Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:21:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The best and easiest way for merchants to accepts bitcoins in local shops.  (Read 1030 times)
bitpower (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 03:31:50 PM

I would like to introduce bitcoin payments to some local shops in my town for bitcoin promotion, but I don't really have too much free time for research.

Do you know which way would be the best and easiest to set up for merchants/customers so they can accept and pay in bitcoins in local shops? I would like to convice them to start using it but I don't want them to get scared away by the idea of it. Should they use some kind of software or a specific website? Ideally with lowest or no fees.

For helpful answers bitcoin tips are waiting Smiley

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 05:44:19 PM

The easiest way is to have people use their smartphones and scan a QR code, and then send the payment that way. Of course, you have to either trust that they're actually sending it and let them purchase their good or service instantly, or have them sit around for 30 minutes while the transaction gets confirmations.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 05:46:51 PM

BitPay, so convenient.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YZ-pqo0cLcE?autoplay=1&rel=0

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
J603

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 05:51:27 PM

What is the benefit of bitpay over simply telling the customers to send it to your personal address?
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:04:33 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2013, 06:33:52 PM by escrow.ms

Bitpay is good for online shops not localshop's.

Best solution for double spend is to  accept payment from a wallet app that works offchain.

or accept redeemable vouchers like inputs.io provides now.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 06:11:14 PM

or coinbase, it's probably the easiest way to convert btc to fiat for a merchant

The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 06:19:18 PM

https://bips.me/

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:21:58 PM

or coinbase, it's probably the easiest way to convert btc to fiat for a merchant

He wants to accept coins first and as J603 said there are some problems like "double spend".

The easiest way is to have people use their smartphones and scan a QR code, and then send the payment that way. Of course, you have to either trust that they're actually sending it and let them purchase their good or service instantly, or have them sit around for 30 minutes while the transaction gets confirmations.

However if "double spend" is not a big problem for you then there are many ways.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 06:22:52 PM

What is the benefit of bitpay over simply telling the customers to send it to your personal address?

For retailers they like to be able to just put an app on their employee's phones and let them type in the dollar price of the purchase.

It is as simple as that. No need to coordinate addresses for each employee or have conversions for bitcoins or a tracking system.

BitPay will also allow the business owners to get all of their money in dollars. And it has a good tracking system of the payments.

For a merchant that does not care about bitcoin but wants to accept them, BitPay is ideal. All they need is an app. The setup is easy, and they get their money in their bank account just like with the credit cards that they are used to.

Their fee (1% I believe) is small compared to the convenience.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
/dev/null

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:31:32 PM

For retailers they like to be able to just put an app on their employee's phones and let them type in the dollar price of the purchase.

It is as simple as that. No need to coordinate addresses for each employee or have conversions for bitcoins or a tracking system.

BitPay will also allow the business owners to get all of their money in dollars. And it has a good tracking system of the payments.

For a merchant that does not care about bitcoin but wants to accept them, BitPay is ideal. All they need is an app. The setup is easy, and they get their money in their bank account just like with the credit cards that they are used to.

LOCAL SHOPS =/= Company
Employee Huh

J603

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 07:00:57 PM

I still think that the easiest way is to just hand out bills/receipts with a QR code for the shop's bitcoin address. Customers scan it and send the payment. Done. No fees other than the typical dust fees.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 07:19:44 PM

LOCAL SHOPS =/= Company
Employee Huh

Many retailers have some kid running the register. Or for restaurants you have waiters/waitresses.

I set up my wife's clothing store through BitPay and everything is very convenient. The YouTube video I posted shows how the transaction takes like 30 seconds and they said that they had to slow down for the video.

J603

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

LOCAL SHOPS =/= Company
Employee Huh

Many retailers have some kid running the register. Or for restaurants you have waiters/waitresses.

I set up my wife's clothing store through BitPay and everything is very convenient. The YouTube video I posted shows how the transaction takes like 30 seconds and they said that they had to slow down for the video.

What's the name/location of her store? That's a big leap if something necessary like clothes is being sold for BTC.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 07:30:54 PM

Something that could work, if the local shop has a web browser available to the cashier, is to use LocalBitcoins as a payment processor.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 07:32:29 PM

What's the name/location of her store? That's a big leap if something necessary like clothes is being sold for BTC.

Unfortunately we closed up the shop last year.

domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:05:04 AM

I think the way some shops in Germany (Room77 in Berlin, Niederlassung in Munich) do it is to either just print out a single QR code and have customers send to it or to install a simple wallet software on some phone or tablet.  The Schildbach wallet for Android comes to mind (which also allows to enter a requested amount in local currency and have it converted to Bitcoins automatically), but it has the disadvantage that employees or someone who steals the device can spend the coins.  I think other apps are available that provide read-only access.

This is of course only possible if the shop owners are fine with getting bitcoins instead of local currency (both owners of the shops mentioned above are into bitcoins themselves and don't just do it as a favour for some customers).  It also requires some trust that the customers won't double spend or even just pretend to send the coins (for a printed code when no wallet software is running to watch for incoming transactions) - but I don't think this is a big problem for day-to-day purchases (as opposed to some people who insist on their claim that "totally secure zero-confirmation transactions" are necessary), because someone who intends so defraud a shop could just as easily walk away with some goods stuffed into his/her pockets without paying instead of going through the hassles of staging a double-spend.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: