Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:11:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [RFC] removal of "getwork" RPC mining protocol  (Read 1404 times)
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 04:26:08 PM

Pull request https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2905 proposes to remove "getwork" RPC from bitcoind: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Getwork

On mainnet, almost everybody uses a pool (and therefore, not "getwork" directly to bitcoind).  Those few who solo mine use a pool server to talk to bitcoind via "getblocktemplate" or other means.  Tests show that attempts to solo mine on mainnet via "getwork" lead to delays and problems.

On testnet, getwork has a better chance of continuing to work.  Nevertheless, the same tools (open source pool servers or p2pool) are available for testnet, obviating the continued need to support getwork.

However, at one time, getwork to bitcoind was widely used.  I wanted to poke the audience, to gauge response to removing "getwork."  If a driving use case remains of which we're unaware, speak up, please.  We don't want to break anybody needlessly.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:45:27 PM

Can't we deprecate this functionality? "getwork" could return a parameter ("note", for example) with value "Deprecated, read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277631.0 for more info". Anyone who attempts to use it will see the note. Just in case if s/he didn't see this thread.
astutiumRob

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 08:55:53 PM

Some pools are still using getwork (btcmine for example) - and therefore potentially needing it for bitcoind as well.

If it's not causing an issue being there, put it on a deprecated list for removal at some future point Smiley

www.astutium.com - domains | hosting | vps | servers | cloud - proud to accept bitcoins. UK colocation for BFL and KNC ASICs in Tier3+ DC
Register Domains with BTC
Want to make some bitcoins ? Miner on ebay | Buy GH/s
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 09:01:12 PM

Some pools are still using getwork (btcmine for example) - and therefore potentially needing it for bitcoind as well.
Really unlikely, offering getwork to miners has nothing to do with using it themselves. If they do, they are probably also running bitcoind from sometime in the mid 1940s and won't care... but if they are using it they should report so here!
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 09:14:27 PM

Really unlikely, offering getwork to miners has nothing to do with using it themselves. If they do, they are probably also running bitcoind from sometime in the mid 1940s and won't care... but if they are using it they should report so here!

How do pools actually operate, I assume they don't expose an actual bitcoind as their network input?

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: