Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:50:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MemoryCoin | Request For Grant Proposals | Explorer, Pools, Clients  (Read 3137 times)
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 09:15:12 AM

MemoryCoin got off to a bumpy start a few hours ago, but now it is up and running. Already it's getting quite difficult to find a block - they only come every 6 minutes and there's quite a lot of competition for them.

There's another way to get MemoryCoin which is much easier at the moment - that's to win a grant.

Every 20 blocks (2 hours), 5 grants are awarded to the 5 most voted for grant proposals.

To win a grant, you need to do three things -

1. Post a Grant Proposal - (What can you do to help MemoryCoin?)
2. Generate a Grant Award Address (See main post on how to do this with VanityGen)
3. Post your Grant Proposal and solicit votes from MemoryCoin owners.

I've got quite a bit of voting power, and here's the kind of proposals I'd like to vote for

1. MemoryCoin Block Explorer
2. MemoryCoin Pools
3. Mac Client
4. Linux Client
5. Linux Compile Tidy
6. Multi-threaded client
7. Client with better memory allocation
8. MemoryCoin Website
9. Anything else that helps MemoryCoin

If any of these sound doable to you, post your proposal, think about how much you want to get paid for it, generate a grant award address, and let's get started!

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 01:48:21 PM

i want some of your drugs.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
21stcenturymoney

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 11:36:41 PM

1. MemoryCoin Block Explorer

I will do a block viewer.

MVTEoEomFfe7WuSEepMLsorgYzCQGBVw1z

4. Linux Client
5. Linux Compile Tidy

I would need to do a bsd or linux build for the above anyway. What is it these entail?  I feel I am
missing something here.
Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 12:07:29 AM

So, now that you guys insta-mined enough, you fixed it so everyone else can mine too? How considerate of you. This coin is shady, at best Roll Eyes

YukonCoinelius

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:35:44 AM

MemoryCoin had an extremely fair launch, despite technical challenges - announced, roughly on time, all clients functional and anyone could join from minute 0 (with a little work). Technical challenges are not unreasonable with such major innovative features, namely: a brand new distributed voting system, plus automatic stakeholder controlled grants, plus cpu/memory-constrained scrypt-jane hashing. 

Yes the voting is hard to use and maybe noone fully understands it yet.  What a surprise the *brand new innovative experimental features* don't have a "1-Button For Dummies" GUI yet.

As for claiming "insta-mine"??   No. There's currently only 15000 coins minted out of 1 million+ scheduled, which is barely 3x the scheduled rate for the first 3 days, and they are widely distributed across many cpu-only miners.  Hardly an insta-mine.  A minimal level of vestment was necessary to get the voting system boot-strapped and tested.

The grant credits FreeTrade is talking about come from *FUTURE MINTED* coins, using the voting system to direct the built-in grant system -- and once there are enough proposals, the coinholders themselves will be voting on the grants.   (FreeTrade, I think you must emphasize this point, else people might assume the grants are like all those clonecoin premine stashes. They don't realize yet there's a totally new technology here.  Also it would be good to get a list of grant proposals in front of the users for voting soonest - and fixed bids are probably better than too many open-ended ones(?)).

(I'm not affiliated with this coin, just giving a fair commentary.)
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:47:30 AM

Thanks for your offer. MemoryCoin Foundation is currently offering a 100 Coin bounty for this - that might be a better fit.

If you want to apply for a grant for it, you're missing a few things -
i) you might say how much you want for it,
ii) your grant proposal address shouldn't be open ended for a fixed size project - so if you wanted 200 MEG, you'd have an adress like MVTE2E2...
iii) You might say how quickly you can have the block viewer running, and the minimum time you guarantee to keep it up for

4. Linux Client
5. Linux Compile Tidy

I would need to do a bsd or linux build for the above anyway. What is it these entail?  I feel I am
missing something here.

It's kind of up to you to decide what you'd like to offer. If MEG holders like your offer, they'll vote for your proposal and your grant will be awarded.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:53:58 AM

MemoryCoin had an extremely fair launch, despite technical challenges - announced, roughly on time, all clients functional and anyone could join from minute 0 (with a little work). Technical challenges are not unreasonable with such major innovative features, namely: a brand new distributed voting system, plus automatic stakeholder controlled grants, plus cpu/memory-constrained scrypt-jane hashing. 

Yes the voting is hard to use and maybe noone fully understands it yet.  What a surprise the *brand new innovative experimental features* don't have a "1-Button For Dummies" GUI yet.

As for claiming "insta-mine"??   No. There's currently only 15000 coins minted out of 1 million+ scheduled, which is barely 3x the scheduled rate for the first 3 days, and they are widely distributed across many cpu-only miners.  Hardly an insta-mine.  A minimal level of vestment was necessary to get the voting system boot-strapped and tested.

The grant credits FreeTrade is talking about come from *FUTURE MINTED* coins, using the voting system to direct the built-in grant system -- and once there are enough proposals, the coinholders themselves will be voting on the grants.   (FreeTrade, I think you must emphasize this point, else people might assume the grants are like all those clonecoin premine stashes. They don't realize yet there's a totally new technology here.

Yes, thanks for your commentary. I think you might one of the only people who fully understands the voting system so far. It takes a bit of reading. I'm trying to coax people into learning about it by getting them to engage with different aspects of it.

Also it would be good to get a list of grant proposals in front of the users for voting soonest - and fixed bids are probably better than too many open-ended ones(?)).

Yes, in the long run, open ended grants are for foundations, charities, things with an ongoing purpose.

For fixed scope projects, I'd expect people to use the fixed-bid addresses. There's a learning curve there though.

FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 03:56:04 AM

Also it would be good to get a list of grant proposals in front of the users for voting soonest

Would you consider making a grant proposal to write a dummies guide to how the grant system works?

21stcenturymoney

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 12:58:34 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 01:09:45 PM by 21stcenturymoney

Thanks for your offer. MemoryCoin Foundation is currently offering a 100 Coin bounty for this - that might be a better fit.

I disagree with you.   That is a lousy fit.   Setting up the block viewer, is mainly a hosting cost.  This is an ongoing expense, and the one time bounty of 100 coins at a time when the coins have no known exchange rate it a much worse fit.

If you want to apply for a grant for it, you're missing a few things -
i) you might say how much you want for it,
ii) your grant proposal address shouldn't be open ended for a fixed size project - so if you wanted 200 MEG, you'd have an adress like MVTE2E2...
iii) You might say how quickly you can have the block viewer running, and the minimum time you guarantee to keep it up for

Again, I disagree.  It is hard at this time to give any say as to what one wants, as the market is not established, so it is equally fair to see what people will offer.    This is an open ended project.  To maintain it, without it being a loss, I would eventually require that the amount of coins had a value of around $10 a month ongoing to cover the costs once of hosting if the block chain grows a bit etc.

Speed depends on how messed up the source code is, based on the other issues posted.   If it had no issues it could be up in 10 minutes after some interest was shown.  If the code is a mess, who knows.

4. Linux Client
5. Linux Compile Tidy

I would need to do a bsd or linux build for the above anyway. What is it these entail?  I feel I am
missing something here.
It's kind of up to you to decide what you'd like to offer. If MEG holders like your offer, they'll vote for your proposal and your grant will be awarded.

Was more wondering what work they would entail, why does the linux comile need a tidy?  On most coins this is not an issue, usually the windows and mac ports need the work to get them to build.

FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 01:14:05 PM

I disagree with you.   That is a lousy fit.   Setting up the block viewer, is mainly a hosting cost.  

I guess we have a different perspective on that - because I don't know about setting up block viewers, I see that as the main cost.

This is an ongoing expense, and the one time bounty of 100 coins at a time when the coins have no known exchange rate it a
much worse fit.

Agreed - there is a lot of uncertainty there - maybe you could name a bounty size to cover setup and one months hosting? MemoryCoin Foundation might be able to cover it immediately.

Was more wondering what work they would entail, why does the linux comile need a tidy?  On most coins this is not an issue, usually the windows and mac ports need the work to get them to build.

I'm a windows developer, and I haven't paid much attention to the linux or mac builds. I think about half a dozen people have compiled it for Linux though, so it shouldn't be in too bad a state.

FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 01:23:05 PM

Alternatively, if you'd like to come on board as a developer, generally improving the code and infrastructure - I think that would be an ongoing type of grant and I'd be happy to vote for your grant award address and ask others to do so on that basis.

taturii

Activity: 96

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 04:29:36 PM

I would like to propose a new address for a grant. I think it's quite unfair that people having huge balances take advantadge of the voting system to feed their own private grant addresses which, at the same time, gives them more voting power. So I think it's necessary to post new public goals to be supported by the community to avoid the misuse of the voting system. I propose to create a giveaway grant

MVTEoEot8ZGKWmDi8pZS6tJMHR5ba9MnNN

All the funds received at this address (if funded) will be used to send 10 MEG to anyone posting his/her memorycoin address in a 'Memorycoin giveaway' thread that I will create. In this thread there will be posted all the transactions' id so anyone can check that all the coins received are used for this purpose. I think that spreading the coin will be more beneficial for the coin than someone getting more and more 'rich'.
taturii

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 07:35:00 PM

Good initiative.....Horrible execution....This will NEVER work as designed.  You should run it past FreeTrade first.  What stops an existing user from putting their RECEIVE address in the thread using a sock puppet account?  As an example, I put one in the thread...Can you tell which one it is?   {I did this an example, not greed.}

I like the "idea" of a grant for new users, but I have no idea how you identify them from existing users gaming the system.  This is the reason the Ripple giveaway was horribly carried out.

Do you really think that someone will create a puppet account to get 10 MEG???...I never said that the giveaways were addressed to new users of the coin. I'm aware that it cannot be checked if an address corresponds to a new user or someone having 10k MEG, but at least the coins of the grant (if obtained) would be spread over different users of the forum ( I doubt that anyones creates puppet accounts to get 10 MEG). What do you think is better: a lot of users getting some coins spreading the use of the coin or a large coinholder getting a block reward every two hours for doing nothing?
taturii

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:47:22 AM

I should have thought more before posting.  This is an issue with all giveaways.  Sorry.  I wish you well.  {Removed my posting in giveaway thead.}

The 10K account will fall in time.  The coin is still young and these irregularities will (hopefully) self-correct with more coinage.  They WILL lose their grants in time.  It's impossible to maintain a grant by yourself.

In the long run, I see the voting shares going to :

1) Memorycoin Foundation = MVTEoEoXmYzFydRfg5uNJRewt9tZ329fAN
2) 21 Century for forum\explorer = MVTEoEomFfe7WuSEepMLsorgYzCQGBVw1z
3) Exchange(s) that hold MEG in Hold\Cold Wallet = TBD

This really only leaves 2 voting block available for the rest.

I agree with you, these irregularities should fade with time. However, in the early stages of a coin when an important amount of the coin is issued I think it's very harmful for the reputation of the coin if someone take advantadge of this flaw.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: