Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:30:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will this happen?  (Read 2357 times)
nakowa (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:36:19 AM

When will this happen? -- Standard BTC unit become 0.1 or even 0.01 rather than 1?

Now that 1 BTC is equivalent to around $15, using 1 BTC as regular base makes it sort of extravagant to spend BTC.

What do you think? Are there names for 0.1BTC, 0.01BTC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitman_Begins

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 01:42:23 AM

1 BTC is not $15... more like $15-20, we're in a lul right now.

I guess the simple answer is when the value goes up by 1 factor or 10?, then 2 factors of 10?....

I doubt it will ever happen, in the near future at least, but maybe in the distant future if this thing lasts a long time??...don't forget, that many of the 21M BTC to be produced will be lost due to computer crashes...

Want to join Tradehill.com? Please use this referral code as you join: TH-R18919

Join the Bitcoin Randomizer using this link and start winning Bitcoins! http://rand.bitcat.ch/?ref=128

Tip me! 1NBN21CDpuc6Gyns2oqRjDSvxaanMeYfbY
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:42:53 AM

mBTC and µBTC are the most likely. I expect them to start being used after the BTCUSD price exceeds $271.82 and $271,828.18 respectively.

And there are several threads about this already.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 02:12:07 AM

The universal measuring system is metric, so 0.1 is a decicoin, 0.01 is a centicoin, 0.001 is a millicoin etc.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
silverchair

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 03:03:42 AM

The universal measuring system is metric, so 0.1 is a decicoin, 0.01 is a centicoin, 0.001 is a millicoin etc.

I would prefer this one. Roll Eyes

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:23:27 AM

I would prefer this one. Roll Eyes

i'm an american.

with the obvious addition of the satoshi, i would prefer this too.

we seem to have had some difficulties with mars orbits...
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:31:30 AM

Maybe they don't need names but colors to be associated with.

"On sale for only 25BTC" could mean .25 or .0025

Just an idea

you could start to see people post prices like only .002155

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:34:20 AM

Maybe they don't need names but colors to be associated with.

"On sale for only 25BTC" could mean .25 or .0025

Just an idea

And guarantee that Bitcoins can't be used by any entity that must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other-country equivalents...

And, as a partially blind Bitcoin user I oppose any such scheme entirely.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 04:36:22 AM

i'm an american.

Sorry, I guess I should have said universal except for the United States.   Cool

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
silverchair

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 04:45:58 AM

No worries mate  Grin

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:03:10 AM

i'm an american.

Sorry, I guess I should have said universal except for the United States.   Cool

that's ok.  i'm used to it.  i should be.

oh hey!  did you know that adam and eve rode to the corner convenience store on the back of a dinosaur?

yeah.  i'm used to it...
mellowhead

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:12:59 AM

i'm an american.

Why are so many americans opposed to the metric system? The only primary numbering system taught in schools is base-10, so it's not like it's some weird foreign concept....

I mean no offense, I've just never discussed it before. And USA is one of only a handful of countries not using the metric system.

11 Cheers for binary currency!
1BxQsmtVtzJD9uEe5MxcyqFaohpgb76ohs
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:20:59 AM

i'm an american.

Why are so many americans opposed to the metric system? The only primary numbering system taught in schools is base-10, so it's not like it's some weird foreign concept....

I mean no offense, I've just never discussed it before. And USA is one of only a handful of countries not using the metric system.

i'm completely bewildered by that.

not a goddamn clue.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 05:21:29 AM

The USA is the only country not using the metric system.

I don't think Americans are opposed to it - they are just taught a different system.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:22:07 AM

i'm an american.

Sorry, I guess I should have said universal except for the United States.   Cool

I'm certainly not opposed to the metric system. But I also know that there is a stack of patchwork government regulations which mandate Imperial measurements (sometimes, along with metric).

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
mellowhead

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:32:35 AM

i'm an american.

Sorry, I guess I should have said universal except for the United States.   Cool

I'm certainly not opposed to the metric system. But I also know that there is a stack of patchwork government regulations which mandate Imperial measurements (sometimes, along with metric).

I do of course realize that there are a ton of legacy rules and regulations with regards to SAE in America, and that it would not be an overnight change. But it would likely make for a lot less work and confusion for some people who must deal with both systems for their job or whatever.

Jaime Frontero

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:34:07 AM

i'm an american.

in the US, the metric system has been mandated since 1866 in the legal and commercial spheres:

http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasures/Metric/upload/HR-596-Metric-Law-1866.pdf

[PDF ALERT]

i note that since NASA booted a mars landing, they've used metric exclusively.  since 2007.  not counting the odd, existing spacecraft put together with imperial wrenches.

i hate imperial measurement.  i stopped thinking in it when i got my degree in physics, and i simply can't understand why it still exists.

feet, fer chrissakes:  real goddamn FEET!  and some bizarre number of grains of wheat to the inch.  shit.  my head hurts...
mellowhead

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:39:35 AM

Yah, physics and imperial measurement just don't mix. I learned that years ago in high school physics. As soon as my teacher explained the difference between weight and mass, it made total sense.

mellowhead

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:40:46 AM

BTW, sorry for getting this thread so off topic!  Cheesy

pilardi

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:46:22 AM

The USA is the only country not using the metric system.

I don't think Americans are opposed to it - they are just taught a different system.

That is false for two reasons.  The US does use the metric system for many things.  It is taught in school and used by all scientists and most engineers.  It's even used for some consumer products, though not very often.

Secondly, other countries use a strange mix of metric and imperial as well.  Namely England.  England uses miles per hours for road signs and stones for weight.  Yes, I watch Top Gear. Smiley
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 10:08:57 AM

Unless you're typing on a non-Qwerty keyboard, you are also using an inferior system because it's what you know! (as am I)

Quote from: pilardi
Secondly, other countries use a strange mix of metric and imperial as well.  Namely England.  England uses miles per hours for road signs and stones for weight.  Yes, I watch Top Gear.

Yeah, it would be both expensive and dangerous to change all the road signs. We also drive on the left, it would be much cheaper in the long run to drive on the right side of the road, but sometimes you're just stuck with a seemingly arbitrary system for historical reasons.

Only people are weighed and measured in imperial, but the latest generation of kids are using metric there too. I think it will be at least a century before we move to measuring beer in litres!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: