Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:38:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted Wallet Backup for Bitcoin (50BTC)  (Read 5047 times)
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 10:20:51 PM

Allow bitcoin to export wallet file with encryption.

Question: Can we use the built-in Bitcoin public-private key infrastructure.  And use a Elliptic curve encryption?

One off NP-Hard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnyh

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 11:14:48 AM

It would be an internal thing inside bitcoind?

Executable via bitcoind JSON call (so also - from command line)?

No need to make GUI button for it?

How the password should be proivded? On cmd line is very bad - unless its a pubkey (opengpg)?

nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2011, 07:00:44 AM

Code:
gpg --encrypt --default-recipient-self $PATHTOBITCOINWALLET

i can haz 50btc nao? Cheesy

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2011, 08:37:59 AM

Question: Can we use the built-in Bitcoin public-private key infrastructure.  And use a Elliptic curve encryption?

"Elliptic curve encryption" don't allows encrypt anything. It is may be used only for signs.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
carp

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 03:58:46 PM

It would be an internal thing inside bitcoind?

Executable via bitcoind JSON call (so also - from command line)?

No need to make GUI button for it?

How the password should be proivded? On cmd line is very bad - unless its a pubkey (opengpg)?

Actually, I really like the idea of a GUI button. Encryption is possible with other tools (encrypted filesystems are nice, and easy to manage with freeotfe (windows) or cryptkeeper (linux desktops and similar). While it would be nice to have a one stop shop, or a second layer of encryption, its not necissary.

Frankly, I think this is a far more useful tool than tends to get credit. I don't have a lot of bitcoins, but, enough that I would be quite unhappy to lose it all (especially given their current sell prices). I don't really need immediate access to ALL of my coins.

Now, I can easily split out my coins, by firing up a new instance, with its own wallet, making an account, and transfering my funds there, and saving that wallet.... but... that is a lot of workaround for want of an export function. I would much rather, make a new account, transfer funds, then export that account (or the old one).

Of course, adding encryption directly would have its benefits too. Instead of just allowing a whole wallet to be "locked" why not allow it on a per account basis. So, Account "spending" is not password protected and has a few coins in it.... account "savings", encrypted right in the wallet. I can access it almost as easily, but, not quite. Maybe encrypt the account numbers with it, so someone who gets ahold of it can't even determine what accounts are there (so as to try and figure out which one to target).

All in all, thats a minor problem, I am much more interested in the ability to export part of a wallet and save it.

Also.... password on the command line is "bad" but... not THAT bad. Especially in these days of individual desktop machines. I would hope that anyone working on a shared/public machine knows the risks, and knows why to avoid password on the command line. So its a good reason not to rely on it or use it in many circumstances but, its not really a good reason not to have it available.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 05:39:54 PM

How is this bountied project coming along?

I see there is now an export wallet function, but does it encrypt?

Or does adding the encrytian remain to be done still?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 06:18:18 PM

Question: Can we use the built-in Bitcoin public-private key infrastructure.  And use a Elliptic curve encryption?

"Elliptic curve encryption" don't allows encrypt anything. It is may be used only for signs.

care to elaborate?
ecc can be used with every algorithm of which security depends on discrete logarithm being difficult. This can be either for encryption or signing.

@OP: why not use symmetric encryption instead? Public-private key cryptography doesn't make any sense in this situation.
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 08:10:25 PM

@OP: why not use symmetric encryption instead? Public-private key cryptography doesn't make any sense in this situation.

Public-private key cryptography allows Bitcoin to generate new address without requesting the passphase.

It is also useful in for 'backups' when the backup op doesn't have access to the private keys.  This is useful if there is multiple wallets.

One off NP-Hard.
vuce

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 08:19:31 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2011, 08:30:23 PM by vuce

Public-private key cryptography allows Bitcoin to generate new address without requesting the passphase.

It is also useful in for 'backups' when the backup op doesn't have access to the private keys.  This is useful if there is multiple wallets.
I still don't quite get the idea (why this would be so much better when backup-ing ones wallet)
edit: ah, I think I got it. You wouldn't have to keep your private key on the same computer to create new backups, is that it? That does make sense.
Why ecc specifically? I assume speed/key length are not of great concern here? Not that it's a problem, I'm just interested why Smiley
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Live and Let Live

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 04:02:23 AM

edit: ah, I think I got it. You wouldn't have to keep your private key on the same computer to create new backups, is that it? That does make sense.
Why ecc specifically? I assume speed/key length are not of great concern here? Not that it's a problem, I'm just interested why Smiley

Yep, Key length is useful to be short, because many people might want to keep a printout of their private key in their fire safe.

So they can backup from anywhere know the only copy of the key is in a secure location.

One off NP-Hard.
vuce

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 06:37:51 AM

Yep, Key length is useful to be short, because many people might want to keep a printout of their private key in their fire safe.

So they can backup from anywhere know the only copy of the key is in a secure location.
fair enough, all valid points Smiley I can try and come up with something that can be put in cron, but I really don't have the time for anything super fancy right now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: