Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:38:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE: LocalBitcoins Screenshot Scam  (Read 3290 times)
yuriygeorge (OP)

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

I hate my family

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 09:03:58 PM

Beware of this guy: Sucram on local bitcoins:
https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/sucraM/

He just scammed a lot of people, asking for a screenshot of the pre-funding page "for verification/security" and then when he gets the screenshot, he releases the funds. The screenshot has the authentication code to release the funds. WATCH OUT!

Someone on there lost over $8,000...

Also this guy's number is:  1-913-200-1331. Need to come up with a way to counter-scam this jackass.

▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄██▀▀▀               ▀▀▄▄
      ▄▄█▀                         ▀▀▄
    ▄█▀                        ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀█
  ▄██                     ▄▄█▀▀     ▄▀
 ██▀                 ▄▄██████▄    ▄▀
███               ▄▄██████████▄  ▀
██             ▄▄█████████████▀
██          ▄▄█████████████▀
██        ▄ ▀██████████████
██▄    ▄██▀▀  ▀▀████████▀
 ██   ██▀        ▀▀████▀
  ██ █▀
   ▀█
  █▄ ▀▄
 ▄▀    ▀▄

SatoshiGames.io
██████

█████

████

████

█████

██████
               ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█  ▄█     ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   █  ▀ █            ▀▀▀▀▄
█  █▄        ▄▀                    ▄▀
▀▄ █ ▀       █         ▄           █
 █          █        ▄██▄         ▄▀
 █         ▄▀     ▄██████▄       ▄▀
 ▀▄        █    ▄█████████▄      █
  █       █      ██████████▄    ▄▀
  █      ▄▀        ▀████████   ▄▀
  ▀▄     █        ▄████▀▀▀▀    █
   █    █          ▀▀▀█       ▄▀
   █   ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▀▄  █                     █
    █  ▀▄▄              █ ▄ ▄▀
    █     ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄       █▀ ▄▀
    ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄█

▄▄▄▄██████▄▄█▄▄██████▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████████
▄▀▄           █           ▄▀▄
█   █         ▄█▄         █   █
█     █        ███        █     █
█       █       ███       █       █
█         █     █████     █         █
█           █    █████    █           █
█             █   █████   █             █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █████   █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
▀███████████▀    █████    ▀███████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ███       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄███▄
▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
BTC
██████

█████

████

████

█████

██████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stex2009
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 09:34:20 PM

was he using TOR, did you check?
Localbitcoins may be able to provide you his IP.

So, get his:
IP
phone no (trackable who created this googleVOIP).

Then, Police report with those details?
KingOfSports

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 10:33:00 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277744.0

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 11:04:44 PM

He attempted to scam me as well.  He tried to get 55 bitcoins from me using the same technique.  I realized what he was attempting and avoided getting caught in the scam, but I saw that there was a good chance he was going to get away with it with some others.  I posted two posts regarding his scam here in bitcointalk to warn people:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86012.msg2966477#msg2966477

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277744.0

This scam appears to have crossed multiple state boundaries, and therefore is possibly an interstate fraud case for the FBI.  If anyone contacts the FBI, let me know.  I'll call and share the details of the attempted fraud against me.

Like Trendon Shavers, we need to let these scammers know that they can't get away with fraud just because it's "bitcoin".

bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:30:15 PM

Beware of this guy: Sucram on local bitcoins:
https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/sucraM/

He just scammed a lot of people, asking for a screenshot of the pre-funding page "for verification/security" and then when he gets the screenshot, he releases the funds. The screenshot has the authentication code to release the funds. WATCH OUT!

Someone on there lost over $8,000...

Also this guy's number is:  1-913-200-1331. Need to come up with a way to counter-scam this jackass.
I did an investigation on him: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279648.0
So if you know of anyone who got victimized by this kid, send them to that topic so they can do a proper report to the FBI and to the local authorities.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:56:05 PM

@Bitsalame,

DOX master  Grin

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 09:22:36 AM

Local BTC needs to fix their shit NOW.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 01:58:51 PM

There isn't any amount of programming that localbitcoins can do that can prevent victims from giving away their bitcoins when fooled by a scammer.  localbitcoins can't reprogram the brains of the humans that use their site.  What exactly do you want them to fix?
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:16:32 PM

There isn't any amount of programming that localbitcoins can do that can prevent victims from giving away their bitcoins when fooled by a scammer.  localbitcoins can't reprogram the brains of the humans that use their site.  What exactly do you want them to fix?

Exactly. if you can read and follow instructions, you should be fine. No need to send anyone the screenshot, as you can tell when the transaction is funded right on the site when you log in. When the funds are released, THEN the person selling the coins gets the code, letting the buyer know that the coins are now in the buyer's wallet.

For that matter, even if he doesn't fund the transaction before the meet, you can still go, since he can fund the transaction while the two of you drink coffee. I think it takes 3 confirmations before the transaction can proceed. Meanwhile, you can talk, it's quite stress free. When he gives you the release code, you KNOW the coins are in your wallet. (This is from the point of view of the buyer, sorry, I've never sold any... yet).

If you really want to be safe, you can give localbitcoins your mobile number, and SMS texts will be sent to you upon funding/release actions having taken place. Very well thought out, but you MUST follow the rules and use "COMMON" sense. The Heinlein definition of Common Sense?
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:18:30 PM

There isn't any amount of programming that localbitcoins can do that can prevent victims from giving away their bitcoins when fooled by a scammer.  localbitcoins can't reprogram the brains of the humans that use their site.  What exactly do you want them to fix?

I think they should give release code via sms upon sellers request instead of showing code on website.
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:50:51 PM

Doesnt matter what measures are taken, social engineering will always work with UNTRAINED personnel/customers.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 04:25:11 PM

I think they have done a great job.  You now have to explicitly click a link to have the code be shown.  I toyed with him and sent him the screen shot he asked for (without clicking the "show" link of course).  So he now has to ask you to click the show link and then sent the screen shot.  That should make most people stop and think (we hope).

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:16:27 PM

I think they have done a great job.  You now have to explicitly click a link to have the code be shown.  I toyed with him and sent him the screen shot he asked for (without clicking the "show" link of course).  So he now has to ask you to click the show link and then sent the screen shot.  That should make most people stop and think (we hope).
At first I thought that his game was not to get the release code (because he was saying that it is okay to send him the screenshot since the code is blocked out), so I thought that he needed the screenshot to social engineer the support team to convince them that he was the legitimate user of our accounts.
Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:22:43 PM

Email the release code instead of displaying it on the screen?

GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 06:38:22 PM

Email the release code instead of displaying it on the screen?

And the scammer will ask the victim to forward a copy of the email.  What does that solve?
Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 07:27:30 PM

The simply answer is to just remove the release code "feature" - something that can be done quite easily in code. It is, after all, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 07:44:20 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2013, 07:58:12 PM by DannyHamilton

The simply answer is to just remove the release code "feature" - something that can be done quite easily in code. It is, after all, a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

The release code is a solution to transferring bitcoins between users in a face-to-face meeting location that doesn't have WiFi.

It allows fast (nearly instant) transactions that don't require any confirmations as long as you trust localbitcoins.  It prevents the possibilities of the receiver being a victim of a double-spend attack.

With the release code feature, the only thing the buyer needs to have with them at the meeting is the cash they are using to pay with, and the only thing the seller needs to have with them is an old cheap cell phone capable of sending txt messages.

It isn't a necessary feature for some people, but for those that use it, it is a very valuable and desired feature.
Lionel

Activity: 613
Merit: 305

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:04:57 PM

did those scammers have 100% positive feedbacks? how many feedbacks?
saif313

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 11:14:55 PM

did those scammers have 100% positive feedbacks? how many feedbacks?

no limit they can take as much they can no body can stop them from to do this

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:38:24 AM

wow ... thanks for posting this
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: