast amount of the general populous out there that see Bitcoin and anything related to in a negative light and that Bitcoin enforces crime. The name Crimecoin would be there at first to grab their attention, they would think a coin has suddenly arrived that backs up their claims, however then they suddenly realise that this coin is in fact the total opposite and that the same Crypto-Community that they have been negatively portraying is actually helping people less fortunate or in difficult circumstances but at the same time still making profit.

Giving to charity does not mean losing profit. All the major corporations in the world donate to charity. All of them. And we are talking huge amount of money with them.

So basically going with the name CrimeCoin is a PR move to help show crime income can be used to fund charities? did i miss something?

CaptChadd (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 04:11:58 PM

So basically going with the name CrimeCoin is a PR move to help show crime income can be used to fund charities? did i miss something?

I little like that, it basically pure Irony really I guess.

A press story written would sound very "interesting".

"Today marks the third time Crimecoin has achieved it's charity target for the victims of crime and their families. I am sure those charities will be extremely grateful to receive their donation through Crimecoin from the Crypto-Community."
Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 04:31:39 PM

I've just voted "Just change the name to something else"
When someone hears this name, "crimecoin", the first though is that it's a coin which *supports* the crime and criminals, like selling illegal stuff on tor forums or something. I've never looked at the ANN thread until today and I thought the same. Only after stumbling on this thread I've found out that the intention was totally opposite - to help victims.

CaptChadd (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:19:28 PM

I've just voted "Just change the name to something else"
When someone hears this name, "crimecoin", the first though is that it's a coin which *supports* the crime and criminals, like selling illegal stuff on tor forums or something. I've never looked at the ANN thread until today and I thought the same. Only after stumbling on this thread I've found out that the intention was totally opposite - to help victims.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I might need to update the ANN OP a little more, to make it clearer.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 11:23:46 AM

Maybe call it VictimCoin or something.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
vinne81

View Profile