Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:20:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D3 Sound Cancellation Project: Early Results  (Read 129 times)
theycallmebruce? (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 04:09:45 AM

I recorded a D3 for 45 secs, imported the wav file into an editor, and inverted it.  Then I looped the playback while sitting behind a small desktop speaker facing the D3.

For a few minutes I couldn't really hear the D3, but that's not to say the room was quiet.  This part is tough to explain, but it's as though a loud white sound is floating in the middle of the room.  I wouldn't want to get on the phone, but I also struggle to hear the D3.  Weird.

Problem with the D3 is it keeps changing the frequencies being emitted.  So the noise cancellation will be working for 12 seconds and then suddenly it sounds like the D3 is shifting gears, and then the inversion no longer works.

Without having a real-time cancellation device, I think the best solution would be to record the D3 over a longer period of time to capture all those modulations.  Then bring that into an editor, invert it, and create a cancellation file that has all the wave forms needed looped.

I'm aware of sound-insulation boxes that have been built, so no need to recommend alternative solutions, this was just an experiment bc I was curious.

Anyone else tried this before?  What kind of results did you get?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 04:52:20 AM

I think you are on the right track with the inversion idea, however you would need to have a real time unit doing it as it would be impossible to have a recording keep up with the constant changes in sound over time as factors such as; air temperature, pressure, humidity, the fans mechanical aging, how many people are in the room, rearranging of furniture, adding removing rigs, and on and on would influence the sound being produced at any given moment.

I used to play around with electronics when I was younger and I recall it wasn't that hard to make a audio inverter. There are some professional speakers that will also invert a signal, but perhaps you could head to your local guitar or music store and see if they have something ready to go to save you a bit of time and effort. However, even with this setup it will depend on where you are in the room compared to your miner and speaker placements for the maximum damping to have effect, as elsewhere in the room or perhaps further out in the house, the sound waves will reinforce each other thus amplifying the effect.

In the end, while it may work, it may just be easier to try and relocate the miners to a room you are not using or to a removed garage or shed if possible, or as you suggested but didn't want to explore a sound isolation box.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: