Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:52:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: my wallets were stolen just now, can any one help me?  (Read 12146 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:23:19 PM

I agree with the notion that using an Android phone is a flawed solution, but then all "solutions" to this are flawed...

How is the Trezor solution flawed?

Storing 50K on your phone is unwise, but frankly I wouldn't trust that much to a Trezor either

What problem do you imagine there?

It's a black-box solution created by someone else and shipped to me, the only inhibitor of it being cracked open and tampered with being a sticker. There's no way I'm just going to order one, open the box, write down the keys, and drop $50K onto it, feeling secure in the safety of the thing. Expecting that of consumers is just asking for trouble on a massive scale.

In addition, from what I understand it also:

Doesn't display your private keys in plaintext, meaning no importing your keys to other wallets without at least running code to convert the passwords (or, ideally I'm sure, just buying another Trezor.)

Requires physical connection to a computer (so at the very least you need Trezor and another device, one you personally control, and that can access the Trezor, to retrieve your bitcoins.)

Is immediately identifiable for anyone in the know as a definite repository of bitcoins.

...So while it's not as if I won't use one, we can't pretend it has no flaws compared to other bitcoin storage methods.

, or even a laptop with Armory;

You buy a cheap dedicated laptop and cleanly install an OS. Go to bitcoin.org and download Bitcoin-Qt. Go to bitcoinarmory.com and download Armory. Disconnect it permanently from the Internet. Proceed to use Armory for paper backups, storing and spending coins.

What problem do you imagine?

It's the current resource requirements of Armory (and the "disconnect it permanently from the Internet" part) that has me skeptical.

Then of course, there's also the fact that a laptop with applications just lacks the simplicity and longevity of paper wallets. If I want my bitcoins to continue having use even in the event of my sudden demise, this just adds another layer of complexity and issues.

Unless you're just talking about using Armory for the paper wallets it creates. But at that point, once you have the paper wallet, also keeping the keys on your laptop is unnecessary, since what we're looking at here is simple storage. Now, if the scenario is a business where they need somewhat-ready access to all those funds, then yes, Armory makes more sense. Otherwise, printing out the paper wallet (using Armory if desired), wiping any trace from local devices, and storing the wallet and the backups in separate secure locations away from home seems far more sensible.

Blockchain.info should be used as a convenient spending wallet, not storage wallet.

I disagree. While I think it's true no one should use it for savings and storage, I see no reason to use it at all any more, even for spending, if it's at all possible to avoid doing so. If you have a home computer, there are good clients available to use.

What happens if you're away from home? Blockchain.info can give users similar access to spending bitcoins as online email services give users for accessing email, which is access anywhere in the world. Keeping a few hundred dollars worth of spending money in a Blockchain.info wallet seems very convenient and low risk to me.

If the idea is to use one's home and work desktops to access the same wallet, yet you're not a business managing an account of bitcoins, then I have to imagine we have different ideas of what a "spending wallet" would mean. I see a mobile phone as ideal for that; I see no reason to put one's spending wallet online, and limit access to it to browsers only, when it's clear that that method is compromised, unless one must. If one wants to do that for the convenience (rather than necessity,) knowing that at any time the owner of the business or a successful hacker can manipulate your transactions, then all I can say is, we also have very different expectations of people, of ourselves, and of technology in general. I'm rather confused as to how someone can look forward to a dedicated bitcoin hardware device, yet opt to keep their bitcoins in an online wallet rather than on their own open-source smartphone when they don't absolutely have to.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:10:47 AM

My storage solution is an offline Armory installation on a Windows To Go installation on a thumb drive using the Windows 8 Enterprise trial downloaded directly from Microsoft.  This is the easiest and most secure install-and-go method I've found.  What's convenient about this method is that the Windows To Go USB thumb drive is bootable on any system and can be setup with whole drive encryption.  In addition to whole drive encryption Armory wallets should also be encrypted.  From that system I print paper backups of the keys I generate with Armory and print them with an old offline printer.  Also, on first boot of the Windows To Go installation I uninstall all network drivers to ensure that it never connects to a network.

If you have thousands of USD worth of bitcoin, you need to do something like this.  Keys should be generated on freshly installed, and offline OS.  You should make physical backups.  You should encrypt any digital backups.  You should never keep more than an amount your willing to lose in an online wallet or an exchange.

OP, I'm truly sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck with recovery.

Edit: I know it's popular to bag on bitcoins on Windows, but if you setup the OS correctly, can reasonably trust the source ISO, and keep the installation from ever connecting to a network, theft is very unlikely.  I formerly used an offline live Ubuntu installation for this system, but tried it out with Windows To Go as a proof of concept for my friends who don't want to mess with Linux and dependency issues.  I think offline Windows To Go brings offline, encrypted storage closer to the experience of less tech savvy people, though it still takes some technical know how.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
watertech666 (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 02:54:49 AM

GOOD NEWS (maybe).  If it can be shown that you lost your BTC due to a bug in the blockchain.info wallet it looks like you may get your BTC back from the owner of blockchain.info (nice guy).  See:  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277595.0

Specifically this post:

Jesse James has informed me of a problem with the rng used by blockchain.info javascript clients being poorly seeded when initialised in a background webworker task. In some browsers this could lead to duplicate R values being used when signing transactions (Firefox is likely to be particularly vulnerable). This issue effects the transaction signing code only, not the generation of private keys.

Patches have now been deployed, Please ensure you upgrade to the latest version of your Blockchain.info client.

Chrome extension - v2.85
Fixefox extension - v1.97
Mac client - v0.11

Users of the web interface should clear their browsers cache before next login.

Only a handful of addresses are known to be affected thus far. Likely if you have been affected by this problem your coins will have been taken already. All affected users will be refunded in full, please PM me or email help@blockchain.info.
Any one can know I lose my BTC due to a bug in the blockchain.info wallet ?

Water Filter supplier who accept bitcoin.  http://www.asiawaterfilter.com
watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 02:57:50 AM

let us know if blockchain gave you your bitoins back.
Not yet. I just email  <help@blockchain.info> today.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:59:30 AM

Was this a brain wallet or a regular blockchain wallet?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 03:03:30 AM

Was this a brain wallet or a regular blockchain wallet?
regular blockchain wallet

watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 03:44:53 AM

Can you contact blockchain to get a record of logins to your account?  You may have a key stroke logger program that is installed on your machine and they just collected your login info from that data.  If blockchain shows someone logged in as you, at a time that doesn't look familiar to you, they probably used more traditional hacking methods to get access.  Let's rule out the easy stuff first.
Thank you very much. I just contact with blockchain.info  . I'll do as they asked and let all know the next step.

mises

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:12:30 AM

unfortunately. my 2 wallets were stolen 2 hours ago by same thief. thief's address is 1FeUJVtvchu3NREJnACpWAYG6B1xN4oBKB . he stole 42 btc from 1Mq2Q1BMicK4ECE6GNR6mDTPdkxwxDe3mc    and  221.84btc from 1CzAncjXYjtiXNC4CNAw4RoKdQLoi72xn    

can any one help me to track this address and catch this thief?

Really sorry to hear this happened OP
cosurgi

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 07:57:05 AM

Regarding the very bad information in my post which is now quoted here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277601.msg2980088#msg2980088

piuk and others corrected me and I removed that post within minutes.  How on Earth did you dig up my deleted stupidity?

Why did you re-post my deleted stupidity?

Please delete your post, which quotes my deleted post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277601.msg2980088#msg2980088

as it contains a lot of bad information.

Thanks!
sorry, my bad Smiley Post deleted.

watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 09:03:41 AM

Holy fuck. Sorry for the loss. I don't know the link... but there is a data recovery service provided by a company for BTC. First of it's kind.
Yeah, but what they can do is limited to:

"The company is offering a Bitcoin retrieval service to individuals, companies and businesses around the globe who may need Bitcoin recovered from damaged hard drives, memory cards and mobile phones." http://www.sytech-consultants.com/

But also

'In a world first, SYTECH has announced a stolen Bitcoin tracing and recovery service; turning its decades of digital forensics expertise to tracing online Bitcoin criminals and recovering stolen Bitcoin for their clients.'

From http://www.sytech-consultants.com/blog/2013/worlds-first-stolen-bitcoin-tracing-service-and-bitcoin-data-recovery-high-profile-digital-forensic-services-company-sytech-embraces-bitcoin

If it was my coins stolen, I think I'd offer them the job if they would take no more than 50% of what they recovered.
I'd like SYTECH's help. But How can I contact them?

watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 01:01:21 PM

get answer from Jesse James (blockchain.info) as bellow  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277595.new

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1129

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 03:47:11 PM

Any one can know I lose my BTC due to a bug in the blockchain.info wallet ?

This question was answered above directly by the man himself.  Unfortunately your coins are not lost due to the RNG bug:

It is correct. Click "Show scripts & coinbase" for these both transactions. You will see that both used the same random number: 04b8c7b27846a1df35a87763f75b421a4f8148d17ca91c2daab6838aa5b04d48e373bba0cc1e081 be696bc626296febcdccab5336a43b8861a91afa57865bbb3f5

That is the public key of the address, not the random number (public keys always being with 04). These addresses are not affected by the random number issue.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Jesse James

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 10:34:19 PM

get answer from Jesse James (blockchain.info) as bellow  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277595.new

I did a bit more transaction following ... it appears another address implicated with the thief address is 13KLNHPWLtWKTtKtr4fY5pu4Di4aQVLzPf.  This address received a coinad payout on 2013-04-10 07:54:10.

Coinad probably has the guy's email address.  Could be a dead end if their policy prevents them from handing this information out, or if they don't validate email addresses of members, or if he gave them a throwaway address.

Keep in mind, my evidence linking these two addresses is not 100% ... but it's pretty high.

Another possible lead is that the thief seems to think using Satoshi Dice a few times after a heist is an effective laundering technique.  In this transaction he apparently submitted his gambling transaction directly to blockchain.info ... so depending on how much they log, they may have the IP address of the thief.  This could also be a dead end if he's using Tor or some other proxy ... but seeing as he apparently thinks using Satoshi Dice makes tracking stolen coins harder, he probably isn't the brightest hacker in the world.
watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 12:40:27 PM

Just now one of the lose address (1CzAncjXYjtiXNC4CNAw4RoKdQLoi72xn )made 2 new transaction. this address is 1dice1e6pdhLzzWQq7yMidf6j8eAg7pkY for SatoshiDICE 0.0015% . What should i do now for next?

watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 01:18:45 PM

I did a bit more transaction following ... it appears another address implicated with the thief address is 13KLNHPWLtWKTtKtr4fY5pu4Di4aQVLzPf.  This address received a coinad payout on 2013-04-10 07:54:10.

Coinad probably has the guy's email address.  Could be a dead end if their policy prevents them from handing this information out, or if they don't validate email addresses of members, or if he gave them a throwaway address.

Keep in mind, my evidence linking these two addresses is not 100% ... but it's pretty high.

Another possible lead is that the thief seems to think using Satoshi Dice a few times after a heist is an effective laundering technique.  In this transaction he apparently submitted his gambling transaction directly to blockchain.info ... so depending on how much they log, they may have the IP address of the thief.  This could also be a dead end if he's using Tor or some other proxy ... but seeing as he apparently thinks using Satoshi Dice makes tracking stolen coins harder, he probably isn't the brightest hacker in the world.
Thank you Jesse. I have send messenger to coinad.com . Hope to receive their reply soon.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 01:43:38 PM

Just now one of the lose address (1CzAncjXYjtiXNC4CNAw4RoKdQLoi72xn )made 2 new transaction. this address is 1dice1e6pdhLzzWQq7yMidf6j8eAg7pkY for SatoshiDICE 0.0015% . What should i do now for next?

You haven't tried to send money from that address recently, have you?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
watertech666 (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 02:04:04 PM

no. i didn't do anything from this address after stolen.

saif313

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:20:48 PM

I am shocked to read this I just lost 150$ and restless for many days and its a huge amount feeling sorry for you Sad

kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:23:12 PM

I am shocked to read this I just lost 150$ and restless for many days and its a huge amount feeling sorry for you Sad

How did you loose that? Same story?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:27:29 PM

Then it sounds like he actually has your keys. Which makes it even more strange that he left change in the address earlier. Laziness on his part? Is he having to manually enter transactions or something? It's all very odd.

So far the evidence indicates:

• The PRNG isn't the issue at hand.
  • The thief has your keys.
  • The money-snatching process isn't automated, at least not in any efficient way.

My best guess is, he has your password, and is actually logging onto blockchain.info and moving money from your address.

HOW he got your password is the tricky part that would reveal a lot. If you already know if your password was weak, that could solve that right away. If you DON'T believe you have a weak password, then likely your system is compromised. (There's a way to test that, but it would involve spending a little more BTC, which probably isn't necessary at this point.)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: