Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:32:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it okay to receive a merit from a friend or give some to a friend?  (Read 395 times)
jahmes123 (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:04:34 PM

If your friend post a high quality post then you should give merit, but if the post have a low quality then you shouldn't give the merit. Just follow the rules.

A user can give sMerit to another person "At their own will" - However mutual consensus is that merit-able content should be merited.

Also why would someone abuse their sMerits? Obviously for their own gains or if someone has paid them to do it. Get the idea? We have number of altaccount rings here spamming and getting paid - they will try to rank up by mutual sharing of merits. DT is keeping an eye on this and suspicious activity will be marked with red.

If someone is biased and giving merits to few specific people - then its obviously going to come under their watch.

@OP
I would definitely want to know who this "friend" of yours is who makes such quality posts.
If ever I would have to submit his name or his account name I would do it to the DT.
I just want to keep my account and my friends account to be safe that's why I am asking this question.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:05:43 PM

Hi I am really wondering what would happen to both of our account if you would send some merit to help a friend to rank up their account.
Me and my friends are really worried to give some merits because some might say that they are abusing the merit system,
And also others might think that they are all connected or it is just a alternative accounts to boost their merit.
Whether we like it or not, we must definitely give these merits out, friends or not. But we just have to give it to deserving posts. That's all. Aren't friends posters too. What saddens me however is when I get to see 20merits and above given to a single post. And I ask myself what the heck that was for. This is just the same way people are emotionally sending merits to the several posts of an account that was last action almost 8 years ago. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3

Yah, I know Satoshi is an amazing personality and that he also created Bitcoin and established this forum but is that a tangible reason to flood his inactive account with merits? This is another cheat to the Merit system

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 08:34:31 PM

This is why we are scared in giving each other some merit ,

You are scared of getting caught giving merit to your friends....

Just hand out merit when you see a quality post, and don't worry about it.

Only worry (as you should) if you are cheating the system.

Vod, I think people are more scared of navigating a policy expectation that isn't consistent and is likely to end up being applied subjectively by whatever high-ranking member or moderator is in the position of dealing out the greatest penalty on any given day.

To the OP, the general consensus I'm seeing among the highest-ranking members is that the only thing that can get you into trouble with merit is actually trying to spend your merit. A post you find valuable, but others do not could lead you to be singled out as a "CHEATER!"

If you spend slowly you're less likely to be the target for the "merit abuse witch hunting" that is likely to grow over the coming months.

And if you see a high-ranking member say "you should be able to spend merit however you want", remember that it only applies to them.
akamit

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:48:12 PM

When you say your ‘friend’ I highly suspect that you mean your alt which is totally against the rules & your trust will be painted red if you’re found to be doing that.

Play by the rules & you’ll get Smerit for your own high quality, constructive posting.

There are no shortcuts here brother.

Why would you suspect someone, if that someone says "my friend".

It may also possible that the "someone" is really talking about his/her friend here but "we" the community have given negative trust due to "we" suspected as "alts".

I'm not talking anything against you or your concerns. But I'm more interested to know the perspectives of the community regarding the mentioned issue and how they will handle this matter.

jahmes123 (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 06:33:46 AM

This is why we are scared in giving each other some merit ,

You are scared of getting caught giving merit to your friends....

Just hand out merit when you see a quality post, and don't worry about it.

Only worry (as you should) if you are cheating the system.

Vod, I think people are more scared of navigating a policy expectation that isn't consistent and is likely to end up being applied subjectively by whatever high-ranking member or moderator is in the position of dealing out the greatest penalty on any given day.

To the OP, the general consensus I'm seeing among the highest-ranking members is that the only thing that can get you into trouble with merit is actually trying to spend your merit. A post you find valuable, but others do not could lead you to be singled out as a "CHEATER!"

If you spend slowly you're less likely to be the target for the "merit abuse witch hunting" that is likely to grow over the coming months.

And if you see a high-ranking member say "you should be able to spend merit however you want", remember that it only applies to them.
That is why starting right now if I really want to help him I would suggest that he should create a quality post and I would watch all of his last post and try to find if it is a quality post or not,
And my question is what is your idea of a quality post?Because for me the quality post that I am thinking is something that are meaningful or helping others to understand something or answering their question .

When you say your ‘friend’ I highly suspect that you mean your alt which is totally against the rules & your trust will be painted red if you’re found to be doing that.

Play by the rules & you’ll get Smerit for your own high quality, constructive posting.

There are no shortcuts here brother.

Why would you suspect someone, if that someone says "my friend".

It may also possible that the "someone" is really talking about his/her friend here but "we" the community have given negative trust due to "we" suspected as "alts".

I'm not talking anything against you or your concerns. But I'm more interested to know the perspectives of the community regarding the mentioned issue and how they will handle this matter.

Thank you @akamit I could prove to the DT that he is truly my friend and I could show some proof that the accounts are not farm or alt accounts .
If ever I would be questioned about it.
And thanks for all of your answers to my question.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2018, 06:51:15 AM

1-bitcointalk is a forum to help people's acknowledgment about the crypto word. so if you send smerits only to your friends this forum will not useful for all members.

The majority of people starting these posts don't care about the crypto world - they only care how they can make money, so with this new system, they only care how they rank up the fastest.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Happydd

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 03:02:58 PM

If your friend has made a quality post, you may give him a merit point. But giving him merits for useless posts is suspicious.
I have the same opinion with you. If someone's article is of good quality, useful and appropriate, then I do not regret a compliment. Bringing them sincerely is also to encourage them to have better posts. Give praise sincerely, in time the praise is meaningful.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1221

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 03:17:55 PM

If your friend has made a quality post, you may give him a merit point. But giving him merits for useless posts is suspicious.
I have the same opinion with you. If someone's article is of good quality, useful and appropriate, then I do not regret a compliment. Bringing them sincerely is also to encourage them to have better posts. Give praise sincerely, in time the praise is meaningful.

Let me make this clear. "Merit" is not similar to "Like" on facebook or that found in other forum softwares.

According to theymos' guidelines for forum Merit system, merit should be given to those posts which are of substantial quality and not simply posts that one agrees to.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Happydd

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 05:57:03 PM

rolerVX

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 06:53:08 PM

In my opinion merit is imposed not for a friend, but rather a quality post regardless not your friend or your friend. But make sure it is a quality post to avoid unfair giving and accusations of abuse use.
ajmapalo22

Activity: 266
Merit: 122

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 03:35:10 PM

Everyone is free to use and give merits to a post that they think deserves to have it, so if you find your friend post quality to be good enough to receive merit, then why not give some just be careful in giving it to them, you have to make sure they deserve it and not because you will get something in return or just giving such merit because you want your friend to rank up.
Boys27

Activity: 329
Merit: 100

The Exchange for EOS Community

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 08:13:57 PM

it's better not to do such a thing, you better give merit to a good post only, do not look at it adan friends or not, if you melekakukan such things may harm you in the future

|   EOS Exchange   |▌       The Exchange for the EOS Community!       |   EOSex   |
                          ICO: 15th October to 20th November  |  Free EXP Tokens: Join Bounty!                         
Whitepaper                 ANN Thread                 Telegram                 Twitter                 Mobile
di.ako.toh

Activity: 154
Merit: 121

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:46:28 PM
Merited by chineseprancing (3), madwica (2), shalnark (2)

I think its fine to give and take some merit from a friend, because it is our choice to whom were going to give our merits especially if they deserve it most. Giving to friends is not a usual type of trading our merits to a friend so we can have it also in return. But if we just keep in mind that, she really had a quality post, he should have a merit as a reward no matter he is a friend of mine or not

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: