Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:08:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra TerraMiner Prices Released (updated)  (Read 10230 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 04:19:50 PM

Sustainable mining in the long run, but in the short run a KnC delivered in Oct will likely pay itself off before Cointerra even ships.
Agreed on this point.  However even if KNC does ship in Oct if someone hasn't already ordered and did so today they would be lucky to get theirs by November. Even a small delay and it could easily be December.

So for those who ALREADY have a KNC order well there is absolutely no reason to cancel and buy one from Cointerra.  Those who don't already have a unit?  Neither look particularly attractive.
Now if KNC drops the price for future sales and gives a firm commitment for Nov delivery well that might be different.  It will be interesting to see how the different players try to maneuver around.  Only so much capacity can be sold before we hit break even on electrical cost so there is some strategy on how companies will handle sales.  You can keep your prices high but if another player sells units then the difficulty is going up regardless and your units just become even less attractive.  On the other hand since only so much capacity can be sold you don't want to cut margins to the bone.

Once we get to the the point where electricity is the main cost, then prices ill have to be much lower. Like $1/Gh or less for people to buy them.

Not sure on this point.  If units were shipping in volume with no/short backorders I would agree but I wonder how much hashing power has already been preordered?
500TH/s? 1 PH/s? 5 PH/s?

In other words lets pretend that every single unit people have paid for is delivered tomorrow.  What will the network hashrate be?  Ironically long delays to delivery are good for those selling ASICs and bad for those buying them because the committed but not yet deployed hashing power WILL eventually raise difficulty but it isn't visible in the current difficulty.  That makes units look cheaper than they already are.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JohnyBigs

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 04:48:19 PM

Omg unofficial prices from a website, that are higher than anybody elses even though cointerra said they will be lower than everybody. What trolls you guys are. Wait for them to release their pricing and stfu, then you can freely troll.
cryptojoe

Activity: 353

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:57:10 PM

Cointerra announced prices for one of their units. 
http://thegenesisblock.com/cointerra-announces-2ths-asic-bitcoin-miner-for-15750/#!prettyPhoto

2 Th.s for $15,750  (~$8 per Gh) with delivery sometime in december. 

Um, according to the bitcoin mining dashboard, if you plug in on January 1st, you will NOT get a positive return on your investment.  So even their promise to deliver sometime "in december" is not a very good offer.

What if they're delayed on top of that?  They promise additional hashpower if they delay. However, a positive return plugging in as early as jan 1 would require 50% additional hashpower.  And a delay would make it impossible to plug in that early with the additional hashpower, and it is a fantasy to think they would offer that much compensation for the inconvenience of the delay.  Hmm.  I applaud cointerra on the technological advances in design, but it doesn't look a like a wise investment for us at those prices.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:01:18 PM

And a delay would make it impossible to plug in that early with the additional hashpower,

They will ship you two devices, and you plug in two place in your house, and then, house on fire, enjoy the warm Merry Christmas  Grin Grin Grin Grin

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:01:44 PM

Omg unofficial prices from a website, that are higher than anybody elses even though cointerra said they will be lower than everybody. What trolls you guys are. Wait for them to release their pricing and stfu, then you can freely troll.

The prices aren't higher on a $/GH basis than anyone else.  It is tied with BFL @ $8/GH.  It is the lowest cost miner announced to date but with December (or later) delivery it remains to be seen if it is discounted enough.
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:03:14 PM

Well this was the last ASIC company that I was excited about seeing as how they are located a few hours South of me.

If those prices are correct, then I will likely give up on ever wanting to own an ASIC.

Just going to hold onto my Bitcoins and mine with my sexy 1MH/s alt-coin milkcrate Tongue
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:04:35 PM

What if they're delayed on top of that?  They promise additional hashpower if they delay. However, a positive return plugging in as early as jan 1 would require 50% additional hashpower.  And a delay would make it impossible to plug in that early with the additional hashpower, and it is a fantasy to think they would offer that much compensation for the inconvenience of the delay.  Hmm.  I applaud cointerra on the technological advances in design, but it doesn't look a like a wise investment for us at those prices.

Don't take this as "you should buy it today" but ASIC companies offering "free" hashing power as I don't think $8/GH in Dec/Jan is viable and eventually bitfury & KNC will be looked to add later dated sales too.  The Q1-2014 price wars have just started.

Still compensation in the form of additional hashpower really isn't that unbelievable.  The economics of ASICs mean the seller has a huge amount of NRE (not just the masks but the design and testing) and very low per unit cost (~$1 per GH/s).  They (or any other ASIC manufacturer) have (excluding NRE) 90%+ gross margins so while they would prefer not to give you more hashing power for "free" the markup on the base hashing power is more than enough to cover it. On the other hand with that huge fixed upfront cost if they don't sell enough units they (and any other ASIC manufacturer) will never be profitable.

JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:37:19 PM

These guys need to hire a marketing person, release dumbass deadlines and not meet them. Have prices go up on a third party website, and not even come on here and explain anything. PR failing 101
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:38:32 PM

What if they're delayed on top of that?  They promise additional hashpower if they delay. However, a positive return plugging in as early as jan 1 would require 50% additional hashpower.  And a delay would make it impossible to plug in that early with the additional hashpower, and it is a fantasy to think they would offer that much compensation for the inconvenience of the delay.  Hmm.  I applaud cointerra on the technological advances in design, but it doesn't look a like a wise investment for us at those prices.

Don't take this as "you should buy it today" but ASIC companies offering "free" hashing power as I don't think $8/GH in Dec/Jan is viable and eventually bitfury & KNC will be looked to add later dated sales too.  The Q1-2014 price wars have just started.

Everyone should just go buy LABCOIN shares instead.   Grin

These 28nm companies are all way overpriced, and require massive upfront orders.  At least KnC is selling the single-chip mercury unit for a somewhat sane price.

JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:42:23 PM

These 28nm companies are all way overpriced, and require massive upfront orders.  At least KnC is selling the single-chip mercury unit for a somewhat sane price.

I never understood how these shares worked? So how much GH can you buy with $15,000 worth of shares? And do they pay out 100%?
JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:46:01 PM

those prices are clearly wrong, nobody is going to invest $15-$17K for only a 4K profit lol. The article offers no source or anything, there is nothing on their website about those retarded prices.

What's dumb though is it's been past 48hrs unless they meant within the next 2 days which we are in the second day, but to not be monitoring your thread, and when there is a very negative article and not post anything about it is retarded and just turns me off about investing any money with them.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:48:24 PM

I never understood how these shares worked? So how much GH can you buy with $15,000 worth of shares? And do they pay out 100%?
I will sell when and if it goes x10, just a small amount invested for speculation.Dividends is a plus but I do not go in much details...
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:48:28 PM

those prices are clearly wrong, nobody is going to invest $15-$17K for only a 4K profit lol.
Yes they will since clearly people are investing into things that will never reach roi at all. Some profit better than negative profit

ok
JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:54:21 PM

those prices are clearly wrong, nobody is going to invest $15-$17K for only a 4K profit lol.
Yes they will since clearly people are investing into things that will never reach roi at all. Some profit better than negative profit

No clearly retarded prices. Why would you invest 17k into Cointerra when you can invest it into KNC and profit like 50K+
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:54:50 PM

No one cares for your pre-order nonsense, come back when you have something in hand and ready to ship.
+1

There should be a new subsection in this forum: "Pre-Orders & other vaporware"
All posts not directly related to existing hardware should go straight to that subsection.  This would cleanup the Custom Hardware section.

It is not "Custom Hardware Pre-orders"  or "Custom Dream/What I want for Christmas Hardware" section but "Custom Hardware".
It implies an existing hardware.

Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:55:32 PM

Don't take this as "you should buy it today" but ASIC companies offering "free" hashing power as I don't think $8/GH in Dec/Jan is viable and eventually bitfury & KNC will be looked to add later dated sales too.  The Q1-2014 price wars have just started.

It's just like buying shares in IBM or Ford.  They pay out dividends based on how much they mine, plus what they make from selling bulk chips and mining equipment on hand (they're not going to do pre-orders, except for bulk chips).  You can see what ASICMINER has been paying out in dividends here.  Since they have a long track record their price/dividend ratio is actually pretty high.  It would take about 3.5 years to earn back their share price.

(I say IBM or Ford since a lot of companies on the stock market actually don't pay dividends, and are reinvesting all their money back into growth, like Apple, Amazon, Google, etc.)

It's obviously risky to invest in these unregulated virtual stock exchanges, but at least you can change your mind and sell your shares whenever you feel like it.  People who invested in ASICminer early on certainly did well.

I think it's a much better idea for actually investing then doing pre-orders. With a pre-order the company makes a profit right away, and you may never get one. Real investors get equity, so if the company makes a lot of money, the investor does as well.

JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 07:57:36 PM

It's just like buying shares in IBM or Ford.  They pay out dividends based on how much they mine, plus what they make from selling bulk chips and mining equipment on hand (they're not going to do pre-orders, except for bulk chips).  You can see what ASICMINER has been paying out in dividends here.  Since they have a long track record their price/dividend ratio is actually pretty high.  It would take about 3.5 years to earn back their share price.

(I say IBM or Ford since a lot of companies on the stock market actually don't pay dividends, and are reinvesting all their money back into growth, like Apple, Amazon, Google, etc.)

It's obviously risky to invest in these unregulated virtual stock exchanges, but at least you can change your mind and sell your shares whenever you feel like it.  People who invested in ASICminer early on certainly did well.

I know how stocks, shares, and dividends work, I just don't understand these companies completely complicated prices. Divide 20 million shares into total hashrate, then calculate dividends, ect.
JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 08:00:55 PM

these guys were on 2 hours ago and didn't post anything about this whole mess lol
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 08:02:42 PM

i think they still arent sure what prices to declare.
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 08:06:02 PM

i think xcrowd is waiting on cointerra, and cointerra is waiting on xcrowd. its all bullshit.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: