Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:15:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Alt coin will be the 3rd successful coin?  (Read 3958 times)
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:58:41 AM

Redcoin imo...has the best Dev and will be accepted currency on 5,000 pron sites shortly  Grin

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 05:23:03 PM

Primecoin with a little time. It just broke two more world records this week. Note that EFF has $150,000 and $250,000 reward for certain primes, not to mention the national attention when(not if) this happens.

are we finding new primes?
Yup. We have broke 4 world records so far I believe.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:53:19 PM

Primecoin with a little time. It just broke two more world records this week. Note that EFF has $150,000 and $250,000 reward for certain primes, not to mention the national attention when(not if) this happens.

are we finding new primes?
Yup. We have broke 4 world records so far I believe.
We have broken 20 world records but not for finding new primes.  We are finding cunningham chains and bi-twin chains.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:01:28 PM

This coin should be called Cunningham Chain Coin or Bi Twin Coin instead of Primecoin.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
mechs

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:21:32 PM

This coin should be called Cunningham Chain Coin or Bi Twin Coin instead of Primecoin.
It finds chains of prime numbers and helps advance prime number theory and cryptography.  Besides, Primecoin such a snazzy name.
bholzer

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 06:34:21 PM

It finds chains of prime numbers and helps advance prime number theory and cryptography.  Besides, Primecoin such a snazzy name.

The ridiculous part about Primecoin is that it's built to cripple GPU mining - if somebody launched a similar currency that wasn't restricted it would blow Primecoin away when it comes to advancing prime number theory. Beyond that, dedicated single-purpose machines could leapfrog anything Primecoin has uncovered in a matter of hours. The entire concept is nothing more than a gimmick, in my opinion.

The dev team went out of their way to make Primecoin less efficient.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
mechs

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:38:45 PM

It finds chains of prime numbers and helps advance prime number theory and cryptography.  Besides, Primecoin such a snazzy name.

The ridiculous part about Primecoin is that it's built to cripple GPU mining - if somebody launched a similar currency that wasn't restricted it would blow Primecoin away when it comes to advancing prime number theory. Beyond that, dedicated single-purpose machines could leapfrog anything Primecoin has uncovered in a matter of hours. The entire concept is nothing more than a gimmick, in my opinion.

It was not built to be GPU inefficient.  It just turns out their plenty of prime # code available already optimized for CPUs which they used to make the reference miner.  Making the GPU miner from scratch is difficult.  There is one now actually made by mtrlt but it is inefficient and requires much more optimization.
Why do haters gotta hate?
frobley

Activity: 708

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:41:37 PM

Ferretcoin
ashaw596

Activity: 141

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:38:39 PM

PPCoin of course.
First one with a proof stake and proof of work.
Currently the third (or fourth) highest market cap.
bholzer

Activity: 490

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 09:49:57 PM

It was not built to be GPU inefficient.  It just turns out their plenty of prime # code available already optimized for CPUs which they used to make the reference miner.  Making the GPU miner from scratch is difficult.  There is one now actually made by mtrlt but it is inefficient and requires much more optimization.

I'm not hating -- as a currency, I don't have any issues with it. I'm just saying that, in its current form, Primecoin is a pretty inefficient way to discover prime numbers...so while the "prime" aspect of it makes it different...it's really more of a gimmick than anything. I'm not suggesting nobody mine it...but it's not really the dual-purpose knockout punch many would like people to believe.

I welcome anything different...but I think the hype has gone a bit far on Primecoin. In my opinion, it's being billed as something more than it truly is.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
bcp19

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:52:57 PM

I'm not hating -- as a currency, I don't have any issues with it. I'm just saying that, in its current form, Primecoin is a pretty inefficient way to discover prime numbers...so while the "prime" aspect of it makes it different...it's really more of a gimmick than anything. I'm not suggesting nobody mine it...but it's not really the dual-purpose knockout punch many would like people to believe.

I welcome anything different...but I think the hype has gone a bit far on Primecoin. In my opinion, it's being billed as something more than it truly is.
I think Sunny pulled a rabbit out of a hat with this one myself.  One of the key things about his approach is that it is something has has not been worked on much and therefore there is no pre-completed work that someone could figure out how to insert into the program.  I wondered early on if his work could be used on other distributed computing projects, but the problem with a lot of them is that so much work has been done that it's hard to establish proof of work.  It'd be too easy for someone to just copy already completed work and submit it for instant credit.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
bahamapascal

Activity: 695

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:14:45 PM

CGB (cryptogenicbulion)...though it will move to 2end successful coin;)
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:19:48 PM

It's not very hard to tell, just go to BTC-e and click on each coin pair to see which has the best daily trade volume, do that for a week or two and you have your answer.

If you want to pick the winner in the next tier, then do the same procedure on Cryptsy.

mechs

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 01:17:15 AM

I'll try one last rebuttle.
Primecoin miner was never meant to find new prime #s (it theoretically could but highly improbable).  It is meant to find cunningham chains and bi-twin chains.  Why are these useful?
1. It helps to advance prime number theory
2. Has uses in cryptography
*3. Much like Bitcoin has led to the creation of ASICs for SHA256 and more efficient ways to solve SHA256, if primecoin were to become popular, then effort would be put into making hardware optimized for find prime numbers and chains of prime numbers. Creating more efficient circuit designs for numbers research has scientific merit far beyond just finding chains of prime numbers.  Primecoin provides a motivation for such research.

There may very well be more useful PoWs, just noone has come up with one which meets the dual criteria of being difficult to compute but easy to verify which is required for a bitcoin-like coin.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 01:30:39 AM

It's not very hard to tell, just go to BTC-e and click on each coin pair to see which has the best daily trade volume, do that for a week or two and you have your answer.

If you want to pick the winner in the next tier, then do the same procedure on Cryptsy.
This is a good method to find out the current flavor of the week, but it is not a good method for finding long term cryptocoin investment opportunities. Use your own brain and do your own research on all these ALT cryptocoins, otherwise you are nothing more than sheeple.

To the OP: I can guarantee you every single person that posted ITT has a special interest in the coin they suggested. Do not ask to be spoon fed investment advice, otherwise you will be fed whatever suits the adviser best. This does not mean that their advice is right or wrong, but you need to take it with a grain of salt.
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:05:18 AM

I think finding primes requires a cpu.
CPUs are meant for more complex calculations, whereas gpus are meant for parallel simple calculations, like pixels or bruteforce.
Otherwise a computer would only have a gpu.
mechs

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:18:13 AM

I think finding primes requires a cpu.
CPUs are meant for more complex calculations, whereas gpus are meant for parallel simple calculations, like pixels or bruteforce.
Otherwise a computer would only have a gpu.
I think you might be right.  I think the ultimate primecoin miner may be a parallella.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone/posts/547314
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 09:50:06 AM

PXC is a candidate.Trolls tried hard to kill it. But failed badly. Tongue
Grin
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile