Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:31:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC, an alternative to Paypal?  (Read 1911 times)
PandaMiner (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 03:55:59 AM

Hi.

I came to BTC as an alternative to paypal. 

I provide online services and get paid via paypal.  My account got locked up, and I need a new way for customers to pay me.  The question is, how can my customers and I use BTC for this purpose?

I want to tell them something like: "Go here, buy some bitcoins with your currency; then send me the coins." 

And most importantly, I want to be able to take my coins, and convert them back into my own currency. (USD)

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 03:59:53 AM

Well, there is CoinPal: Buy bitcoins with Paypal.

For a more complete list of currency exchanges see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Currency_exchange

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 04:01:13 AM

Hi.

I provide online services and get paid via paypal.  My account got locked up, and I need a new way for customers to pay me.  The question is, how can my customers and I use BTC for this purpose?

I want to tell them something like: "Go here, buy some bitcoins with your currency; then send me the coins."  

www.mtgox.com

And most importantly, I want to be able to take my coins, and convert them back into my own currency. (USD)

Yes.

T.I.M.T.O.W.T.D.I

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
PandaMiner (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 04:46:50 AM

Thanks.  Lots to read.

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 10:07:02 AM

Well, there is CoinPal: Buy bitcoins with Paypal.

For a more complete list of currency exchanges see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Currency_exchange

I would be REALLY wary of purchasing bitcoins via PayPal. They are quite trigger happy with their "banned account" reasonings. Seems to me that something like "Bitcoin" might be grounds for seizing your money. In their eyes at least.
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

CoinPal's API can help automate this part for your customers.  It lets you fill in the CoinPal order form with your Bitcoin address and the amount of their order.  The customer only needs to provide their PayPal email address.  Since the coins go directly to you, your customer doesn't have to run Bitcoin software, if they don't want to.

You mentioned that your PayPal account was frozen, so this part might not help, but CoinCard's API lets you automatically convert Bitcoins into a PayPal payment.

Full disclosure: I operate both services mentioned above
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 04:37:45 PM

I would be REALLY wary of purchasing bitcoins via PayPal. They are quite trigger happy with their "banned account" reasonings. Seems to me that something like "Bitcoin" might be grounds for seizing your money. In their eyes at least.

I've spoken to PayPal at length about CoinPal and they're fine with me selling Bitcoins this way.  They understand what Bitcoins are and the fraud risks associated.  Of course, this does not imply an endorsement from PayPal.  They may change their mind in the future, but they could do that with any service that accepts PayPal.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:08:46 PM

And how do you handle unjust chargebacks? Does PayPal sort it out in your favor or do you blacklist the scammer’s IP/PayPal-Mail and just swallow the loss?
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 06:55:53 PM

And how do you handle unjust chargebacks? Does PayPal sort it out in your favor or do you blacklist the scammer’s IP/PayPal-Mail and just swallow the loss?

I try to prevent chargebacks from happening, but when they do happen, I swallow the loss as a cost of doing business.  That's about the only choice since PayPal makes no assurances about payments for digital goods sales.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 09:56:29 PM

If the reward is worth the effort, here's one method where credit cards are accepted for Liberty Reserve, which  can then be used to buy Bitcoins:
  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4635.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Anonymous

March 20, 2011, 03:21:38 AM

We need to kick paypal and liberty reserve out of the middleman position.
see here for a solution-
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4683.new#new
gudrun

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:22:24 PM

Hi.

I provide online services and get paid via paypal.  My account got locked up, and I need a new way for customers to pay me.  The question is, how can my customers and I use BTC for this purpose?

Thanks.
I think is quite hard.
If I possessed bitcons then you can execute trades. If I don't use it, I think quite hard for you to perform transactions with me
GirlBitcoin

Activity: 210

Dronair Best Operating For Cargo Robotics Industry

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:58:51 PM

Hi.

Thanks.
I think is quite hard.
If I possessed bitcons then you can execute trades. If I don't use it, I think quite hard for you to perform transactions with me
Bitcoin will be able to replace paypal but this takes a lot of time and bitcoin changes. Paypal is still the largest online payment method in the world and it will be difficult if there is any kind of paypal pass. Bitcoin wants to be more commonly used, it needs to improve faster and the transaction fee must fall to the lowest possible level so people can use it without having to think about the fees they have to pay.
kang_kung

Activity: 111

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:18:20 PM

Hi.

Thanks.
Do you need USD in what? Paypal and it will just the same. where you could easily get your account lock from the limit.
bbcolex

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

Pepemo.vip

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:51:23 PM

As much as I like bitcoin , Paypal is way more simple if you have your account verified. The only downside with bitcoin , transaction getting slow , Fees getting higher , Price volatility frightened people. Maybe ethereum could be an alternative to paypal or other faster alts , but for Bitcoin meh  Huh nah! BITCOIN is getting more like a LUXURY than a crypto CURRENCY!  

Bolt Brownie

Activity: 700
Merit: 350

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 03:38:52 PM

What kind of service are you running? If it involves small payments, then even if you use a service that uses segwit you will still have to deal with some decent fees because of the congestion on the bitcoin network right now. So although you could try to provide that service, and that already exists, since you had steam, microsoft and other merchants enabling bitcoin payments, you shouldn't only depend on that payment method, because bitcoin right now, can't really handle well small transactions because they end up being to costly. You should try offering that service with other coins as well, like litecoin or example, and when BTC solves it's scalability problems, then you can turn to bitcoin again.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 05:48:52 PM

Hi.

Thanks.

If you say that paypal is an alternative to you for receiving payment for your services, I will agree but both bitcoin and paypal are structurally very different. Paypal is strictly centralized and works with conjugation of the local government. Paypal follows different rule for different countries. Like in India, users are not allowed to keep any dollars in their paypal profile more than a day. If they keep it, then paypal will automatically send that amount to your connected bank account. Where as the rule for bitcoin is same for any country in the world. Where ever you go, bitcoin network will support you the similar way.

However, to answer your main question, you can suggest your customers about Coinbase and localbitcoins. These two websites are most convenient when buying bitcoins. Coinbase has some country restrictions, so it is better to check their faq sections for the allowed countries, but localbitcoins platform is open for all. DO a little research and you will know these platforms better. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: