Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:35:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone living in Japan should go knock on Gox' door to see what's up  (Read 1115 times)
ardana123 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 11:01:15 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't their headquarters' address known? So why doesn't anyone go knock on their door and demand some answers? Take some pictures of their workspace and crew while you're at it and post them in this thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SGExodus

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:17:30 PM

Perhaps, it's because there is only little delay with Japan domestic withdrawal, and they are all busying making arbitrage profit than to go knock on any door Smiley
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:34:46 PM

Maybe the CEO is in Haway with a new face, new name and a lot of money Smiley

ardana123 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:45:23 PM

Perhaps, it's because there is only little delay with Japan domestic withdrawal, and they are all busying making arbitrage profit than to go knock on any door Smiley

Oh come on, if that were the case the price difference would have already been reduced to zero, which isn't the case.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:44:40 PM

You mean, like Ver? The one on my avatar?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
alex0909

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:44:46 PM

All your cash are belong to us!
bkava

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:53:28 PM

Oh come on, if that were the case the price difference would have already been reduced to zero, which isn't the case.

True. Current Ask price of MtGox JPY  is ~10590 = $108.12.  So still 10% arbitrage between MtGoxJPY and Bitstamp USD.

Assuming 0.55% currency exchange cost  this loop still very profitable
    USD  -->  Bitstamp BTC  --> MtGox BTC --> JPY  ---> USD

But only one person has complained of a delay on JPY transfers despite many requests for comments from people using JPY withdrawal method.
Even then his complaint was that it took 1 week to arrive, not the 4-12 weeks for Sepa/Wire
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179586.msg2939409#msg2939409

If you can get your money within a week doesn't make much sense that there is such a price gap. I don't get it.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 05:16:34 PM

Someone really should go to Mt. Gox HQ if only to see if they're still there. Here's where they say they are:

MT. GOX KK, a Japanese corporation, and
TIBANNE KK, a Japanese corporation
Round-Cross Shibuya 5F, 2-11-6,
Shibuya, Shibuya-ku,
Tokyo, Japan 150-0002

Tel:   81-3-4520-6200
Fax:   81-3-4520-6209
(Source: Tokyo Chamber of Commerce)

Actual location: Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Shibuya, 2丁目11−6, 5th floor.
Google maps link - About 300 meters east of Shibuya Station.

Take pictures. Thank you.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 10:30:35 AM

True. Current Ask price of MtGox JPY  is ~10590 = $108.12.  So still 10% arbitrage between MtGoxJPY and Bitstamp USD.

Assuming 0.55% currency exchange cost  this loop still very profitable
    USD  -->  Bitstamp BTC  --> MtGox BTC --> JPY  ---> USD

But only one person has complained of a delay on JPY transfers despite many requests for comments from people using JPY withdrawal method.
Even then his complaint was that it took 1 week to arrive, not the 4-12 weeks for Sepa/Wire
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179586.msg2939409#msg2939409

If you can get your money within a week doesn't make much sense that there is such a price gap. I don't get it.

The transfer actualy only took one day, I had mispelt my name in Japanese.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
SGExodus

Activity: 232

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:53:45 AM

Because the Bitcoin community are full of armchair investors that have very low risk appetite.  Their idea of investment is something that gives them 10000% return.  10% return over 2-3 months is not worth their effort Smiley

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 12:13:17 PM

Hm, how much hassle is it to open an account in a Japanese bank if you live elsewhere (e.g. Europe)? Because this would be quite a nice arbitrage opportunity. Just bouncing a modest sum (less than $10k, so that the international banking aml alarms are less likely to trigger) between Bitstamp and Gox could earn quite a bit of pocket money with minimal effort. Even with all the fees involved, one round trip could easily earn 5% it the spread is 10%.

Actually, someone trying this wouldn't even need to have their own account in a Japanese bank. Just split the profits with someone living in Japan. Needs to be a trusted person though.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 12:19:33 PM

Actually, someone trying this wouldn't even need to have their own account in a Japanese bank. Just split the profits with someone living in Japan. Needs to be a trusted person though.

Finding a trusted person is the real problem actually - have heard of at least one Chinese investor doing this who has made quite a lot (enough to buy a modest apartment in a major city in China was mentioned).

Also opening up a bank account as a foreigner may not be so simple (I recently found that Hong Kong simply would not let me do so despite having sufficient ID as I wasn't working there nor had family there so I was told they could not open a bank account for me - and got the same story at 4 different banks before I gave up trying).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 12:24:42 PM

All i can tell you guys is that MtGox has been stringing along a friend of mine for 1 month because of a missing deposit. My friend paid €60 to track the money and got a confirmation(and code) from Bank Zachodny(WBK) that the money hit the MtGox account on July 17th, 1 day fater it was sent. MtGox was made aware of the fact their bank told my friend that the money is indeed in their account, and so far still no money, and €60 spent on MtGox's incompetence.
ardana123 (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 01:35:52 PM

Hm, how much hassle is it to open an account in a Japanese bank if you live elsewhere (e.g. Europe)? Because this would be quite a nice arbitrage opportunity. Just bouncing a modest sum (less than $10k, so that the international banking aml alarms are less likely to trigger) between Bitstamp and Gox could earn quite a bit of pocket money with minimal effort. Even with all the fees involved, one round trip could easily earn 5% it the spread is 10%.

forget about it, unless you live there or know a trusted friend there (which is unlikely as a european or american)
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 02:10:13 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't their headquarters' address known? So why doesn't anyone go knock on their door and demand some answers? Take some pictures of their workspace and crew while you're at it and post them in this thread.

Probably because this person wouldn't be invited inside.

OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1059

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 02:53:59 PM

forget about it, unless you live there or know a trusted friend there (which is unlikely as a european or american)

But the yen volume is catching up steadily. Is already close behind the euro now. But of course, still far away from the USD volume. But I think I'll track these values. Not that our beautiful Mt. Box still gets a hole. That would not be good for the price. Then we would have a bear market again.
joesmoe2012

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 02:56:29 PM

Finding a trusted person is the real problem actually - have heard of at least one Chinese investor doing this who has made quite a lot (enough to buy a modest apartment in a major city in China was mentioned).

Also opening up a bank account as a foreigner may not be so simple (I recently found that Hong Kong simply would not let me do so despite having sufficient ID as I wasn't working there nor had family there so I was told they could not open a bank account for me - and got the same story at 4 different banks before I gave up trying).

IMHO japanese people are some of the most trustable in the world.

But what do i know, i only went to school there for business.

joesmoe2012

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 02:57:16 PM

also remember waht the big issue at hand here is. Japan is very strict when it comes to tax and financial regulation. The japanese 'friend' would be putting him/herself heavily at risk.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: