Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:14:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Purchase, Changelly and Electrum Wallet  (Read 67 times)
JefferingoGringo (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 10:53:33 PM

Using Changelly I made a purchase of bitcoins, which I put into my Electrum wallet and the first address within that wallet.  I know there are slow speeds right now for the transaction to fulfill and I know my checking acct has been debited the money, but how long should it take?  And how exactly does it show up in my electrum wallet?  Just by opening my wallet on my computer, will it show up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:06:55 PM

Using Changelly I made a purchase of bitcoins, which I put into my Electrum wallet and the first address within that wallet.  I know there are slow speeds right now for the transaction to fulfill and I know my checking acct has been debited the money, but how long should it take?  And how exactly does it show up in my electrum wallet?  Just by opening my wallet on my computer, will it show up?

Yes.
Opening the wallet will start it's synchronization ( with electrum it takes just few seconds). Once wallet is synced you should see a green circle at bottom right corner.

You should see incoming tx almost instantly. But it will take some time to confirm.

How long it takes? Nobody can say for sure. It depends on how much fee was paid.
To get you into picture ... there is currently 170k unconfirmed transactions and blockchain can confirm 2k-3k txs every 10 minutes (in average) .. and new txs keep coming.

JefferingoGringo (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:26:58 PM

Thank you Wusolini!  That makes me feel somewhat better, if my calculations are correct, it could take about 14 hours. 
Wusolini
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:34:31 PM

Thank you Wusolini!  That makes me feel somewhat better, if my calculations are correct, it could take about 14 hours.  

You're welcome.

Just to add. It's not that simple  Grin
e.g if now everybody going to be sending tx with higher fee than your tx then it will push your transaction back ( in the queue ... because miners prefers to include transactions with higher fees first and no matter for how long the tx is waiting). So it depends on other users as well.
Try to check https://bitcoinfees.earn.com/
find how much satoshi per byte your tx has ... and read the estimated number of blocks it takes to confirm.

JefferingoGringo (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:01:54 AM

Hi Wusolini,  Thank you again.  It is definitely like learning a new language and navigating a city I've never been to in a foreign land all without the benefit of a friend or guide.  I've been trying my best to understand this new landscape and when I initially bought Etheruem in October, I was just touching upon a few catch phrases.

Now, I have no idea how much satoshi, there was a fee of $15 of my $100 purchase.  Again I used changelly and logging back in now, I do not see my transaction in the history.  I am somewhat concerned my money may be lost.  I did use changelly in October without any issues, received an email back with my transaction, etc.  So far I have not received anything.

Being a newbie, and looking upon your legendary status, I wonder if I am too much of a bother to ask these questions?  When I mention my miniscule investment into crypto currencies to people here in Maine, no one has any clue what I am talking about.

-jeff
Wusolini
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:17:57 AM

Hi Wusolini,  Thank you again.  It is definitely like learning a new language and navigating a city I've never been to in a foreign land all without the benefit of a friend or guide.  I've been trying my best to understand this new landscape and when I initially bought Etheruem in October, I was just touching upon a few catch phrases.

Now, I have no idea how much satoshi, there was a fee of $15 of my $100 purchase.  Again I used changelly and logging back in now, I do not see my transaction in the history.  I am somewhat concerned my money may be lost.  I did use changelly in October without any issues, received an email back with my transaction, etc.  So far I have not received anything.

Being a newbie, and looking upon your legendary status, I wonder if I am too much of a bother to ask these questions?  When I mention my miniscule investment into crypto currencies to people here in Maine, no one has any clue what I am talking about.

-jeff

Don't worry. I like helping others and educating them (makes me feel I'm smarter   Grin  ... just kidding no offense)

The fee size seems reasonable. But something is really weird. The transaction should be visible in electrum history (in grey color as unconfirmed).

Lets take it from scratch.
Do you still know the address where the coins supposed to be sent?
Would be much easier if you can share it (so I can check the status myself and no need to ask you questions) ... It's private info so you don't need to share it if don't want to.

edit: FYI it's safe to share your address (I cant reach your funds) ... i will have just "read only access"

JefferingoGringo (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:30:38 AM

Should I message you directly?

I looked at changelly again, and I saw if I made the same purchase again it would have a fee of .00004246 BTC, but coverting that to Satoshis is I think 4,246.  That's not right is it?  Also changelly sent me through simplex and that is when the added $15 happened.
Wusolini
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:37:14 AM

No, thats not correct.
And yes, you can PM me ... but you can post it here so others can check I'm not saying bullshits.

JefferingoGringo (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:59:48 AM

I tried to message you, but I guess your settings do not allow "newbies."
The electrum bitcoin address I used to receive from changelly is
1Bw1w1mBA7wbqwQ6zLyn4E3pQ5KYmdFSKN
-jeff
Wusolini
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 01:20:04 AM

I tried to message you, but I guess your settings do not allow "newbies."
The electrum bitcoin address I used to receive from changelly is
1Bw1w1mBA7wbqwQ6zLyn4E3pQ5KYmdFSKN
-jeff

Oh, didn't realized that ... never mind.

Bad news are the address has not received any coins yet ( not even unconfirmed incoming transaction ).

You can check it using any explorer. e.g. https://blockchain.info/address/1Bw1w1mBA7wbqwQ6zLyn4E3pQ5KYmdFSKN

This is how it would look like if there are txs.  https://blockchain.info/address/17i8kLY2BQb6w11Nq1CkN2S6EozS1GJes3   ( this address received 2 transactions).
This is detail one of the incoming txs https://blockchain.info/tx/90ce7df52960b0f42e55e472433f91a4aba93f187fb19106e05c5c00e9114492 (as you can see there is "Fee per byte" value 115.556 sat/B ... that's the value miners are looking for ... higher fee per byte = earlier confirmation )

If you are interested in more details here's info how the fees works: https://support.earn.com/digital-currency/bitcoin-transactions-and-fees/how-do-i-calculate-my-transaction-fee

I have no experience with changelly nor with simplex so don't know how it works.
Did they provide you any info about sending those coins? Tx ID? Where did you get info the fee was $15?

JefferingoGringo (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 01:12:29 PM

Hi Wusolini

Yes I think my money is lost.  The $15 was from Simplex.  I have used Coinbase now and made a successful purchase of $50 worth of BTC.  And my ultimate goal yesterday was to buy verge and of course now that has doubled today.  What is the best way and for me the simplest user friendly way to convert BTC into XVG ??
-Jeff
Wusolini
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:06:28 PM

Don't give up so easily. Open support ticket with either simplex or changelly. Be prepared to provide proofs how you paid, where the coins supposed to be sent etc.

Standard procedure to convert coins is open account with exchange that supports both, deposit and trade ... see https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/verge/#markets for verge supported exchanges ... it's not the simplest but at current price swings I consider it much safer than using simple converting services like shapeshift (at least you know exact price you'll be buying them for)
Just be aware there are some limits for minimal deposits ( as well as withdrawal fees ).

You can also try to create topic in marketplace section. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=53.0  (trade only with trustworthy members or use escrow).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: