Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:45:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My hardware wallet finally arrived today (took 3 guys to deliver it).  (Read 3831 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:01:56 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2013, 06:30:36 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Smiley

Fire resistant high security storage for paper and digital backup of encrypted keys.  pywallet makes the export easy and secure.

Yes folks despite what "sentry safe" may want you to believe that is what a real (TL rated) safe looks like.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 08:27:59 PM

Sweet!  What are the dimensions/weight of that?  How much did it cost?  What is the estimated time for a pro to crack it if you forget your password?

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 08:35:18 PM

As a reference, what is the code for the safe? I promise to do only good deeds with it.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 02:49:04 PM

I do hope that isn't one of the lousy keypad locks where it's possible to simply smash the keypad and short power to the solenoids to open the safe.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 02:51:37 PM

Haha look pretty secure.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:38:08 PM

That thing looks freakin bomb proof! However you might want to check online to make sure there are no easy exploits. I saw a friend of mine get into his safe by slipping a thin piece of metal past the door. He could get it to touch the combination reset button. 
 Undecided <----- His face looked like this.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:33:29 PM

That thing looks freakin bomb proof! However you might want to check online to make sure there are no easy exploits. I saw a friend of mine get into his safe by slipping a thin piece of metal past the door. He could get it to touch the combination reset button. 
Some nice DEFCON video on safe cracking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lkYQ88kv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYyPfJxmUtI
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:48:02 PM

I do hope that isn't one of the lousy keypad locks where it's possible to simply smash the keypad and short power to the solenoids to open the safe.

There are lousy mechanical locks too. Smiley  In the lock/alarm/safe/security world you generally get what you pay for and that is more important than the choice of mechanical vs electronic.  Until about 10 years ago I strongly favored mechanical locks however good mechanical locks are very expensive.  Even Group 1 locks are vulnerable to xray investigation (avoiding that requires the asininely expensive group 1R locks).   A good electronic lock (one which meets UL Type 1 standard) can be designed much more cost effectively.  That being said there is a lot of crap on the market. 

A secure electronic lock can't be opened by shorting the communication cable. In theory with enough current you could destroy the solenoid circuit board but you aren't going to open the safe that way.   

DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:51:59 PM

It isn't rated against explosives but good safe companies do make those if you need that much security (google "TXTL-60" the X is for explosives). There is no reset button (and shouldn't be on any real safe) but I agree there is a lot of crap on the market, buyer beware.  Generally the best gauge of the security a safe provides is the insurance rating.  Insurance companies don't like paying out insurance premiums.  

Nice videos.  I hadn't seen those but I had seen similar ones.  It is one reason I began favoring electronic locks about ten years ago.  I always swore mechanical locks could never be replaced but the reality is that until we start nanoscale engineering mechanical locks provide feedback and feedback can be exploited.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:53:39 PM

Sweet!  What are the dimensions/weight of that?  How much did it cost?  What is the estimated time for a pro to crack it if you forget your password?

It weighs over 700 lbs and it is the smallest one in its line.  It costs ... a lot.  It probably is overkill for most people looking for a place to store a paper wallet so the OP was kinda tongue in cheek.  It technically is a "hardware wallet" though. Smiley

As for forgetting the combination.  It can't be cracked so that would mean drilling the door. Luckily the door is removable/replaceable so it wouldn't be a total loss but it would make me cry.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:58:12 PM

I bought a fire resistant/water proof/burglary resistant safe to protect my private keys and laptop.  Three days after the purchase, my entire house got flooded. I lost everything except my private keys and laptop!  Whew!
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 06:03:24 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2013, 06:33:33 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Keep in mind that securing the safe itself is important for proper security!

Very good advice.  Unless it has no business being called a "safe"* it is going to be easier for most thieves to remove and figure out how to open later in private.  Always bolt down your safe.

* IMHO anything less than a "B Rating" isn't a safe, it is just a metal box with a lock.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 06:30:58 PM

Keep in mind that securing the safe itself is important for proper security!

Very good advice.  Unless it has no business being called a "safe"* it is going to be easier for most thieves to remove and figure out how to open later.  Always bolt down your safe.  

* IMHO anything less than a "B Rating" isn't a safe, it is just a metal box with a lock.

Agreed. I have some friends that keep passports, cash, and pistol in shitty little "biometric" safes that they SCREW to FURNITURE, not bolt through JOISTS.

I think most people could get away with a metal box with a lock just fine, as it will thwart all but the most determined of thieves if properly installed.

Beyond that, security through obscurity. I've left a chain of rented houses with random floorboards pulled or walls cut away behind trim and moulding. My best was leaving a house that had defaulted to the bank while I rented it with a really, really well constructed fake wall up, framed, insulated and drywalled flush with a pantry wall and giving it a perfect line that would never raise an eyebrow, and was sturdy as shit so no one would ever lean against it and feel it bow. It felt like an exterior wall. Topped that off with three sheathed latches I made that took a heavy duty magnet to throw, and a door that was damn near invisible when closed. Wonder how long it took the new owner and tenants to discover I had cut an 8'x6' breakfast nook out of their house... I once found a prohibition stash room in a house I had lived in for months and felt like a dumbass, but who walks around making sure there is no negative space in your floor plan as a stoned college kid?
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:53:52 PM

Where did you buy it from? Looks pretty amazing to me.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:54:34 PM

Where did you buy it from? Looks pretty amazing to me.

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/

Good company.  Had some problems with the local delivery contractors and they made sure everything was done right.  I only wish they accepted Bitcoins.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:31:31 PM

I'd have that bad boy open in no time, with just a simple knitting needle.

What to know how?

01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:33:14 PM

What to know how?
Go ahead. Yesterday I bought a lockpick set with 6 pratices lock so I have some interest in hardware security.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:42:03 PM

What to know how?
Go ahead. Yesterday I bought a lockpick set with 6 pratices lock so I have some interest in hardware security.

Easy. I hire some thugs, and together we force OP on the floor and I hold the knitting needle an inch away from his eyeball.

"What's the combination?" I'd calmly say.

If he's stubborn he may lose the first eye, but when we move onto his second...

Da Da; Open Sesame....

01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:46:06 PM

What to know how?

Easy. I hire some thugs, and together we force OP on the floor and I hold the knitting needle an inch away from his eyeball.

"What's the combination?" I'd calmly say.

If he's stubborn he may lose the first eye, but when we move on to his second...

Da Da; Open Sesame....

Duh. Something similar happened to a local poker player, Jonathan Duhamel winner of 2010 WSOP. His ex bitch sent two guy to rob his safe.

Duhamel was badly beaten in a home invasion robbery in December 2011. His Main Event bracelet, 500€ in bills and a Rolex watch were stolen. Three individuals have since been arrested and a fourth questioned about the crime.[11] Police have since recovered approximately half of the cash stolen.[12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Duhamel
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:18:51 AM

Sweet!  What are the dimensions/weight of that?  How much did it cost?  What is the estimated time for a pro to crack it if you forget your password?

It weighs over 700 lbs and it is the smallest one in its line.  It costs ... a lot.  It probably is overkill for most people looking for a place to store a paper wallet so the OP was kinda tongue in cheek.  It technically is a "hardware wallet" though. Smiley

As for forgetting the combination.  It can't be cracked so that would mean drilling the door. Luckily the door is removable/replaceable so it wouldn't be a total loss but it would make me cry.
That's a safe! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it [really] cost?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: