Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:40:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it prevent you from participating in ICO if u'r US citizen?  (Read 141 times)
Jekbolt (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:06:59 PM

The question is for US citizens) _ do you participate in an ICO even if it's said "CAN'T PARTICIPATE: USA"?

For example, you are requested to confirm that you are not a US citizen by clicking checking box on ICO's investor cabinet and even enter your  House/Apartment, Street, post code (if any)/city and country.

Actually any U.S. citizen if he/she wants to participate can just click [YES] confirm and fill the address fields with fake information and even use VPN to avoid ICO website IP checkout.  Do you (US citizens) make all these fake fillings in order to participate?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jimbo2000

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:12:11 PM

The question is for US citizens) _ do you participate in an ICO even if it's said "CAN'T PARTICIPATE: USA"?

For example, you are requested to confirm that you are not a US citizen by clicking checking box on ICO's investor cabinet and even enter your  House/Apartment, Street, post code (if any)/city and country.

Actually any U.S. citizen if he/she wants to participate can just click [YES] confirm and fill the address fields with fake information and even use VPN to avoid ICO website IP checkout.  Do you (US citizens) make all these fake fillings in order to participate?

I'm sure people do this, but I don't think many will be forthright in admitting it. It's also not so easy as that in the majority of ICOs, most now have KYC and you'll have to provide identification which is registered to a non US address. I'm sure for most US citizens they don't take the risk because it could land them in a lot of hot water with the authorities.

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
hiwainmoto

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

Unibright Token Launch - 10th April 2018

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:14:28 PM

Some of my friends are still joining ICOs which is prohibited by the SEC,thats risky but they have found a way to join these KYC ICOs,they have bought some fake IDs from the dark web,which are from the non-US citizen countries but some of these ICOs would ask for a selfie that is why thats so risky to do.

kramchers

Activity: 854
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:17:33 PM

But what you gonna do once the ICO is done and the team is requiring KYC "know your customer" which in this process you need to send them via email or on their website your national ID (government issue EX: passport). you will be having a big problem and your investment token will remain on their dashboard as you can't get a refund from your cheating.
yinyangwinwang

Activity: 196
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:17:49 PM

For example, you are requested to confirm that you are not a US citizen by clicking checking box on ICO's investor cabinet and even enter your  House/Apartment, Street, post code (if any)/city and country.

Actually any U.S. citizen if he/she wants to participate can just click [YES] confirm and fill the address fields with fake information and even use VPN to avoid ICO website IP checkout.  Do you (US citizens) make all these fake fillings in order to participate?

Some of my friends are still joining ICOs which is prohibited by the SEC,thats risky but they have found a way to join these KYC ICOs,they have bought some fake IDs from the dark web,which are from the non-US citizen countries but some of these ICOs would ask for a selfie that is why thats so risky to do.
And how do these friends think it will end? Surely they haven't thought it all the way through because there is no way that that could end up being good. They will either owe some form of back taxes, or shit go to jail for doing illegal things deemed illegal by the SEC.

DIGITIZECOIN.COM | 25% Bonus for Pre-Sale | Main-Sale April 22 2018
Made In Australia
▬▬▬ ■  WebsiteWhitepaper ■  ANN threadJoin Telegram ▬▬▬
AlienWithBTC

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:19:32 PM

That’s a good analysis. Most, if not all, ICOs have it in their terms that US citizens can not participate in their ICO. Therefor they need to wait for the coins to hit the exchanges to trade them
Jekbolt (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:25:16 PM

Do you think there are ICOs (outside US) which are not prohibited by SEC?  I thought that all ICOs that out of US are prohibited. But I might be wrong and this ban relates only to investment tokens, but not UTILITY tokens. 
lutcor

Activity: 448
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 05:34:56 PM

Quite not a pleasant situation, of course, with these restrictions, but I think that they on the contrary improve the situation, because such a situation makes it possible to legally deal with crypto-currencies
Jekbolt (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 09:11:42 PM

And when that ICO need KYC you cant fill it cause you dont have any IDs beside the US ID. If it say US citizen cant participate just dont, or ask someone from another country to buy it for you, your family or friend in other town still can do that. Or another option is to wait until that token or coin hit to an exchanges, at first day the price must be drop and you can buy some from it.

Why KYC is required by so many ICOs?  Is it because it's needed to flow tokens on reliable crypto exchanges in future?
matthewoz101

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 09:16:00 PM

I've tried doing that but then I fail the KYC when I have to send verification of residency. Some ICO's are allowing US residents because they're compliant with the SEC of the United States. It sucks to miss out on some of the ICOs, but it should get better for US residents in the future.
Jekbolt (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:54:54 PM

[/quote]

Some ICO's are allowing US residents because they're compliant with the SEC of the United States.
[/quote]

Are those " compliant with the SEC " ICO's were from US on not?
brownies10

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:36:47 AM

if need USA KYC you can contact me and pm your contact.
mammothine

Activity: 117
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:44:46 AM

Technically if you purchase non-regulated security as a non-US citizen, yes, you are breaking the law. Whatever ICO you invest in must fail the Howey test and otherwise collect kyc for you to be 100% safe. But yeah, there is still a lot of grey area that even the promoting firms can’t figure out yet.

On the other hand this is crypto, and if you are a true believer you participate in projects that reject much of the governmental hogwash or you find your way to a VPN.
Newboybb

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:37:12 AM

Most of the time, they will ask you to submit KYC verification, so even if you can fake that information, but you can't use other people's KYC information to verify, so that's why americans can not participate in the reason.

ico41

Activity: 82
Merit: 13

Nothing in the cry of cicadas suggests ...

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 05:48:29 AM

I can understand the frustration - I have felt it myself, especially when reading a really compelling whitepaper, doing a bunch of analysis and then deciding that the project is cool and legit, then joining the Telegram / Discord channel and then finding out that U.S. Citizens are not permitted to invest.  Yes, you can use VPN and all kinds of clever tactics, but I really doubt it's worth it.

Instead, do the research and you will see that in fact many project release their tokens, they are accepted by an exchange, and then, during the time it takes the team to execute their plan, interest in the token subsides, and the price actually goes down from the ICO.  This happens a lot.  Then it just sort of sits there until some announcement, or event causes it to come to live.  Look at the many of the charts on Coinmarketcap and you will see evidence of this. 

Also, when a coin is starting out and just getting listed on some exchanges, there is very often an arbitrage in price between exchanges.  An example is ATLANT, which about a week ago was training below it's ICO release price, but on two exchanges with very slim volume and very different prices.  On IDEX, it was trading about twice the price against ETH as it was on OKEX against Bitcoin (measured in USD). 

So I wouldn't fret too much about "missing out" on an ICO when a little patience and monitoring might lead to more profit than if you did manage to participate in the ICO.

ksiazek7

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:55:28 AM

Unless its a KYC one they don't bother to look at website IP.  Or they haven't so far. 

A T O M Z  ǁ  Cryptocurrency Investing Done Easy
▔▔▔▔▔▔  ❨❨   Token Sale Starts Soon   ❩❩  ▔▔▔▔▔▔
TradeCrypto

Activity: 237

Presale is live!

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 05:55:53 AM

I found recent Ico theabyss which is using daico raised by vistlik butter in for this ico US regulated do usa citizen can participate . Once the DAICO successfully accepted by community there should be lots of chances for US citizens to participate in ICO.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: