Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:40:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Groklaw - Site going down due to Obama's NSA's Spying  (Read 583 times)
Grover (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:30:57 AM
Last edit: August 21, 2013, 03:58:20 AM by Grover

For the title if it was 2006 everyone would be going to town on Bush.  This is term 2 in a different admin so this is Obama's spying.

I just read about this today.  I didn't even know about the site nor have I ever used it until today.

What I can gather, and it's on the front page of the site.

http://groklaw.net/

Is that people use email for the forum and due to Lavabit shutting down as well as all other known privacy concerns concerning email this useful site is closing the forum section.

Of course my first thought was of the Bitcoin community, all the brilliant minds here and of course the facts that sites such as SR and Atlantis function in TOR, so I am merely posting here to suggest that possibly there are people here who can help the owner/admin of Groklaw to set up an as secure as can be system for their forum to continue functioning.

If anyone who has the talent and skills to help is interested in helping the site I guess contact Groklaw's admin.

[my thought is it seems to me one could use TOR to set up an anonymous email and have all the email serving on the site done in TOR. Then the site could be viewed in TOR or on the regular web. I don't know if this is viable.  This is just my initial idea of how this may be solved.  There  may be glaring security issues that I am not aware of that makes this idea unworkable.]

This is quoted from a story on CNet.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57599288-38/surveillance-concerns-bring-an-end-to-crusading-site-groklaw/
Surveillance concerns bring an end to crusading site Groklaw

A legally informed Web site critical of lawsuits from the SCO Group, Apple, Oracle, and patent trolls shuts down because its founder says e-mail can't be protected from government scrutiny.
Stephen Shankland
by Stephen Shankland
August 20, 2013 4:11 AM PDT
Citing concerns about privacy and government surveillance, Pamela Jones is shutting down her site Groklaw, which for years took on what she and vocal fans saw as wrongheaded legal action in the tech domain.

"There is now no shield from forced exposure," Jones said in final blog post Tuesday. Groklaw depended on collaboration over e-mail, "and there is now no private way, evidently, to collaborate."

Jones, a paralegal, started her site a decade ago taking on the SCO Group's legal attack on IBM and others involving Linux and Unix intellectual property. She rebutted the company's position, detailed the arcana of the lawsuit proceedings, and shared legal filings on which the case rested. Volunteers attended some hearings in person, and collaborative efforts found just any hole that could be poked in SCO's case. The site archives show hundreds of posts since its start in May 2003.

As SCO's case fizzled, Groklaw directed its righteous indignation toward other legal cases, including the storm of patent infringement cases in the tech world, digital rights management, open-source licensing, and Psystar's Mac clones.

In an e-mail, Jones said Groklaw won't disappear, though activity on the site will.

continued at site
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:42:03 AM

Gov is screwing with MT Gox, i think it is more important to bitcoin
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com